Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Later from Hard Case Crime in 2021

Comments

• edited March 2021

Good Morning America: Stephen King talks about his new book, 'Later'

The king of horror and one of the greatest storytellers of our time also shares what he thinks his character Carrie would be up to during quarantine

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • That was pretty good! 🤣
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited March 2021
    My Later story.

Went to grocery store in hopes the book section would have it.  Of course, they didn't have it out because they don't realize how important a day this is.  So, I made the decision to drive to my Barnes & Noble.  I still had gift card money anyway, so I committed to just do it.

I get there, no Stephen King book in sight.  I'm looking everywhere it could possibly be.  Nowhere.  So, I resign myself that I'm going to have to ask for help.  Go to help desk and this geeky looking guy is standing there first to be helped.  The guy behind the counter asks him, "How can I help you?"  And the guy says, "Stephen King's new book is supposed to be out today." He starts tapping on his computer and I say, "I'm in the same boat with this guy." And i point to the geek.   Store guy had to look it up.  Obviously not a fan. And lo and behold,  they hadn't even unpacked them yet. 

So, he tells the guy, I'm going to have to go in back to get that.  And I say, get two.  Geeky me and geeky other guy then talk about Stephen King.  Because that's what you do when you find another Stephen King fan out in the wild, in their natural habitat.

So, then, I decide I'm going to stop and get Chinese food for lunch/dinner because I'm reading today and no one is throwing a damn "I'm hungry" monkey wrench into my plans.  Of course, persons unnamed would feed themselves, but I would get attitude like it's my "job" to slop the hogs.

I'm waiting for my Chinese food to-go and I start reading Later.  No spoilers here, but in the first chapter, the kid and his mom get Chinese.  I'm waiting for Chinese food and then I read that.  It's a damn friggin' sign.  I only read that first chapter.  I became very verklempt because it was like seeing an old friend after a year of isolation.  And the writing was just our Stephen through and through.  It made me so happy and so sad all at the same time.  

I have no idea if this story is good or crap -- but for that one brief shining moment, it was my Stephen King Camelot.

NotaroGrant87FlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideymanKurbencatNeesy
  • My Later story.

Went to grocery store in hopes the book section would have it.  Of course, they didn't have it out because they don't realize how important a day this is.  So, I made the decision to drive to my Barnes & Noble.  I still had gift card money anyway, so I committed to just do it.

I get there, no Stephen King book in sight.  I'm looking everywhere it could possibly be.  Nowhere.  So, I resign myself that I'm going to have to ask for help.  Go to help desk and this geeky looking guy is standing there first to be helped.  The guy behind the counter asks him, "How can I help you?"  And the guy says, "Stephen King's new book is supposed to be out today." He starts tapping on his computer and I say, "I'm in the same boat with this guy." And i point to the geek.   Store guy had to look it up.  Obviously not a fan. And lo and behold,  they hadn't even unpacked them yet. 

So, he tells the guy, I'm going to have to go in back to get that.  And I say, get two.  Geeky me and geeky other guy then talk about Stephen King.  Because that's what you do when you find another Stephen King fan out in the wild, in their natural habitat.

So, then, I decide I'm going to stop and get Chinese food for lunch/dinner because I'm reading today and no one is throwing a damn "I'm hungry" monkey wrench into my plans.  Of course, persons unnamed would feed themselves, but I would get attitude like it's my "job" to slop the hogs.

I'm waiting for my Chinese food to-go and I start reading Later.  No spoilers here, but in the first chapter, the kid and his mom get Chinese.  I'm waiting for Chinese food and then I read that.  It's a damn friggin' sign.  I only read that first chapter.  I became very verklempt because it was like seeing an old friend after a year of isolation.  And the writing was just our Stephen through and through.  It made me so happy and so sad all at the same time.  

I have no idea if this story is good or crap -- but for that one brief shining moment, it was my Stephen King Camelot.

That was a great story Hedda, it put a smile on my face, thank you🙂
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideymanKurbencatNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    My Later story.

Remember me fondly. <3
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTspideymanKurbencatNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    My Later story.

Remember me fondly. <3
    I'm going to kick yer ass if you go all morbid on us. 😜

Perfect moment! I love it when we find one of us (sssssss) out there in humansville. 💜😍
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTspideymanKurbencatNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Notaro said:
    My Later story.

Remember me fondly. <3
    I'm going to kick yer ass if you go all morbid on us. 😜

Perfect moment! I love it when we find one of us (sssssss) out there in humansville. 💜😍
    Nope. No morbid.  Just a comment.  
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTspideymancatNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    My Later story.

Remember me fondly. <3
    ...always darlin'....always....
    Hedda GablerspideymanFlakeNoirNotarocatNeesy
  • ....the interview was classic Steve...."just folks".......
    Hedda GablerspideymanKurbenFlakeNoirNotarocatNeesy
  • I am forcing myself to drag this out.  I let myself have about 40 pages yesterday — hopefully i can keep reigned in with another 40 today. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • Be advised that there's a lengthy preview of Joyland at the back, so the end might come more quickly than you expect!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • Don't mind me.  I just got back on library computers for the second time since 3/13/20.

Publishers Weekly

MWA Grand Master King (The Outsider) demonstrates that no good deed goes unpunished in this gruesome yet mesmerizing paranormal coming-of-age story. For as long as he can remember, 13-year-old Jamie Conklin has been able to see dead people, and images of bloody homicide victims and grotesquely disfigured casualties of traffic accidents haunt him. His gift is sometimes a blessing, as when his protective mother, Tia, an industrious literary agent whose company is on the verge of bankruptcy, exploits his talent for monetary gain, cementing her bestselling client's legacy in the process. More often, though, it's a curse, slyly capitalized on by Tia's girlfriend, NYPD Det. Liz Dutton, who pressures Jamie to aid her in bringing an end to a notorious mass bomber's 18-year reign of terror. Inevitably, perhaps, Jamie's virtuous deeds expose him to heinous things no boy should see and bring wrath and vengeance and cruelty upon him. Gory and unnerving, this twisty chiller has sufficient sins and revelations to keep readers pursuing the action to its breathless conclusion. King fans are in for a treat. Agent: Chuck Verrill, Darhansoff & Verrill. (Mar.)

Booklist

Teenager Jamie Conklin warns the reader at the outset that "this is a horror story." He's right--we learn in the opening chapter that Jamie can see dead people, sometimes with innards on display--but King's beguiling short novel is really more of a genre-bender, combining the horror with a sensitive coming-of-age tale and an old-school crime thriller. There's also a nifty publishing subplot involving Jamie's literary-agent mother, Tia, whose struggling business (she lost her savings when a Ponzi scheme imploded) depends on the continued output of a best-selling author of historical romances. Jamie would prefer to keep his eyes closed to dead people, but when his mother and her lover, police detective Liz, both in serious jams, are forced to admit the teenager is telling the truth about his special ability, Jamie is inveigled into doing some paranormal sleuthing. Cue more innards. But there are also relationship issues between Tia and Liz, leading to an even bigger jam (with demons) for Jamie. In his signature style, King keeps the narrative cantering along, mixing lots of pop culture into the flow and building Jamie into a witty and thoroughly empathetic lead (recalling the teens in King's It and his novella "The Body" (on which the movie Stand by Me was based). This may be the most ingratiating mix of sweet and sour since Daniel Kraus' genre-bender Blood Sugar (2019).

Kirkus Reviews

Horrormeister King follows a boy's journey from childhood to adolescence among the dead--and their even creepier living counterparts. Jamie Conklin sees dead people. Not for very long--they fade away after a week or so--but during that time he can talk to them, ask them questions, and compel them to answer truthfully. His uncanny gift at first seems utterly unrelated to his mother Tia's work as a literary agent, but the links become disturbingly clear when her star client, Regis Thomas, dies shortly after starting work on the newest entry in his bestselling Roanoke Saga, and Tia and her lover, NYPD Detective Liz Dutton, drive Jamie out to Cobblestone Cottage to encourage the late author to dictate an outline of his latest page-turner so that Tia, who's fallen on hard times, can write it in his name instead of returning his advance and her cut. Now that she's seen what Jamie can do, Liz takes it on herself to arrange an interview in which Jamie will ask Kenneth Therriault, a serial bomber who's just killed himself, where he's stowed his latest explosive device before it can explode posthumously. His post-mortem encounter with Therriault exacts a high price on Jamie, who now finds himself more haunted than ever, though he never gives up on the everyday experiences in which King roots all his nightmares. Crave chills and thrills but don't have time for a King epic? This will do the job before bedtime. Not that you'll sleep. Copyright (c) Kirkus Reviews, used with permission.

BevVincentNotaroHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Read it! Loved it! At only 247 pages it feels more akin to reading a short story but damn it was good. 

Later needs a sequel which, of course, should be titled Sooner.   :)
    FlakeNoirNotaroGrant87Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I was deceived by the Joyland excerpt at the back of the book -- the end of Later came far sooner than expected!
    Lou_SytsmaGrant87KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablercatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I was deceived by the Joyland excerpt at the back of the book -- the end of Later came far sooner than expected!
    I'm glad you mentioned it, thanks! 
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Got my copy today... I'm a happy camper.

FlakeNoirHedda GablercatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    Got my copy today... I'm a happy camper.

Sweet! I'm only up to page 155... get reading. 😁
    NotaroHedda GablercatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Washington Post paperback bestsellers

March 10, 2021 at 7:44 a.m. CST

Fiction

1LATER (Hard Case, $14.95). By Stephen King. A boy with unnatural powers is drawn into a murder investigation.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotarocatGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Notaro said:

....I see a career in hand modeling in your future there buckaroo....
    Hedda GablerKurbennot_nadinecatFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:

....I see a career in hand modeling in your future there buckaroo....
     :D  :D
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNotaroNeesy
  • Just started, i thought, and then i noticed i was on page 85. I'll be lucky if this book is still unread by saturday. Hooked me instantly. Very good.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablercatFlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • You can tell a lot about a person from their hands... 
    I deduce that you may have painted something that day.. 🤔😁
    catNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • ...my copy arrived today, and since I'm finishing a Chizmar anthology-I immediately handed it off to Tracy, who is now enjoying same....
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerKurbennot_nadinecatNeesy