Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Dollar Baby Film Festival?

Has anyone heard of this? ???

Comments

• sunny99 wrote: Has anyone heard of this?  ???

Yes. What a great event James is putting together!

There are special plans regarding this. They will be announced soon.
  • Wow! Can't wait for the news
  • Gotham Cafe will be represented at the 1st Annual Dollar Baby Festival in Bangor, Maine. Although Gotham Cafe will not be ready to be screened in time for the fest Julie Sands the actress who plays Diane will be documenting the shoot and screening highlights in a special behind the scenes documentary for festivalgoers. This is the only time this archival footage will ever be exhibited.

• Sorry if I missed this question on any of the threads but is there any plans for Gotham Cafe to be put out on DVD or does the contract prohibit that too?

And this Dollar Baby Film Festival is really one hell of a great idea. Just curious to know, how many finished product of dollar babies are out there currently??
  • There must be at least 20 of them. There's been a real rash of them of late. Maybe even 25.

Gotham can't be issued on DVD, either. It can only be shown at film festivals and included on participants' resume reels.
  • At least 20. My gosh!

Seems to me like the same story can be sold for a dollar to more than one director interested in it if SK deem the script up to standard. I was of the impression before that it was only one director for one story. Guess I'm wrong  ;D
  • I'm still waiting to finalize a deal with a local venue. I'll be able to

make that announcement sometime next week and the website will be up very soon. I'll let you know.

-James

• All the best, James!
  • sunny99 wrote: At least 20. My gosh!

Seems to me like the same story can be sold for a dollar to more than one director interested in it if SK deem the script up to standard. I was of the impression before that it was only one director for one story. Guess I'm wrong  ;D

Until recently, I thought that was the case, too, but there have been reports of three different directors being granted the rights to do All That You Love Will Be Carried Away.
  • Until recently, I thought that was the case, too, but there have been reports of three different directors being granted the rights to do All That You Love Will Be Carried Away.

Yeah that was the story I was referring to. The version that has been finished was quite good actually but was strangely enough titled The Secret Transit Codes of America. ;D

And thanks for the lowdown on how Bangor got it's name on the Back From Bangor thread. Interesting stuff. Where do you get all these infos? ;D
  • Google!!

Couldn't live without it!
  • Aah. Pin the blame on Googles ;D
  • Hey guys -

Jay Holben here - first time posting. Great site, Bev - I've been lurking for a while now.

To help clear up a misconception regarding the Dollar Babies - especially relating to multi versions - a lot of people (Stephen included, at times) uses the terms "rights" when talking about the Dollar Babies, but it's an incorrect term. Legally speaking, there is no assignment of rights whatsoever to any of the Dollar Babies; that's the whole concept of the deal. Stephen retains all rights to the stories and, instead, he grants his PERMISSION for the filmmaker to make a non-commercial product. This is a non-exclusive deal and the filmmaker owns no rights to the original story, but has Stephen's express permission to exhibit in limited venues. In this instance, anyone looking to exercise a Dollar Baby deal has free reign to any of the King stories (assuming Stephen grants his permission to that filmmaker, of course).

As I'm sure Bev, and a lot of you, already know - there have been more redundancies than just All You Love Will Be Carried Away in the Dollar Baby cannon of flicks. According to Stephen's introduction to The Shawshank Redemption published screenplay, there were versions made of Night Surf (before Peter Sullivan's), Cain Rose Up, and Here There Be Tygers (before James Cochran's) that were all made before 1996. According to Stephen between 1977 and 1996 there were "sixteen or seventeen" Dollar Babies made. Nine can be known for sure, although details of Night Surf, Cain Rose Up, Here There Be Tygers and Sun Dog are pretty much non-existent (at least as far as I've been able to track down). The Boogeyman, Disciples of the Crow and The Woman in the Room are all in that pre-1996 number.

In 1999 Stephen put the number at 20 (to that date). I know of one more - Llamadas - between 1996 and 1999, but there were possibly two or three more that aren't widely known. It's unfortunate that of the 20+ Dollar Babies made prior to 2000, because the Internet didn't exist, we have little information.

The point to this rambling nonsense, however, is that since there is no assignment of rights to any of the Dollar Baby filmmakers, there exists a possibility for multi versions of any of the stories made - and that seems to have happened a handful of times in the now nearly 30 Dollar Babies that have been made.

Hope to see many of you this weekend in Orono.

All the best,

Jay Holben

Director/Director of Photography

Paranoid

www.adakin.com/jayholben
  • Hey, Jay, great to see you here. Glad you decided to decloak.

Sorry I'm going to miss the film festival this weekend. Hope y'all have a blast. I think we'll have a little Gotham stuff to screen.