Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

PODCASTS

edited February 2022 in Free for all
I have some podcasts and radio dramas I listen to from time to time. Some with more regularity. But I am always game to hear about new ones even if it’s a one and done listen. A good episode can hook me.

Do any of you have a good podcast or a radio drama or two you listen to that you would recommend? Nothing heavy — this is escapism I’m looking for.  

All mine are free. Most are related to authors, movies, writing, reading and things that rattle chains and brains. 

I just listened to old Patton Oswalt and Neil Gaiman episodes on Postmortem with Mick Garris. Both guys very interesting. 

Of course Stephen has an episode with Mick and so does Joe Hill.  Both fun enough. 

We have a bunch of candidates but they are so scattered and buried in other threads, it’s hard to remember where to find them sometimes. 

GNTLGNTNeesyFlakeNoir

Comments

• @BevVincent

is Storytellers unplugged still active?
    GNTLGNTNeesy
  • Not for many years.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  •  Spent more time with Mick Garris. He has segments called “Ask Me Anything” and those are really full of interesting topics. 
    GNTLGNTNeesy
  • Waiting for Bev and Brian Keene’s segment to post on Writers On Wax. 
    GNTLGNTNeesy
  • Last night I listened to The New Yorker — The Writer’s Voice.  Authors read their own short stories, or have a guest reader for someone dead. 

I listened to Margaret Atwood read Old Babes in the Woods and A.M. Homes read Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery. 

I always loved Shirley’s writing, but it took me a while to realize her simplistic style was pure genius. The Lottery is just pure genius with the simplest words. That’s all she needed. That’s the lesson. 
    GNTLGNTNeesyKurbenFlakeNoirSusanNorton
  • Most of my podcasts are sports or King related, but one of my other favorites is Conan O'Brien's podcast, Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend. I've been a big fan of his for a long time. Really love his brand of humor. He alternates doing longer episodes where he has a celebrity guest and shorter episodes where they have regular people on the show. Usually the person has some kind of off-the-wall job that makes for an interesting interview. If you liked his Late Night show, definitely check out his podcast.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesyFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    Most of my podcasts are sports or King related, but one of my other favorites is Conan O'Brien's podcast, Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend. I've been a big fan of his for a long time. Really love his brand of humor. He alternates doing longer episodes where he has a celebrity guest and shorter episodes where they have regular people on the show. Usually the person has some kind of off-the-wall job that makes for an interesting interview. If you liked his Late Night show, definitely check out his podcast.
    Thank you! I’m pretty new to podcast commitments and I added Conan and my first that I just randomly chose — Neil Young.

I saw many many many interesting people, but Neil  is one of those mysterious people. 

GNTLGNTNeesyFlakeNoir
  • Listened to David Sedaris and Conan, that was a good one. 

Now listening  to Amy Sedaris — if you guys haven’t seen Strangers With Candy, it’s hilarious. 
    GNTLGNTNeesySusanNorton
  • Today’s featured author on Levar Burton Reads is Stephen King.

Afterlife from Bizarre of Bad Dreams. 

Grant87GNTLGNTNeesy
  • ...I have been the producer of a podcast.....Dirt Racing Wrap-up on the Book of Face....not sure what the season will bring this year, my host has been having a series of personal and family health struggles.....
    Hedda GablerNeesyFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...I have been the producer of a podcast.....Dirt Racing Wrap-up on the Book of Face....not sure what the season will bring this year, my host has been having a series of personal and family health struggles.....
    Okay, another little hidden gem about you. Very cool. 
    NeesyGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    Most of my podcasts are sports or King related, but one of my other favorites is Conan O'Brien's podcast, Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend. I've been a big fan of his for a long time. Really love his brand of humor. He alternates doing longer episodes where he has a celebrity guest and shorter episodes where they have regular people on the show. Usually the person has some kind of off-the-wall job that makes for an interesting interview. If you liked his Late Night show, definitely check out his podcast.
    Thank you! I’m pretty new to podcast commitments and I added Conan and my first that I just randomly chose — Neil Young.

I saw many many many interesting people, but Neil  is one of those mysterious people. 

I find it interesting that he is with Darryl Hannah - how did you enjoy the podcast?

GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Neesy said:
    Grant87 said:

I find it interesting that he is with Darryl Hannah - how did you enjoy the podcast?

It’s really good. Great recommendation from grant. I’ve listened to about 5 more and all of them so interesting.  The humor is there, but serious discussions. 

NeesyGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Neesy said:
    Grant87 said:

It’s really good. Great recommendation from grant. I’ve listened to about 5 more and all of them so interesting.  The humor is there, but serious discussions. 

The discussions can get more serious than you'd expect. Conan is definitely a smart, insightful guy, in addition to being really funny. I'm glad you like it!

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • It was informative. Nice give and take. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I’ve been listening to EG Marshall and his squeaky door with CBS Mystery Theater podcast.  

Those are always fun. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited March 2022
    I laughed out loud when he said "C'mon get a life!" then "You walked right into that one"
    :D :D

(I am talking about the conversation with Stephen King of course)

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Lux Radio Theatre  - A Matter Of Life And Death

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited March 2022
    BBC Radio - Nightworkers

• Good Kingcast episode today. They had Patton Oswalt on the show to talk about "The Jaunt." Patton is a perfect guest for The Kingcast: smart, funny, and a huge King nerd. 
  • The Price Of Fear - The Man Who Hated Scenes

• Thank you NB. I’ll be able to find them quickly now!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • BBC Radio; Fear On Four -  Music Lovers

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Notaro said:
    BBC Radio - Nightworkers

This one was really atmospheric. In radio , they are careful of dead air — but they used that very effectively here — not completely dead air, but almost. It was a sad, scary story. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTNeesy