Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Sunny Pines - a round robin novella

Sunny Pines, by Glen Krisch, Ray Garton, Bev Vincent, and Kealan Patrick Burke

• Artist: Alan Clark
  • Pub. Date: March 2023
  • ISBN: 978-1-58767-852-3

About the Book:

After an absence of twenty-two years, childhood friends Connor, Miguel, and Jelica agree to meet at Sunny Pines, the mobile home park where they grew up. Sunny Pines had always been a violent place, where drugs and crime were prevalent and visits from the police commonplace. Some say it had been built on bad ground, a spoiled, cursed land. Nothing positive ever came from Sunny Pines, and those who managed to escape it carried the traumas from that environment wherever they wound up.   

For the three friends, this is a solemn gathering and, hopefully, a way to put the past to rest. A recent fire destroyed the neighborhood, killing six and leaving many more injured. But their return does little to quiet their childhood memories. Instead, their arrival stirs every vile remnant of dysfunction into waking, and they must face their demons if they are to truly leave the mobile home park for good.

Published as a trade paperback:
• Printed on 60# acid-free paper
• Featuring full color cover artwork
• Retail price $14.99

GNTLGNTGrant87Hedda GablerFlakeNoir

Comments

• glen krisch had one of my top 10 of my year of Cemetery Dance at Skmb. Out of like 75 books. It was good. 
    GNTLGNT
  • He wrote most of this book -- Garton, Burke and I wrote the first three chapters. He wrote the final eight or so.
    GNTLGNTKurben
  • After an absence of twenty-two years, childhood friends Connor, Miguel, and Jelica agree to meet at Sunny Pines, the mobile home park where they grew up. Sunny Pines had always been a violent place, where drugs and crime were prevalent and visits from the police commonplace. Some say it had been built on bad ground, a spoiled, cursed land. Nothing positive ever came from Sunny Pines, and those who managed to escape it carried the traumas from that environment wherever they wound up.

For the three friends, this is a solemn gathering and, hopefully, a way to put the past to rest. A recent fire destroyed the neighborhood, killing six and leaving many more injured. But their return does little to quiet their childhood memories. Instead, their arrival stirs every vile remnant of dysfunction into waking, and they must face their demons if they are to truly leave the mobile home park for good.

Even though this was a very quick read the characters were fleshed out enough for me to connect with them and envision their lives as children and adults. I wanted them to be ok.

Three childhood friends reunite at the burned out remains of the trailer park where they grew up, to face a timeless evil. As children, all they really had was each other to count on, bonded by the abuse and neglect that was their life in Sunny Pines. Now they will confront their darkest fears in an attempt to cleanse the grounds before it ruins more lives.

Four authors have come together to each write a section of this supernatural horror novella. I can't imagine how difficult that must be, like having four cooks with different recipes all cooking in the same pot and yet somehow they did not spoil the soup! 

4 out of 5 stars >>> Source
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • "The authors evoke a wonderfully grungy atmosphere and take bold swings in placing both ugliness and tenderness at the heart of their story." - Publisher's Weekly

KurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Even though this was a very quick read the characters were fleshed out enough for me to connect with them and envision their lives as children and adults. I wanted them to be ok.

Three childhood friends reunite at the burned out remains of the trailer park where they grew up, to face a timeless evil. As children, all they really had was each other to count on, bonded by the abuse and neglect that was their life in Sunny Pines. Now they will confront their darkest fears in an attempt to cleanse the grounds before it ruins more lives.

Four authors have come together to each write a section of this supernatural horror novella. I can't imagine how difficult that must be, like having four cooks with different recipes all cooking in the same pot and yet somehow they did not spoil the soup!

- Irene Cole, Well Worth a Read
    GNTLGNTLou_SytsmaHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • It's here -- many, many years in the making...

GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirLou_SytsmaHedda Gabler
  • ...good cover and good company....Ray is a good scribbler as well....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited March 2023
    from the Booklist review:
    The four writers connected to this work each wrote a section of the story. They didn’t collaborate or then work to blend styles. Their fun-natured approach to this horror novella shows, and it should be given to readers that need a good story about adults vanquishing their childhood monsters.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Midwest Book Review:

The collaborative literary project of accomplished co-authors Glen Krisch, Ray Garton, Bev Vincent, and Kealan Patrick Burke, "Sunny Pines" deftly combines a coming of age theme with a suspense thriller of a story that will linger in the mind and memory of the reader long after the book has been finished and set back upon the shelf. Highly recommended to the attention of readers with an interest in adults dealing with their childhood demons.
    KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I have this. Ugh. I need to be reading but my attention is everywhere. 
    KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT