Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Stephen King Italia

Part I of an interview I did with SK Italia

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler

Comments

• Do you ever sleep?  I swear to god, i wish i had half your ambition. 

Informative and personable two parter.   I just keep realizing more and more with each interview—i need to read The Dark Tower series again. 

I really liked the style of their logo —  a very iconic image for sk fans. 

Keep ‘em coming.
    BevVincentKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited March 2021
    In this interview, you say no one asks  you about your Chemistry day job. I have wanted to ask questions, but felt uncomfortable that i would cross  a line between professional Bev and private Bev.

i would like to know exactly what you do in chemistry.  Pharmaceuticals?  Weapons?  Cures for diseases?  Teach? What does a chemistry professor do? 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • In this interview, you say no one asks  you about your Chemistry day job. I have wanted to ask questions, but felt uncomfortable that i would cross  a line between professional Bev and private Bev.

i would like to know exactly what you do in chemistry.  Pharmaceuticals?  Weapons?  Cures for diseases?  Teach? What does a chemistry professor do? 
    ....I have often wondered about the "Clark Kent" version of Bev myself.....didn't even know he was into beakers & potions.....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • I'm not a chemistry professor. I do have a PhD in chemistry, specializing in a field called X-ray crystallography. The company I work for sells analytical X-ray instrumentation. I have done many things for the company -- I started by doing service crystallography. People would send us samples and we'd do the analysis for them. Then I migrated into software development, writing a couple of programs that were used by crystallographers around the world. Now I mostly do web design work.
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • ....thanks for the shar Bev....
    Hedda GablerKurben
  • edited March 2021
    I'm not a chemistry professor. I do have a PhD in chemistry, specializing in a field called X-ray crystallography. The company I work for sells analytical X-ray instrumentation. I have done many things for the company -- I started by doing service crystallography. People would send us samples and we'd do the analysis for them. Then I migrated into software development, writing a couple of programs that were used by crystallographers around the world. Now I mostly do web design work.
    I actually misspoke.  I meant to say “doctor”.

You are a PhD doctor,  yes?  If i was to invite you to an event honoring Topo Gigio, i could address the envelope:

Dr. and Mrs. Bev Vincent?

In college, what was your most favorite class NOT related to your field of study?
    GNTLGNTKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....thanks for the shar Bev....
    ...."share"......damn fat fingers.....
    Hedda GablerKurben
  • I'm not a chemistry professor. I do have a PhD in chemistry, specializing in a field called X-ray crystallography. The company I work for sells analytical X-ray instrumentation. I have done many things for the company -- I started by doing service crystallography. People would send us samples and we'd do the analysis for them. Then I migrated into software development, writing a couple of programs that were used by crystallographers around the world. Now I mostly do web design work.

You are a PhD doctor,  yes?  If i was to invite you to an event honoring Topo Gigio, i could address the envelope:

In college, what was your most favorite class NOT related to your field of study?
    ....underwater basket weaving....
    Hedda GablerKurben

Crap that short edit. 

You said you had a PhD in your response. My eyeballs misfired or something. It’s early. I blame early. 
    GNTLGNTKurben
  • I rarely use the Dr. thing, although it would probably be proper. My wife is also a PhD.

My favorite subject was always math, and I have a minor in that subject. I just couldn't see how it would lead to a career. Crystallography is very mathematical, so that was a great discovery when I stumbled upon it in my third year undergrad classes.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited March 2021
    Okay okay ohoh oh... 

That is too flippin’ cool, can i send you a xmas card addressed Dr. And Dr.?

I love that. I might fool my post person i have a better class of friends. 
    GNTLGNTKurben
  • ....my parents gave me the hairy eyebrow when I minored in Religion & Philosophy, but it has become an integral part of my life...though it may not show I understand....
    Hedda Gabler

• I rarely use the Dr. thing, although it would probably be proper. My wife is also a PhD.

My favorite subject was always math, and I have a minor in that subject. I just couldn't see how it would lead to a career. Crystallography is very mathematical, so that was a great discovery when I stumbled upon it in my third year undergrad classes.
    See, that’s very interesting — you have a very active right brain and left — while lefters are readers, its more analytical reading i would think, not creative fictional reading like the arts — which tends to be righters.  No wonder The Dark Tower spoke to you.  Roland’s world really is all math.  Moving through time and space. 

Did that sound like i knew what I was talking about? Yeah. I didn’t think so but i tried, dammit. 

My math brain did not develop so i’m always so full of shock and awe when someone speaks that language.  In the old days, i probably would have burned you for being a witch. 
    GNTLGNTKurben
  • edited March 2021

GNTLGNT said:
    ....my parents gave me the hairy eyebrow when I minored in Religion & Philosophy, but it has become an integral part of my life...though it may not show I understand....
    I loved loved loved Philosophy. And My professor loved me as a student. She wrote the nicest message to me on my final paper. 
    GNTLGNTKurben

• GNTLGNT said:
    ....my parents gave me the hairy eyebrow when I minored in Religion & Philosophy, but it has become an integral part of my life...though it may not show I understand....
    I loved loved loved Philosophy. And My professor loved me as a student. She wrote the nicest message to me on my final paper. 
    ...we would have group discussions at the Prof's house.....lots of pizza and wine with a dash of existential angst.....
    Hedda Gabler