Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Week 6

Author: Bev Vincent

There's little to report this week so far as I haven't done any work on the book for several days. I was at NECON in Rhode Island from Thursday through Sunday. A thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing weekend. I didn't see a newspaper or a second of TV news, no Internet or e-mail for those four days. Completely away from it all...and that was great. Though sleep wasn't a high priority of most people most days, I feel refreshed, reinvigorated and ready to tackle the final week of polishing before I deliver the manuscript.

I did get a couple of point blank questions about the Dark Tower series at NECON, much to my surprise. I usually fended them off by saying things like, “I can tell you how many pages are in the books, if you'd like to know that.”

I'll be doing a couple of more interviews in the very near future -- links will be posted when available.

Author: DTUK

Would like to know how many pages are in the last books :)

The longer the better :)

Wizard and Glass is the longest of the seven.

Next comes The Dark Tower, followed by Wolves of the Calla.

Wolves is 736 pages in print, a little under 1000 pages in manuscript. Wizard and Glass was 1400 pages in manuscript. Dark Tower is somewhat longer than Wolves, perhaps as big as 800 pages depending on the book design. Song of Susannah is about half the length of these two, probably coming in at around 400 pages.

Author: Darth Pookie

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

Wizard and Glass is the longest of the seven.

Next comes The Dark Tower, followed by Wolves of the Calla.

Wolves is 736 pages in print, a little under 1000 pages in manuscript. Wizard and Glass was 1400 pages in manuscript. Dark Tower is somewhat longer than Wolves, perhaps as big as 800 pages depending on the book design. Song of Susannah is about half the length of these two, probably coming in at around 400 pages.

I'm wondering how it's possible that DT4 was longer in manuscript form, yet shorter in book form than DT5 is. Is it perhaps because less was edited out of DT5 than was edited from DT4? And, do you think that when King said in a recent interview that eventually all the DT books will get rewritten he just meant books 2-4, so that they match up with the last three and the new Gunslinger, because -- honestly -- why would he need to rewrite the last three books?

DT5 is 736 pages long and DT4 was about 780 pages in the original Grant edition. I know it's shorter in the Viking hardcover, but that has a lot to do with page layout, font sizes, spacings, etc. You can make a book as big or small as you want. Some of Robert B. Parker's recent “novels”; could probably be printed in 100-150 pages if they used normal fonts, line spacings and margins.

I don't know what his intention is regarding the rewriting of the remaining Dark Tower books. He's only mentioned that once and only in passing. Only time will tell.

Author: Darth Pookie

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

DT5 is 736 pages long and DT4 was about 780 pages in the original Grant edition. I know it's shorter in the Viking hardcover, but that has a lot to do with page layout, font sizes, spacings, etc. You can make a book as big or small as you want. Some of Robert B. Parker's recent “novels” could probably be printed in 100-150 pages if they used normal fonts, line spacings and margins.

I don't know what his intention is regarding the rewriting of the remaining Dark Tower books. He's only mentioned that once and only in passing. Only time will tell.

Okay. I was not aware of DT4 being 780 pages in Grant's version.

Comments

• Author: Bev Vincent

It's hard for me to wrap my mind around the notion that this time next week, the manuscript will be on its way to New York, one copy to my editor and one to my agent. I'm still making marks all over the most recent revision of the manuscript and wonder when I'll ever be satisfied with particular pages, sections, sentences, turns of phrases, etc.

Probably never. At some point, I guess, you just have to stop and say: That's it. It's done.

For me, that time will probably be sometime near midnight on Sunday! Then it's off to the printer and the shipper.

AAAAAAAH! ~0

Wow - thanks for the book length info, Bev - is really looking forward to burying myself in these books :)

And yep, sometimes you can overkill on the corrections, just decide on a firm date for correction fixing then leave it at that :)

Monday is my firm day to send the sucker out. Contractually I have until August 1 to deliver. If I send it out on Monday, I can use 3-day delivery service rather than overnighting it on Thursday!

My real problem is that I keep finding interesting little details. Someone posted King's review of HP4 from 2000 to a mailing list a couple of days and in it King makes reference to Shardik and there's a line in there which is absolutely brilliant, the neatest little tidbit that ties in so well to Shardik/Mir in THE WASTE LANDS that I had to add it. Then there was another reference that ties into something from THE DARK TOWER. The more I look, the more of these little things I find. Where does it end? ~0

It ends on Monday...lol

Just get those new details in quickly :)

I'm not so sure it does end on Monday. Monday is when I send it off to my editor, but I expect there will be rewriting going on for the next half year. That gives me many more opportunities to stick in more little details -- up until my editor screams ENOUGH ALREADY and takes away my coloring book and makes me go play with something else. !@#$

Have you never fancied writing fan-fic in the DT universe, Bev?

Are there any particular avenues where you might have thought, wow would be nice to continue in this direction where King branches off and goes someplace else?

No, I've never really given fan fiction much consideration. I prefer to come up with my own ideas rather than build from someone else's. Also, if you do fan fiction, there's no chance to get it published as there's all those nasty rights issues to deal with.

That's true and one of the reasons that I write poetry which I copyright is that I never read other people's poetry - hence can't be accused of pinching ideas. Always use my own ideas.

When you next hear from me, the book will be done...for now...and I'll be fretting about getting it printed, copied and mailed. I think I have a loooooong weekend ahead of me! Fortunately, my daughter is working both days and my wife has exams coming up so I won't be ignoring anyone terribly much as I immerse myself in the final sessions.

I'm about halfway through it on what will probably be my last paper readthrough before I go back to the computer to implement changes and tweak things. I can almost recite parts of it by heart!

Author: CRinVA

Bev, Its great to know the kind of effort that goes into a product like this and to be able to read these posts along the way. It will make your book so much more meaninful when I finally get to pick it up and read it!

I'm glad y'all are enjoying this. I've always been fascinated by the process -- I often ask writers how they work. Not because I want to model myself on how they do it (I think we each have to find our own way) but just out of curiosity.

I'm trying to visualize the day when all those piles of 8-1/2 by 11 sheets turn into a bound book. Oh, what a day that is going to be when I get my first copies! :D

It will be a great day indeed :)