Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Holly (September 5, 2023)

edited January 2023 in General news
Holly Gibney, one of Stephen King’s most compelling and ingeniously resourceful characters, returns in this thrilling novel to solve the gruesome truth behind multiple disappearances in a midwestern town.

“Sometimes the universe throws you a rope.” —BILL HODGES

Stephen King’s Holly marks the triumphant return of beloved King character Holly Gibney. Readers have witnessed Holly’s gradual transformation from a shy (but also brave and ethical) recluse in Mr. Mercedes to Bill Hodges’s partner in Finders Keepers to a full-fledged, smart, and occasionally tough private detective in The Outsider. In King’s new novel, Holly is on her own, and up against a pair of unimaginably depraved and brilliantly disguised adversaries.

When Penny Dahl calls the Finders Keepers detective agency hoping for help locating her missing daughter, Holly is reluctant to accept the case. Her partner, Pete, has Covid. Her (very complicated) mother has just died. And Holly is meant to be on leave. But something in Penny Dahl’s desperate voice makes it impossible for Holly to turn her down.

Mere blocks from where Bonnie Dahl disappeared live Professors Rodney and Emily Harris. They are the picture of bourgeois respectability: married octogenarians, devoted to each other, and semi-retired lifelong academics. But they are harboring an unholy secret in the basement of their well-kept, book-lined home, one that may be related to Bonnie’s disappearance. And it will prove nearly impossible to discover what they are up to: they are savvy, they are patient, and they are ruthless.

Holly must summon all her formidable talents to outthink and outmaneuver the shockingly twisted professors in this chilling new masterwork from Stephen King.

“I could never let Holly Gibney go. She was supposed to be a walk-on character in Mr. Mercedes and she just kind of stole the book and stole my heart. Holly is all her.” STEPHEN KING
  • Publisher: Scribner (September 5, 2023)
  • Length: 464 pages
  • ISBN13: 9781668016138
  • LIST PRICE $30.00
GNTLGNTFlakeNoir

Comments

• Intriguing.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • ....I like the look....almost Gothic in appearance....or Victorian.....one of them....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • OK!!!! I officially can not wait. I want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!  But, as usual, i guess i just have too....
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited January 2023
    I would say the cover was designed by the same person who did The Institute.

KurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • I would say the cover was designed by the same person who did The Institute.

Sure looks like it. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Now I have to live long enough to read it. Stephen King is helping me set staying-alive goals.  

I think this is why I am so hesitant to read all his books.  His works are my O’Henry Last Leaf. 

I wonder how he would feel about that? 
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Now I have to live long enough to read it. Stephen King is helping me set staying-alive goals.  

I think this is why I am so hesitant to read all his books.  His works are my O’Henry Last Leaf. 

I wonder how he would feel about that? 
     Great idea for a story - writer must write to keep a fan alive.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ....write the book Deej!!!!!......
    Lou_SytsmaKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited January 2023
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....write the book Deej!!!!!......
    Lou should do it. 

Things to think about :

why would the writer care? Why would he want to keep this particular fan alive? His fans are a dime a dozen. The fan factory pumps out new fans daily. 

What’s in it for the writer? Maybe the writer is dying and needs something from this fan — an organ or some other organic tissue and she is the only person in the whole wide world who can provide it. But there’s a catch! This thing he needs is only viable while she lives. It sours and becomes null and void after her death. And he can’t have the treatment yet. 

the fan is dying, only has so long to live. His books keep her going, bolsters her desire to fight. So he writes at a fever pitch! Lose her— lose him. Can he keep her alive long enough?  A race against time! 

Is the writer a good guy? Does he just keep up the pace? Or does he become weary and take a darker path? will his desire to live turn him into evil? 

Throw in a crooked cop, a talking doll, three kittens who lost their mittens, an Indian burial ground, and Voodoo Momma JuJu and you’ve got a best seller! 
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Would you like to read an excerpt from Holly?
    Oh man!  That was barely a snack. Crumbs!  I need to finish the Mercedes series and read The Outsider, speedy quick .  
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....write the book Deej!!!!!......
    Lou should do it. 

Things to think about :

why would the writer care? Why would he want to keep this particular fan alive? His fans are a dime a dozen. The fan factory pumps out new fans daily. 

What’s in it for the writer? Maybe the writer is dying and needs something from this fan — an organ or some other organic tissue and she is the only person in the whole wide world who can provide it. But there’s a catch! This thing he needs is only viable while she lives. It sours and becomes null and void after her death. And he can’t have the treatment yet. 

the fan is dying, only has so long to live. His books keep her going, bolsters her desire to fight. So he writes at a fever pitch! Lose her— lose him. Can he keep her alive long enough?  A race against time! 

Is the writer a good guy? Does he just keep up the pace? Or does he become weary and take a darker path? will his desire to live turn him into evil? 

Throw in a crooked cop, a talking doll, three kittens who lost their mittens, an Indian burial ground, and Voodoo Momma JuJu and you’ve got a best seller! 
    Seems like you are well on your way.   ;)
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • edited January 2023
    So Bev, how long before you get to read it?  Or have you already?     ;)
  • So Bev, how long before you get to read it?  Or have you already?     ;)
    I haven't yet, but I hope to get a copy soon.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTLou_SytsmaFlakeNoir
  • Would you like to read an excerpt from Holly?
    just another American manslob.

...my brethren..it's a bit of nice, that slice-can't wait for the whole wheel of cheese though.....
    KurbenLou_SytsmaFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Great choice!  Justine Lupine, who played Holly in the Mr. Mercedes TV series will narrate the upcoming Holly book.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Holly/Stephen-King/9781797161419
    Hedda GablerBevVincentGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • The first review of Holly, coming from Booklist.  They call it "the novel Holly deserves."

Private investigator Holly Gibney, who played supporting roles in Mr. Mercedes (2014), Finders Keepers (2015), and The Outsider (2018), takes center stage in King’s new novel. A woman has gone missing, and her distraught mother begs Holly to take the case. Holly would rather not—the COVID-19 pandemic is in full swing, and Holly’s own mother has just died, but as King’s readers will know, Holly is unable to turn away from someone in distress. As she digs into the case, she soon discovers that the missing woman might not be the only person who has disappeared in the past few years. A serial killer? Or something altogether more evil? Opening up a new Stephen King novel and encountering his conversational prose is like settling into a comfortable chair or digging into a favorite meal. There’s an immediate sense of satisfaction. In her new leading role, Holly shines. She’s tough, relentless, and compassionate while at the same time being vulnerable and prone to lapses of confidence. The story is the kind of thing King excels at, too—dark, mysterious, and deeply unsettling. This is the novel Holly deserves.

HIGH-DEMAND BACKSTORY: King is always on hold lists, but requests will ratchet way up as a favorite female character takes the helm.

— David Pitt

BevVincentGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirLou_SytsmaKurben
  • Can't wait to read Bev's thoughts.
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • edited July 2023
  • Second review, from Kirkus.  It's as negative as the first one was positive.

A much-beloved author gives a favorite recurring character her own novel.

Holly Gibney made her first appearance in print with a small role in Mr. Mercedes (2014). She played a larger role in The Outsider (2018). And she was the central character in If It Bleeds, a novella in the 2020 collection of the same name. King has said that the character “stole his heart.” Readers adore her, too. One way to look at this book is as several hundred pages of fan service. King offers a lot of callbacks to these earlier works that are undoubtedly a treat for his most loyal devotees. That these easter eggs are meaningless and even befuddling to new readers might make sense in terms of costs and benefits. King isn’t exactly an author desperate to grow his audience; pleasing the people who keep him at the top of the bestseller lists is probably a smart strategy, and this writer achieved the kind of status that whatever he writes is going to be published. Having said all that, it’s possible that even his hardcore fans might find this story a bit slow. There are also issues in terms of style. Much of the language King uses and the cultural references he drops feel a bit creaky. The word slacks occurs with distracting frequency. King uses the phrase keeping it on the down-low in a way that suggests he probably doesn’t understand how this phrase is currently used—and has been used for quite a while. But the biggest problem is that this narrative is framed as a mystery without delivering the pleasures of a mystery. The reader knows who the bad guys are from the start. This can be an effective storytelling device, but in this case, waiting for the private investigator heroine to get to where the reader is at the beginning of the story feels interminable.

Loyal King stans may disagree, but this is a snooze.

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma

• Tune in on August 3rd at 2pm EST to watch Stephen King read from his new novel HOLLY, coming September 5th!
    FlakeNoirLou_SytsmaGrant87Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Back to positive with the review from Library Journal.

King gives former supporting player Holly Gibney (introduced in Mr. Mercedes) her own full-length novel to solve the case of a missing person. Private investigator Holly is supposed to be on bereavement leave after the death of her mother, but she can't dismiss the persistent Penny Dahl. Penny's daughter Bonnie disappeared while biking home from work a month earlier, and the police didn't have time for more than a cursory investigation into what seemed to be a case of an adult walking away from her own life. Holly investigates, with help from friends. She soon realizes that Bonnie's is not an isolated case; others have gone missing in the last few years. The only similarity among the disappeared people is that they were last seen in the same area. The deeper Holly goes, the more convinced she becomes that something very sinister is going on. VERDICT King's choice to set the novel in the middle of COVID works, both to develop his characters and to keep Holly off base, emotionally and professionally. He eschews the supernatural here but finds all the horror possible in the evil that "normal" people may do. Mystery and horror readers will find much to love.—Jane Jorgenson

KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerLou_Sytsma

• Tune in on August 3rd at 2pm EST to watch Stephen King read from his new novel HOLLY, coming September 5th!
    He’s looking good here.  Some past photos and/or videos had me concerned. 

Still behind on all things Holly. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • Okay. He says he’s written about holly 7 times. What were they? I’m forgetting two. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT