Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Crouch End

edited July 2004 in Dark Tower
Any thoughts on the short story Crouch End ( Nightmares and Dreamscapes) and the characters in it being 'walk-ins'? The cops in the story said that it felt 'thin'. Probably wrong, just thought I'd ask. :-[

Comments

• Only want to add that the story did scare the bejesus out of me, granted that I didn't know who the heck this Lovecraft was at the time when I first read it (the original version which is slightly different from the one in Nightmares & Dreamscapes).  :o

And to answer your question, no I don't think they are walk-ins (imo of course) unless they are refugees from a lost Lovecraft tale that got absorbed into Gan by mistake and channelled into poor SK.  ;D
  • Gee..Does that mean that Lovecraft's world of Cthulhu is incorporated into King's Universe? What a scary thought! :o

John
  • Here is one that's even scarier. What if all the popular fiction of the 20th century is incorporated into King's universe? Harry Potter's sneetches has made it, and so did Thomas Wolfe, so what next?? ::)
  • The monsters in the Todash darkness sound like Lovecraftian beasties to me. I also wonder if the events in the short story "The Mist" are the result of someone opening a portal to the Todash darkness?
  • I have thought of that too and am pretty sure events in The Mist is the result of todash darkness being unleashed into that world.

And don't you think that the title character in Nona looks too much like a low woman for comfort? Giant rat, eew.

Other obvious connection from Skeleton Crew would be Mrs Todd's Shortcut.

No wonder the book was in bold as one of the DT-related books ;)
  • Say, thats good! Along the lines about what I've been thinking. I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss Crouch End though. Like I said the main narrator explains the place as being 'thin'. Where have we heard that before???? ;)

Like the idea of Mrs. Todds Shortcut. Kind of like 'you know they got a hell of a band" An oasis(?) unknown to anyone. Different time concept
  • For what it is worth, the only Skeleton Key story that King's DT site lists as a connection is The Mist.
  • the only Skeleton Key story

Skeleton Crew man.

;D

that King's DT site lists as a connection is The Mist.

You can never trust something which is not done yet. Just ask Bev, just ask anybody. ;D
  • I love you Sunny. you are now my favourite. Thank-you for making my point for me. I kinda gave up, no one listens to me. Or they tell me Im wrong.

You are on my christmas list
  • I love you Sunny. you are now my favourite. Thank-you for making my point for me. I kinda gave up, no one listens to me. Or they tell me Im wrong.

You are on my christmas list  

Aah, those are the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on this messageboard. I hope there's no sarcasm tagged to it  ;D

Anyway, I luv you too pretty penguin. In fact, I am starting to worship you.

;D
  • None whatsoever. :-*
  • So why is there a Crouch End discussion in the SoS thread??????
  • sunny99 wrote:

Skeleton Crew man.

;D

You can never trust something which is not done yet. Just ask Bev, just ask anybody.  ;D

I guess that is what I get for typing without thinking. I just reread Skeleton Crew, you think I would have been able to remember the name.

And, although I don't disagree that it is possible that there are other connections in there, i don't buy the 'something which is not done yet' argument. It is done. just because it hasn't been published and we haven't read it doesn't change the fact that it is written and finished.

• Its in the sos one because i didnt want anyone blabbing about stuff if no one else has read it yet. ie Bob.

And frankly, i felt like it.

plus sos is where they introduced the theory behind walk-ins........ :P
  • jus askin and have read both now! :)
  • good for you :)
  • I guess that is what I get for typing without thinking.

Yep. And thanks for not returning the favor.  ;D

And, although I don't disagree that it is possible that there are other connections in there, i don't buy the 'something which is not done yet' argument. It is done. just because it hasn't been published and we haven't read it doesn't change the fact that it is written and finished.

We will see, my friend, we will see  ;D It isn't too long til Sept 21 or has anyone an extra ARC to spare (here I go again)  ;)
  • We will see, my friend, we will see It isn't too long til Sept 21

Yep. It will be weird to not have all of these things to dicuss/argue about any more.

• THANK-YOU!! Hence the new topic I started! (the end is near) I wanted everyones take on what well talk about once its done
  • I wanted everyones take on what well talk about once its done

Penguins, turtles, spiders and whether SK talks in his sleep... ;D