Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Abstract Transmissions interview with Robin Furth and me

NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT

Comments

• Bev, your backgrounds! 😄
    BevVincentGNTLGNTNotaro
  • I had a lot of fun with those!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited April 2021
    Got this listened to and here are my thoughts that no one cares to hear. 

First, who was this guy? I never caught a name.  

Second, did you guy’s do a previous interview with him? He would make references to “as we talked earlier” and it was stuff you didn’t talk about here. Or, was he talking to his audience— that they’ve  “talked” earlier about some of the material?

third, what happened to his wife? He’s so young to be losing a wife.  Is it my business? No. Not until he talks about it and then i’m connecting to HIM as a person— not as an interviewer. Now he’s made me worry about him.  It comes off nosy but it’s a quirk i have. People can’t just drop bits of info around me and not expect me to connect to them. To want to know the “rest of the story.”

fourth, this poor guy was so nervous. I think  he was just totally star struck to be talking to you guys —. Bev, you were like the calm, patient dad— let’s keep this moving, son. And robin was that sweet mother encouraging and propping up her baby bird.  Helping him along.  He seems like a very nice guy excited about life and creativity and wanting to keep growing.  Not like most of these stagnant humans walking around today. 

Once again— glaringly obvious i need to re read dark tower.

i love how generous we all are when we talk about steve pulling in references from other’s work.  If any of us  did that, we would be accused of stealing! Plagiarism!  Interesting.

Really enjoyed the conversation. 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Oh also, can you share the Brazil video you talked about?
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • According to his email signature, he's Mark ‘Cuffy Proctor’ Smith

I've never spoken with him before, but Robin has done a solo session with him, as has Glenn Chadbourne and Rich Chizmar -- you can find the whole list here: 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/abstract-transmissions/id1463001290

I don't know what happened to his wife, and I felt really bad that I momentarily seemed to overwhelm him emotionally with my little anecdote.

Remind me -- Brazil video? I'm drawing a blank!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNTNotaro
  • It was some dark tower concept artist you and robin shared link to. 
    BevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Ah, yes -- this one

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Very nice.

i loved how right out of the gate you guys showed artist love.  So important . 
  • edited April 2021
    According to his email signature, he's Mark ‘Cuffy Proctor’ Smith

I've never spoken with him before, but Robin has done a solo session with him, as has Glenn Chadbourne and Rich Chizmar -- you can find the whole list here: 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/abstract-transmissions/id1463001290

I don't know what happened to his wife, and I felt really bad that I momentarily seemed to overwhelm him emotionally with my little anecdote.

Remind me -- Brazil video? I'm drawing a blank!
    Yes, he was on the verge of a meltdown but you and robin refocused him — he got it on track.

it’s also interesting how movies, music, books, artwork that we just connect to so strongly can quickly drag some emotion out of us. Surprising us sometimes with the intensity.  
  • edited April 2021
    Also, you kind of sparked me — you talked about being a completist and used Agatha Christie books as an example.  How you’ve read them all — what did you say? 80 something books?  I’m thinking maybe i need to challenge myself like i did with my year of cemetery dance reads.  Not here on the site, just privately — but who to read? Which authors have a large body of work i’d be interested in? Maybe agatha. Or maybe i should widen out my circle with a genre.  Sci fi. Detective. Suspense.  Then i could read lots of authors and not limit myself. Or, maybe i should continue on with the classics. I had a year of classics once, but man! They were all so stiff and depressing! 

I also did Oprah’s book club. Holy cow. You looking to open a vein? Read oprah’s picks. 

I’ll think on this. 
    FlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited April 2021
    I still have around 45 minutes left of the video as it got too late last night to watch. I really felt for him  too when he was talking about his wife, but don't feel bad Bev, he was making such a connection with you and Robin and sometimes you just need those feelings to come to the surface to get closer to healing. 

In the beginning I found it very difficult while he was trying to settle himself in and find a cohesive rhythm, but the moment he mentioned his ADHD it all fell into place and I was joining him on his journey. 

I'll try to get back to it later today to finish it and I'm glad DJ asked about that video, I was keen to see it too. Will watch later. 
    NeesyGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I still have around 45 minutes left of the video as it got too late last night to watch. I really felt for him  too when he was talking about his wife, but don't feel bad Bev, he was making such a connection with you and Robin and sometimes you just need those feelings to come to the surface to get closer to healing. 

In the beginning I found it very difficult while he was trying to settle himself in and find a cohesive rhythm, but the moment he mentioned his ADHD it all fell into place and I was joining him on his journey. 

I'll try to get back to it later today to finish it and I'm glad DJ asked about that video, I was keen to see it too. Will watch later. 
    I missed the ADHD part.  He wasn't as smooth as many podcast hosts I've listened to, but he'll get it.  
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:

I missed the ADHD part.  He wasn't as smooth as many podcast hosts I've listened to, but he'll get it.  
    He mentioned it very briefly, I think nerves were playing their part initially too. He'll be fine, he's very passionate. 
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNT
  • He was also a little off-balance because he discovered he had to renew his Zoom license when he was about to start the session.
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • He was also a little off-balance because he discovered he had to renew his Zoom license when he was about to start the session.
    Oh poor guy! He did well to bring it back.
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited April 2021
    Zoom has a license???  People can’t just zoom as they want to?
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurben
  • Zoom has a license???  People can’t just zoom as they want to?
    There's a limit to how long you have for a single meeting with the free license. If you want to stay connected for as long as we did, you need a professional license.
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenHedda Gabler
  • ....that's the thing about podcasts.....anyone can do one, and some really shouldn't....this young fella is an exception....no, he isn't polished-but that only goes to highlight how deeply he feels about his subject matter.....given the multiple things swirling through his brain, he held it together and got the goods!.....in my way, I know how here feels....prior to meeting Bev and Robin in Maine, I was a bit apprehensive....and I have done this kind of thing for over forty years....Robin is like a big sis and Bev was quite kind-given that I'm a complete doof......
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenHedda Gabler