Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Two Old Farts Talk Sci-Fi

We recorded this a couple of weeks ago, but it just went live on Saturday.

Season 1 Episode 7

The Dead Zone was a 1979 book by Stephen King. It was his first book to rank among the top ten best-selling novels in the United States, and the first story that he set in the fictional town of Castle Rock. The Dead Zone then became a 1983 movie with a deep Canadian connection, directed by David Cronenberg and starring, in order of billing, Christopher Walken; Brooke Adams; Tom Skerritt; Herbert Lom; Anthony Zerbe; Colleen Dewhurst; Martin Sheen; Nicholas Campbell; Sean Sullivan; and, Jackie Burroughs.

Johnny Smith is a psychic, the character based loosely on Peter Hurkos and Edgar Cayce, a man who can glimpse the future by touch. But what if the future is too terrible to contemplate? What is he willing to risk to change it?

Troy Harkin and David Clink will do a deep dive on The Dead Zone, with special guest Bev Vincent.
FlakeNoirGNTLGNT

Comments

• edited June 2021
    This was interesting but they need to retitle their podcast — One Oldish Fart and One Vintage Fart. All the one guy’s choices were from the wayback machine but i loved them. And when he threw in Hi and Lois, I about choked!

good fun. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTBevVincent
  • It was quite an experience!
    GNTLGNTNotaro
  • Didn’t he have floyd the barber and cary grant as stilson? 😂
    BevVincentGNTLGNT
  • And just for fun...

NotaroGNTLGNT
  • I was glad they gave me a heads-up about the questions they were going to ask, otherwise I would have been stumped on many of the "favorites" questions and most especially on the casting bit.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Those types of questions are hard.  My choices can change often and quickly because of living life. A story that was good but didn’t connect with me when i first read it can become a favorite because of learning, growing and experiences.  I can only answer those types of things on a daily basis because i reserve the right to change my mind. 🙂
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • I can't even do them on a daily basis -- my mind simply doesn't work that way.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaroHedda Gabler
  • ...at first, I used to prepare with questions and such, but as I gained experience-I started just "off the cuff" asking....I found that this would lead the guest and myself into other streets besides cliché alley, and made for a better interview....
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda Gabler
  • I was the first repeat guest on 2OF -- we talked about On Writing for an episode that will air on Nov. 27.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ....then that must make you an Honorary Old Fart......
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • SEASON 2, EPISODE 4—”ON WRITING

On Writing is a classic book (published just 20+ years ago, in 2000) by Stephen King. It is part memoir, part writing instruction, part how King did what he did, and does what he does.

What does Stephen King say

about writing?
    about what it takes to be a writer?
    about what you need to do to be a writer?

Listen, and find out!

Here are four quotes from the book:

= = =

If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There’s no way around these two things that I’m aware of, no shortcut.

Stories are relics, part of an undiscovered pre-existing world.

The job boils down to two things: paying attention to how the real people around you behave and then telling the truth about what you see.

In the spring of my senior year at Lisbon High—1966, this would’ve been—I got a scribbled comment that changed the way I rewrote my fiction once and forever. Jotted below the machine-generated signature of the editor was this mot: “Not bad, but puffy. You need to revise for length. Formula: 2nd Draft = 1st Draft – 10%. Good luck.”

= = =

Troy Harkin and David Clink will talk about the book: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

Our special guest is our first return guest, Bev Vincent. Bev was our guest for Season 1 Episode 7, where we talked about The Dead Zone. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • I enjoyed this. I’ve read Elements of Style many times— and then forget everything. On Writing is my most read SK book. At least 4 or 5 times AND I own the audio which I’ve listened to at least 4 times.  My pages are also marked up and i have colored notebook tabs on sections. 

You sounded like you had a cold Bev, or that could’ve just been the audio and my hearing. If a cold, hope you are better now. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Thanks -- no cold. Wonky audio, most likely. I haven't had a cold in two years!
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirNotaro
  • ...no virus in two years??.....ladies & gentlegerms, I introduce you to the newest member of the MCU!!!.....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirLou_SytsmaNotaro
  • Small world. I've met David Clink when I lived in Ontario. His sister is Carolyn Clink, wife of SF Writer - Robert J. Sawyer - who I've met many times at SF and writer cons.  Look forward to listening to the podcast.
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNTKurben
  • ...I watched Col. Klink on Hogan's Heroes...does that count??............nevermind..........
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Bev, you guys mentioned some other books— i think Fear Itself???? Was one? Maybe Secret Windows? And  Another one — they were all writing books. 

Can you list those? I think i have them and would like to pull them out. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Ahh, bare bones and art of darkness. 
    FlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNT
  • Secret Windows (Book of the Month Club)
    Bare Bones & Feast of Fear (Underwood & Miller, eds)
    Art of Darkness (Douglas Winter)
    We might have mentioned Fear Itself.

FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNT
  • ...I read all of those back when I was but a young village idiot....they were an interesting porthole into the cabin of creativity.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir