Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Mr. Harrigan's Phone (Netflix)

edited October 2021 in Adaptations

Prolific producers Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum are teaming with Netflix for a feature adaptation of the Stephen King short story Mr. Harrigan’s Phone for the streamer. It will mark the Netflix’s fourth King project, following Gerald’s Game, 1922 and In the Tall Grass. 

John Lee Hancock, the filmmaker behind The Blind Side and Saving Mr. Banks, has been tapped to write and direct Mr. Harrigan’s Phone. For Netflix, John Lee Hancock worked on The Highwaymen which remains one of Netflix’s most underappreciated gems.

The film is also one of many projects in the pipeline from Ryan Murphy at Netflix as part of his overall deal with the streamer. Murphy will serve as a producer on the movie. Blumhouse Productions, Ryan Murphy Productions and Paper Pictures are all involved.

What’s the production status of Mr. Harrigan’s Phone?

Netflix’s Mr. Harrigan’s Phone is currently set to enter production in October 2021 in Connecticut, US according to issue 1261 of Production Weekly. There is no word yet on how long filming will take.

GNTLGNT

Comments

• Donald Sutherland and Jaeden Martell (IT) will star. Sutherland will star in the title role of “Mr. Harrigan,” with Martell in the role of “Craig.”
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbencat
  • Joe Tippett (Mare of EasttownThe Morning Show) has boarded Mr. Harrigan’s Phone. He will play the father of Martell’s Craig, who is left to raise his only son alone, after the death of his wife.

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  •  Kirby Howell-Baptiste (BarryKilling Eve) is the latest addition to the cast of Mr. Harrigan’s Phone. She will play Craig’s caring and concerned teacher, Ms. Hart.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Colin O’Brien & Cyrus Arnold Join the cast. O’Brien will play the role of Young Craig, with Arnold as Craig’s antagonist, Kenny Yankovich.
    FlakeNoirKurbenNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Mr. Harrigan’s Phone will be ringing its way onto Netflix on Wednesday, October 5, 2022.

In Mr. Harrigan’s Phone, “When Craig, a young boy living in a small town (Jaeden Martell) befriends Mr. Harrigan, an older, reclusive billionaire (Donald Sutherland), the two begin to form an unlikely bond over their love of books and reading. But when Mr. Harrigan sadly passes away, Craig discovers that not everything is dead and gone and strangely finds himself able to communicate with his friend from the grave through the iPhone in this supernatural coming-of-age story that shows that certain connections are never lost.”

And as we learned more recently, Kirby Howell-Baptiste (“Barry,” “Killing Eve”) has joined the cast. “Howell-Baptiste will play Craig’s caring and concerned teacher, Ms. Hart.”

Joe Tippett, Cyrus Arnold, Colin O’Brien, Thomas Francis Murphy, and Peggy J. Scott also star.

Mr. Harrigan’s Phone is rated “PG-13” for “thematical material, some strong language, violent content, and brief drug material.”

>> Source

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Hold On, We’re Getting a Call... from ‘Mr. Harrigan’s Phone’

Presenting a first look at the new Stephen King adaptation, directed and written by John Lee Hancock.

Hedda GablerLou_SytsmaFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Looking forward to this. October is the perfect release month. Wish the latest Salem's Lot adaptation was coming out this October too.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Mr. Harrigan’s Phone images give an early look at Netflix Stephen King adaptation https://www.joblo.com/mr-harrigans-phone-images/
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • That looks goooood. The music is Jack White and is Conan O’Brien’s podcast theme music. I love it.
    BevVincentGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • And yes, the music has been used other places, i just currently know it from Conan. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited September 2022
    Have to wonder how actors up in years like Donald Sutherland feel, laying in a coffin. 

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurben
  • ...damn fine trailer....that'll be a fer sure, fer sure watch.....love me some Sutherland...dead or alive....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben
  • Looks fantastic! Will want to see this, absolutely. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • edited September 2022
    I watched this trailer again — this just looks so good. @BevVincent -  have you gotten to early screen this? Or anyone you know? I would love to hear their thoughts. I want this to be good. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I asked but Netflix is sort of a black hole for random media requests. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • I am just pouncing on this when I can. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I've only seen the review headlines, but they aren't terribly positive so far.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • I've only seen the review headlines, but they aren't terribly positive so far.
    Aw hell to the no.  I hope they are wrong. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I have immediately paused to look up the joke about screenwriters and starlets. 
    I just finished this. I actually liked it. What are the criticisms? 
    GNTLGNT
  • edited October 2022
    Some review titles:
    • Mr Harrigan's Phone review: A so-so Stephen King adaptation
    • Mr. Harrigan's Phone Review: the Netflix Adaptation Drops the Call
    • Mr. Harrigans Phone is sloth-paced, uneventful, and forgettable
    • Hang up on Netflix's new horror film, the hollowest of Stephen King adaptations
    • Mr. Harrigan's Telephone review: another failed Stephen King adaptation
    • Mr Harrigan’s Phone review – minor Stephen King gets minor Netflix treatment
    • Dead Billionaire Texts Dull Teen in Dreadful Stephen King Adaptation
    • Don't Pick up When Mr. Harrigan's Phone Calls
    • Even Stephen King fans may feel Mr. Harrigan’s Phone isn't worth picking up
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited October 2022
    Ouch. 

Well, I am going to re-read the story because I can’t begin to compare to source material because I read this so long ago. I can only go by what I saw. 

I wish the Mr. Harrigan interactions could have been more meaty.  You had Sutherland for crying out loud , mine that talent. Even from a chair. 
    I get anxious very easily. The more anxious i get, the more I know the creatives did their job.  I was not anxious during this at all. The bullying didn’t have me pausing to calm my heart.  
    The death of the teacher wasn’t particularly gutting. Or even Harrigan. I got a twinge, but it might have been a hangnail. 
    Too much telling and not developing the show part. 

But, i loved the settings. I loved what we got of Sutherland.  I loved when he read to him and we were told the books. How they had their own title cards. When he read A Tale of Two Cities, that was a personal thing for me. 

I did feel that desire and desperation with the phone calls. Someone is there and then they aren’t.  What you would give or do to talk to them again . Been there. Done that. 

And tapping into the dark part  — would you, if you could, “dispatch” people with the help of your own pirateking?  

Yep. 

GNTLGNT