Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Kingcast -- Thursday, Feb 25, 2021

NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT

Comments

• You’ll post access to interview here too?
    NotaroNeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Looking forward to that one! The Kingcast is a really cool King-related podcast.
    Hedda GablerNotaroBevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I had a good time talking with them on Saturday a week ago, just before we all went into the deep freeze (both hosts live around Austin).
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerNeesyGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2021
    Okay, this is tomorrow right? It says it's an Apple podcast, is this wanting me to sign up to listen to it or will I be able to just click on it and listen? Or will I have to wait for the winter of my discontent for it to be archived on David Hasselhoff's twitch channel?

I have no idea what I'm talking about.  Having another one of those days.  
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNT
  • Okay, this is tomorrow right? It says it's an Apple podcast, is this wanting me to sign up to listen to it or will I be able to just click on it and listen? Or will I have to wait for the winter of my discontent for it to be archived on David Hasselhoff's twitch channel?

David Hasselhoff and twitch... you lost me right there. Two things that should never go together. 
    Hedda GablerNotaroKurbenGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Okay, this is tomorrow right? It says it's an Apple podcast, is this wanting me to sign up to listen to it or will I be able to just click on it and listen? Or will I have to wait for the winter of my discontent for it to be archived on David Hasselhoff's twitch channel?

David Hasselhoff and twitch... you lost me right there. Two things that should never go together. 
    I think TWitch is a gamer spot?  I don't know.  I'm trying to be a hep cat.  I'm showing my cranky age today.
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenspideymanGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:

I think TWitch is a gamer spot?  I don't know.  I'm trying to be a hep cat.  I'm showing my cranky age today.
    I was just playing... 😁 I would not want to see him twitch.
    Hedda GablerNotarospideymanGNTLGNT
  • "Frequent Stephen King collaborator and author of The Road to the Dark Tower, Bev Vincent, chats with the boys about his long history with King, what it was like to read the final three Dark Tower books a full two years before they were published, fields some truly nerdy Dark Tower questions and has to explain to the dumb-dumbs that host this podcast what "orthogonality" means."
    FlakeNoirspideymanNeesyGNTLGNT
  • I have a lot to say about this, but i’m not going to attempt it on my phone. When i get home, i’ll pull out my laptop with a proper keyboard.   I will say quickly, i highly recommend giving this a listen. It’s long, but worth your time.
    BevVincentFlakeNoirKurbenspideymanGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2021
    Okey doke, here I go.

First, I want to say, I don't listen to a lot of podcasts. Sometimes, they just aren't that good.  And no, I don't judge a podcast by one episode.  There are just so many factors in that day's interview that can make or break that one broadcast.  But there is a skill to longevity.   I've been aware that Kingcast existed, but I just never committed to them.  I think that just changed.

These two guys (I'm sorry, I didn't catch their names) did a really terrific job guiding this interview.  It was very organic -- cozy if you will.  They kept the conversation flowing and interesting.  I enjoyed their personalities that they brought to the topic and they meshed well with Bev.  They had good questions.  Loved the humor.  Smart, playful,  very focused but in a way that wasn't stiff.  There was a very definite professionalism about it, but they did it with such ease.  It was like sitting in my living room listening to friends chat.  And they were knowledgeable for sure.   I think Bev responded to them very well, a side of Bev that *cough*cough* I wish he showed here more.   I'll say more about the hosts and Bev later.

The first thing I took away from this Kingcast was, "f**k, I need to read The Dark Tower books again."  I personally came to the series very late.  Yep, I was a king fan, but I wasn't at all interested in The Dark Tower when I found out it was an ongoing series.  The Little Sisters of Eluria was my starting point and the one Bev mentions in the interview.   Such a brilliant little story, just practically perfect in every way.  Once the series was finished, I blew through the books as fast as I could, missing so many little flourishes and minute details that people like these two interviewers and Bev honed in on.  And why I need to take a second journey, not with speed in mind, gobbling it all up, but with a patience that will serve me and the journey better.

The fact Bev wrote the concordance about all these details still to this day blows me away.  I'm not going to diagnose Bev (bwhahaha!) but along with his naturally analytical mind, there's got to be some OCD in there.  Oh my God! How do you keep track of all of this, get it right? ha!  (That will be 25$ Bev, and you can reschedule with my secretary).  

As King fans, we all hear the same crap every damn interview ever given on all things King. I just groan when we start down that path.  There is nothing inherently wrong with  revisiting old information (because, we have to remember, there are NEW young and old fans coming to the Kingverse every single day who've never heard the stories) but this interview had more details and refreshing new things I personally had never heard.  And it was fantastic.  More personal.  More insightful.  

I liked hearing about Bev's path into King and into the writing world.  And I wish we could've heard more.  

I could keep babbling because that's what I do, but I'll let you listen and make your own discoveries.

And, I want to say, Bev, you have a great laugh.  We've all been in groups where someone laughs and their laugh makes everyone else laugh.  That's what your laugh did for me, Bev. Everytime you laughed, I laughed.  That's a great laugh!   Can I say laugh one more time please?   Laugh.

And, I'm not sure which guy it was, but I'm not joking -- I want to hear why that guy was in military school.  I'm sitting here really needing to know.   :D

Check out the podcast.  I need to go back in their catalogue and listen to all the good interviews and topics I missed. I can still do that, can't I?  Or did I just miss out?  I hope I didn't.  Shame on me if I did.  

NotaroFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNT
  • Okey doke, here I go.

First, I want to say, I don't listen to a lot of podcasts. Sometimes, they just aren't that good.  And no, I don't judge a podcast by one episode.  There are just so many factors in that day's interview that can make or break that one broadcast.  But there is a skill to longevity.   I've been aware that Kingcast existed, but I just never committed to them.  I think that just changed.

These two guys (I'm sorry, I didn't catch their names) did a really terrific job guiding this interview.  It was very organic -- cozy if you will.  They kept the conversation flowing and interesting.  I enjoyed their personalities that they brought to the topic and they meshed well with Bev.  They had good questions.  Loved the humor.  Smart, playful,  very focused but in a way that wasn't stiff.  There was a very definite professionalism about it, but they did it with such ease.  It was like sitting in my living room listening to friends chat.  And they were knowledgeable for sure.   I think Bev responded to them very well, a side of Bev that *cough*cough* I wish he showed here more.   I'll say more about the hosts and Bev later.

The first thing I took away from this Kingcast was, "f**k, I need to read The Dark Tower books again."  I personally came to the series very late.  Yep, I was a king fan, but I wasn't at all interested in The Dark Tower when I found out it was an ongoing series.  The Little Sisters of Eluria was my starting point and the one Bev mentions in the interview.   Such a brilliant little story, just practically perfect in every way.  I blew through the books as fast as I could, missing so many little flourishes and minute details that people like these two interviewers and Bev honed in on.  And why I need to take a second journey, not with speed in mind, gobbling it all up, but with a patience that will serve me and the journey better.

The fact Bev wrote the concordance about all these details still to this day blows me away.  I'm not going to diagnose Bev (bwhahaha!) but along with his naturally analytical mind, there's got to be some OCD in there.  Oh my God! How do you keep track of all of this, get it right? ha!  (That will be 25$ Bev, and you can reschedule with my secretary).  

As King fans, we all hear the same crap every damn interview ever given on all things King. I just groan when we start down that path.  There is nothing inherently wrong with  revisiting old information (because, we have to remember, there are NEW young and old fans coming to the Kingverse every single day who've never heard the stories) but this interview had more details and refreshing new things I personally had never heard.  And it was fantastic.  More personal.  More insightful.  

I liked hearing about Bev's path into King and into the writing world.  And I wish we could've heard more.  

I could keep babbling because that's what I do, but I'll let you listen and make your own discoveries.

And, I want to say, Bev, you have a great laugh.  We've all been in groups where someone laughs and their laugh makes everyone else laugh.  That's what your laugh did for me, Bev. Everytime you laughed, I laughed.  That's a great laugh!   Can I say laugh one more time please?   Laugh.

And, I'm not sure which guy it was, but I'm not joking -- I want to hear why that guy was in military school.  I'm sitting here really needing to know.   :D

Check out the podcast.  I need to go back in their catalogue and listen to all the good interviews and topics I missed. I can still do that, can't I?  Or didn't I just miss out?  I hope I didn't.  Shame on me if I did.  

Thanks for the info Hedda, I'll definitely be listening to it at some stage, maybe tonight when everyone has gone asleep. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirBevVincentspideymanGNTLGNT
  • Listening to it now. 
    Hedda GablerBevVincentNotarospideymanGNTLGNT
  • Got goosebumps when the interviewer just described his experience of finding Wizard and Glass at Waldens(?) in the mall. I've had those same kinds of moments finding his books. 
    BevVincentNotaroHedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNT
  • OMGod Bev! I had no idea how you came to be able to do The Road to the Dark Tower, you must have nearly sh*t when you got that letter back from their office! :D 
    KurbenBevVincentNotaroHedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNT
  • This is incredibly entertaining, I'm having so many laugh out loud moments. :D 
    NotaroHedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2021
     Yes!!!! (Wizard and Glass spoiler)

I always (on a re-read) think that Susan will be okay, how does he do this?! 

NotaroHedda GablerspideymanGNTLGNT
  • Scott Wampler (he was the one who was in military school) and Eric Vespe. I had a blast talking to them. We went on far longer than we were supposed to, but once we got on a roll, we just kept going. This was recorded the weekend before the deep freeze hit us -- they're both in Austin.

The thing that pleased me most was that I didn't have any brain freezes. I was able to come up with names like Patrick Magrath and John Slattery without groping around too much!

As for working on Road -- I had different colored highlighters that I used to mark sections that had to do with plot or characters or timeline as I was reading. Aha, we go ahead two days here, or here's some cool stuff about Eddie I need to use. I must have read the series five times while I was working on the book, looking for different things each time.

Glad you enjoyed it -- I just listened to it myself. It turned out really well.

And, yes, you can go back and listen to all their previous podcasts. They did one recently where they brought on a lawyer who defended Andy Dufresne. They also did one with Damien Echols, who read the Dark Tower dozens of times on death row.

FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotarospideymanGNTLGNT
  • I've just finished, this was brilliant.  Thank you so much for sharing it with us, you are very entertaining Bev and yes, I love your laugh too. 😁
    BevVincentHedda GablerKurbenNotarospideyman
  • Scott Wampler (he was the one who was in military school) and Eric Vespe. I had a blast talking to them. We went on far longer than we were supposed to, but once we got on a roll, we just kept going. This was recorded the weekend before the deep freeze hit us -- they're both in Austin.

The thing that pleased me most was that I didn't have any brain freezes. I was able to come up with names like Patrick Magrath and John Slattery without groping around too much!

As for working on Road -- I had different colored highlighters that I used to mark sections that had to do with plot or characters or timeline as I was reading. Aha, we go ahead two days here, or here's some cool stuff about Eddie I need to use. I must have read the series five times while I was working on the book, looking for different things each time.

Glad you enjoyed it -- I just listened to it myself. It turned out really well.

And, yes, you can go back and listen to all their previous podcasts. They did one recently where they brought on a lawyer who defended Andy Dufresne. They also did one with Damien Echols, who read the Dark Tower dozens of times on death row.

ooo ooo oooo -- I bet that Damien Echols one is interesting.  I am definitely spending time with Kingcast.
    NotaroFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNT
  • Hey @BevVincent - great idea to have a stand-up desk!
    I like being able to listen to the podcast while I am still posting and searching etc.

FlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Neesy said:
    Hey @BevVincent - great idea to have a stand-up desk!
    I like being able to listen to the podcast while I am still posting and searching etc.

I've been using one for years and years. I have lower back ache from sitting at a desk all the time, and this helps greatly. 

FlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • "Frequent Stephen King collaborator and author of The Road to the Dark Tower, Bev Vincent, chats with the boys about his long history with King, what it was like to read the final three Dark Tower books a full two years before they were published, fields some truly nerdy Dark Tower questions and has to explain to the dumb-dumbs that host this podcast what "orthogonality" means."
    ....dumb dumbs that did the "genius" genuflect...... :D
    Hedda Gabler
  • .....if it sounds like a "fireside chat", then everyone did good.....as one who has done a ton of interviews, you just "know" when it's a good flow and to hell with time limits....worry about any edits later.....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler