Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

New short story: Finn (May 25)

“Finn,” a Scribd exclusive, is set in Ireland and tells the story of a young man, unlucky since birth, who gets caught up in a case of mistaken identity. The darkly funny, unsettling tale takes Finn through existential and psychological crises in a world where bullies and madmen upend the lives of the innocent. “Finn” will be released May 25.

“Finn” will be released simultaneously in ebook and audiobook formats exclusive to subscribers of reading subscription service Scribd. A subscription is $11.99 a month and offers access to ebooks, audiobooks and magazine articles.

>>> Learn more
GNTLGNTFlakeNoir

Comments

• WTH! on many levels here.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • WTH! on many levels here.
    Only accessible if you subscribe to a monthly thing? Yes... WTH?
    Try explaining this to certain.... individuals. 
    GNTLGNTKurben
  • edited April 2022
    FlakeNoir said:
    WTH! on many levels here.
    Only accessible if you subscribe to a monthly thing? Yes... WTH?
    Try explaining this to certain.... individuals. 
    Why anyone would pay 11.99 a month for this…. I can subscribe to Epix AND Apple TV for this, AFTER a free trial. 

I can watch 3 or 4 series a month numerous docs and movies by putting my money to visual entities. 

I have so many bookshelves to browse from right now, and maybe I read a book or two a month.  I would get more bang for my buck with the streaming services. Still not a bad deal
    per se. if you can cancel anytime, 11.99 for one month just to get a King short story would be pricey but worth it.

I know it’s a great story. Have fun reading it subscribers. But I won’t be one of them. Bummer. 

Yep. Nope. Not I said the little red hen. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited April 2022
    And, does it have a Chasing the Boogeyman connection?  

Chizmar used that burlap mask heavily in his campaign.  I question the use?
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • And yes. The burlap head covering above leans more towards someone captive, not as perpetrator with eyeholes as in CtheB. 

It just seems to me the cover artist needed to read the room.  Hellooooo. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I haven't read Chasing the Boogeyman, so didn't see a connection. 
    GNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I haven't read Chasing the Boogeyman, so didn't see a connection. 
    As soon as I saw it , it screamed Chasing the Boogeyman — minus eyeholes. 

Cover art is huge. Important. Make it so. 
    GNTLGNT
  • I don't believe this has anything to do with Boogeyman. It's set in Ireland.

Scribd offers a 30-day free trial, I'm told.
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ....nope, nope, nope.....all sorts of nope.....free trial or 11.99 makes no difference.....CR shouldn't have to jump through these hoops....I'm tired of Chasing The New Title......
    Hedda GablerKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....nope, nope, nope.....all sorts of nope.....free trial or 11.99 makes no difference.....CR shouldn't have to jump through these hoops....I'm tired of Chasing The New Title......

agree!
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurben
  • edited May 2022
    Okay. Available today. 60 day free trial. 

Not gonna do it. Frankly, i am more than tired of being treated like a fish being lured into these places.  

I would love to read it.  I know it is good. I know it. I love Stephen’s writing. 
    Does an artist deserve to make money off their creativity? Absofuckinglutely! Yes yes and yes. 

But 60 days free? What’s the point? People are going to read it free and cancel. Why not just give it away free? Obviously Stephen is aware what’s going to happen.  The company I’m assuming has already paid him. And rightly so. 

But, the company is where I have the problem. It is banking on, counting on people to “forget” to cancel or just slack off slowly over time. They don’t care. They bank your money whether you read or not. 

And, they get your info and sell your info, whether you stay with them or not. Read fine print, there is always sharing your information with business partners — but gosh, no one else.  

It’s like a gym membership. You go into it with good intentions. I’m gonna work my brain. I’m gonna go every day! I’m going to use this service. And good for those who stick with the program.  But I know me. There are too many places competing for my dollars. 
    Maybe I can “cancel anytime.” “No obligation.” Whether I spend money for all access, or an individual product — it depends on your wants, needs, whims, desires. 

Will all access be the best option for your dollars? For your time?  If money is your driving factor, if you read a lot, you pay pennies for the work. Good for you.  

For me, how ‘bout i just don’t sign up and read a hundred really good free stories offered by numerous authors who I will then seek out their work and purchase. I will buy their books the old fashioned way. Because that’s what I do. That works for me. 

And for the record, this really has nothing to do with Stephen and his story.  Not really. It’s the business practices of selling to consumers by these companies. 

Does anyone get what I’m trying to say? 
    catKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Okay. Available today. 60 day free trial. 

Not gonna do it. Frankly, i am more than tired of being treated like a fish being lured into these places.  

I would love to read it.  I know it is good. I know it. I love Stephen’s writing. 
    Does an artist deserve to make money off their creativity? Absofuckinglutely! Yes yes and yes. 

But 60 days free? What’s the point? People are going to read it free and cancel. Why not just give it away free? Obviously Stephen is aware what’s going to happen.  The company I’m assuming has already paid him. And rightly so. 

But, the company is where I have the problem. It is banking on, counting on people to “forget” to cancel or just slack off slowly over time. They don’t care. They bank your money whether you read or not. 

And, they get your info and sell your info, whether you stay with them or not. Read fine print, there is always sharing your information with business partners — but gosh, no one else.  

It’s like a gym membership. You go into it with good intentions. I’m gonna work my brain. I’m gonna go every day! I’m going to use this service. And good for those who stick with the program.  But I know me. There are too many places competing for my dollars. 
    Maybe I can “cancel anytime.” “No obligation.” Whether I spend money for all access, or an individual product — it depends on your wants, needs, whims, desires. 

Will all access be the best option for your dollars? For your time?  If money is your driving factor, if you read a lot, you pay pennies for the work. Good for you.  

For me, how ‘bout i just don’t sign up and read a hundred really good free stories offered by numerous authors who I will then seek out their work and purchase. I will buy their books the old fashioned way. Because that’s what I do. That works for me. 

And for the record, this really has nothing to do with Stephen and his story.  Not really. It’s the business practices of selling to consumers by these companies. 

Does anyone get what I’m trying to say? 
    Yes.
    catGNTLGNT
  • .....well said young Jedi-ette....I'll hold out hope for another collection at some point, which will compile all these "carrots" from the end of the literary stick.....
    Hedda GablercatFlakeNoirKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    .....well said young Jedi-ette....I'll hold out hope for another collection at some point, which will compile all these "carrots" from the end of the literary stick.....
    Oh definitely. Put it in a book and my money is there. 
    catFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNT
  • So, anyone read it? I watched a guy review it, he sounded pretty unimpressed. But, i was pretty unimpressed with him. I’m sure he’s a great guy and all. His complaints seemed limp. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • It has a rather vague ending, but it reminded me a bit of Tom Bissell's story from Flight or Fright, although in a slightly more whimsical way. It's about an Irish lad who's had a run of bad luck who gets wrapped up in something that's altogether none of his fault, with things getting progressively odder and odder.
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler