Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

King on Screen (documentary)

edited September 2022 in General news

A feature length documentary about Stephen King, featuring the directors who adapted his stories and made cult movies from them !

>>> Kickstarter

Over the years, more than 80 cinematographic adaptations have been released by more than 50 directors who made us vibrate, tremble, and even cry.

In this 90 minutes doc, directors who adapted Stephen King stories will discuss why Stephen King is not only the King of Horror, but the Master of Characters psychology, and way more than that. 

The purpose of the film ? Seeking out stories and unique points of view to make an exciting tribute to Stephen King, to his deep knowledge of the human psychology through the characters he created, and to his mastery of narrative and suspense, which has kept us on tenterhooks for more than 45 years.

GNTLGNTNeesyfushingfeef

Comments

• There will be a parking ban in a portion of downtown Orono next week to accommodate filming for a new Stephen King documentary.

The ban will last throughout the day Monday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., according to the town. No parking will be allowed on Mill Street — Orono’s primary downtown drag — between Main and Pleasant streets. The alley that connects Mill Street to the town’s municipal parking lot off Pine Street will also be closed to parking.

The town issued warnings about the impending parking ban due to filming earlier this week on social media and its website. The warning has left many wondering what exactly was being filmed in town.

Crews working on the documentary “King on Screen” will film in town on Monday, according to Rob St. Louis of the Orono Fire Department.

The documentary is a 90-minute production that will feature directors who adapted King’s books into movies, according to the film’s crowdfunding campaign.

So far, the cast list includes Frank Darabont, who directed “The Shawshank Redemption,” “The Green Mile” and “The Mist.”

Other featured directors include Zak Hilditch, the director of Netflix’s film adaption of King’s novella “1922”; Taylor Hackford, director of “Dolores Claiborne”; and Mick Garris, who has written, directed and produced a number of King adaptations. Garris was also the co-executive producer of the 1993 comedy-horror film “Hocus Pocus.”

The point of the documentary is to seek out stories and other points of view as an “exciting tribute” to King and his deep knowledge of the human psyche, according to the film’s crowdfunding campaign.

The portions of the film being shot in Maine will be part of the film’s introduction, according to the campaign.

While Mill Street parking will be a no-go, through traffic can still travel on the street and parking will still be available in the town’s municipal lot off Pine Street.

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesyfushingfeef
  • edited March 2022

ORONO, Maine (WABI) - Orono played the role of film set on Monday.

“King on Screen,” a documentary on the film adaptations of Stephen King’s work, is shooting in town.

Some creepy clientele were at Leadbetters Monday.

“I thought there are a lot of documentaries about Stephen King. There are some great adaptations that have been made such as the Stand, the Green Mile, Shawshank. So, I was thinking that it could be interesting to have this look on the cinema,” said Daphne Baiwir.

Baiwir is directing “King on Screen.”

“Stephen King has a great relationship with the cinema as is the most adapted author actually. So yeah, I thought that could be a great angle to to meet those directors and to talk with them about Stephen King,” said Baiwir.

One of those directors was on set Monday.

“I’ve directed more Stephen King adaptations than anyone, and it is humbling and something that I’m really proud of,” said Mick Garris.

Producer Sebastién Cruz, Miko Hughes (Gage Creed from PET SEMATARY) and director Daphné Baiwir

Garris’ King credits include the TV miniseries “The Stand” and “The Shining” and the films “Sleepwalkers” and “Riding the Bullet.” On this day, he was the one in front of the camera.

“A blind man, a figure from one of the over 200 stories written by Stephen King. Daphne, the director is putting in all kinds of Easter eggs from all of his stories,” said Garris.

Another of those Easter eggs will be Miko Hughes.

“Yeah, it’s an interesting concept for a documentary. Daphne’s interviewing directors from a lot of the major Stephen King films, and there’s going to be a segment, I think, in the beginning that’s kind of a collage of references. There’s going to be a lot of cool cameos, and they asked me to be a part of it, and it seems like a fun project,” said Hughes.

Miko famously played Gage in Pet Sematary.

“I think the part that I played in Pet Sematary as a whole was powerful because it had supernatural elements, but the horror in it was was a familiar horror that could happen to anyone is, you know, a loss of a loved one in the family, which I think struck a chord, or, you know, it hit really hard with people, and so it’s memorable,” said Hughes.

An example of the work that will be highlighted throughout the documentary.

“I think King writes in a very cinematic sense, regardless, but it’s also based on people that the writing that he does is so human, and so identifiable, you know, and it’s everyday people, too. It’s not just elites. It’s not just people of a certain financial level, but he really understands the blue collar world, the real world, the pain and suffering that people go through, the joys and the happiness they go through. But, he also is able to convey fears that are universal that we all have regardless of our status in life,” said Garris.

The director says the plan is to enter it into film festivals and release it in theaters in the fall.

NeesyGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • ....dammit Steve!....they made a horror story out of parking....ayuh.....
    NeesyHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • Cool concept.
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Yellow Veil Pictures has acquired world sales rights to Daphné Baiwir’s feature documentary King On Screen. The film, which centers on the journey of works by legendary horror author Stephen King from the page to cinema and television screens, will premiere at Fantastic Fest in September.

Approved by King, the doc features an inside look with the majority of directors who have adapted his work for the screen, showcasing that unique relationship. Included in the picture are The Shawshank Redemption helmer Frank Darabont as well as Mick Garris, Mike Flanagan, Greg Nicotero and more. In 1976, Brian de Palma directed Carrie, the first adaptation of King’s work. Since then, more than 50 directors have brought over 80 films and series to the screen.

Directed by Baiwir (The Rebellious Olivia De Havilland), the documentary is produced by Sebastien Cruz for Les Films de la Plage, Jean-Yves Roubin for Frakas Productions and Zoe Salmon for Mr Salmon Films, with the participation of OCS.

Hugues Barbier, Co-Founder of Yellow Veil Pictures said, “King On Screen gives a great insight in the mind of the filmmakers adapting King’s work, and Daphné did an incredible job capturing the essence of the process. We are really excited to bring Daphné’s vision to Fantastic Fest and its crowd of film connoisseurs.”

Added Baiwir, “I’m so glad we managed to gather such stellar names for King On Screen, who gave such insight into King’s work and its journey to the big screen. With illustrious directors and the celebrated actors who collaborated with us to recreate some of the iconic look and situations of King’s adaptations as an introduction to the documentary including Jeffrey DeMunn, James Caan, Tim Curry, Amy Irving, Dee Wallace and Carel Struycken, the experience was unbelievable!”

Hedda Gablernot_nadineFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenLou_Sytsma
  • Fantastic! Hope it lands on streaming services shortly after the premiere.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • edited February 2023
    This film has secured a theatrical release in "late summer" and a digital release in the fall.

Lou_SytsmaHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Here's your first look at Stephen King documentary Stephen King on Screen

The first clip from Stephen King on Screen, a new documentary described as "the ultimate guide to the King of your nightmares", is here.

The brief snippet features Mike Flanagan – a longtime King aficionado and Haunting of Hill House creator – discussing the "terrific female characters" of the writer’s work, as well as the impact certain women have had on King’s life.

Flanagan, who brought King’s horror novel Gerald’s Game to life on the big screen back in 2017 and then Doctor Sleep in 2019, also talks about the role King's wife Tabitha had in shaping (and saving) one of the author's most iconic works in Carrie.

"If you listen to him talk about Tabitha and you realize that she pulled the manuscript of Carrie out of the trashcan when he threw it in there in complete despair; when you imagine her being the first set of eyes on one of his stories and getting him that first critical feedback… it’s very easy to see where he gets a lot of that fortitude and mettle that his heroines have," Flanagan explains.

GamesRadar+ and Total Film also has the exclusive first look at the artwork for Stephen King on Screen, which features King and iconography from some of his most famous stories.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir