Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Constant Readers! HELP! What King Audiobook Should I Get?

edited August 2022 in Free for all
So I have one Audible credit to use and am trying to decide which King audiobook to get.

Should I get The Stand which clocks in at almost 48 hours or Pet Sematary where I understand Michael C. Hall does a killer job?

Or Duma Key read by John Slattery, also praised for his narration?

Or On Writing narrated by King himself? Or Bag of Bones - which I've heard before and King does a killer job reciting it?

Or IT?

Or Insomnia?

Or... so many choices.

If you had to pick one King audiobook, which would it be?

HELP!
FlakeNoir

Comments

• I would go with a collection of shorts and if there is one that King reads them all — that one . 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I'd be tempted by the Pet Sematary one purely for the Michael C Hall aspect as I'm currently watching Six Foot Under from start to end. 
    Though The Stand, Insomnia or IT for story value would be right up there for me.
    I have very little audiobook experience though, so am probably not a very good judge of Audibile purchase character. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Duma Key, definitely -- John Slattery's narration is spot-on perfect for the character.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ...it's a sentimental favorite, so I would get The Stand......
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • I'm a sucker for the stuff SK narrates himself, he always does a great job. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited August 2022
    Notaro said:
    I'm a sucker for the stuff SK narrates himself, he always does a great job. 
    Some authors can read their stuff and some can’t. King can. I love when he reads his stuff. I know exactly how he wanted the words to sound. The emphasis, the tone.  Loud, quiet, pauses, emotion. it’s all there when he reads. If he would go back and read all his work, i would buy it all again. 

While he doesn’t read Danse Macabre, that is a terrific book and the one I think has the most personal anecdotes than any other book he’s done. You age with Stephen as he takes you through books and movies with stories from his life related to the works. 

NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • ....I've aged through his entire career....get offa my books!.... :D
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben
  • Thanks all!

Definitely food for thought.

Still pondering...

But I do have the audiobook of Fairy Tale pre-ordered.  Haven't decided if I'm going to do the audiobook first or read the book.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • I'm not sure we helped much with everyone suggesting something different!

I would also second Steve's reading of Bag of Bones -- since it's a first-person narrative, it seems like he's telling a story around the campfire.
  • Yes that's a great choice - I've already listened to it. King does a great job.
  • edited September 2022
    So to end the suspense - I ended up getting 2 books, because I received a 2nd credit.

1) On Writing - because I reread this regularly and want to hear King's voice behind the words.

(Bonus - didn't know Joe  & Owen also narrate too!)

2) Duma Key - because I'm curious to hear John Slattery's performance.
    BevVincentFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Perfect choices. "On Writing" especially. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma