Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Any news of The Plant?

edited July 2004 in General news
Bev,

I was archiving some folders on my computer and came across my "Plant" e-book downloads. May I ask, have you heard any news about SK publishing the rest of the story for us constant readers. I would really like to read the end of this story and surely I am not alone in this desire.

As always, many thanks.

Comments

• I have serious doubts that King will ever return to this story. When he stopped writing it, he said that the story wasn't pulling him along, that he felt like he was pushing it along, which is never good.
  • In truth, I never like the story that much anyway. Just follow along because it is SK on the helm. Just imho though.

I can understand all the others who loved the story and just wants him to continue with it.

Bummer.  :(
  • Well now, see, I thought he had the entire story written, had in fact given the story to a few friends and associates as Christmas gifts. One of those people sold their copy and the general public became aware of its existence.

I for one would like to see how it ends because I did like the story a lot.
  • Back in 1982, 1983 and 1985, King sent out installments of The Plant as Christmas cards to friends and associates. Those three installments correspond more or less to the first three that were re-issued on the web. There were a couple of hundred copies distributed and they occasionally appeared on the secondary market. I have copies of the three booklets from that era.

He then continued with the story in 2000 and wrote the next three installments.

But then he stopped at the end of what is now Zenith Rising, book 1 of The Plant.
  • I read somewhere that SK was quoted as saying he stopped the first time round (before he started the online series) because he felt like he was writing his own version of 'Little Shop of Horrors"??
  • Yes, he was worried that the story was converging with Little Shop and its carnivorous plant.
  • Jack Nicholson should be so unlucky. First, Little Shop and then The Shining. ;D
  • I remember this hitting the headlines (internet headlines not news) as he was writing it in monthly installments. But as you know, this was a efw years back and as i was'nt really interested in reading back ad far as then, i never pursued what the gist of the story was about? Oh and is it anything to do with the DT series, or just a seperate thing altogether?
  • Separate non-DT related story.

Disgruntled rejected writer-to-be sends carnivorous plant to attack publishing house that rejected him.

Sort of. ;D

Maybe Bev or others can do better. ;D

• Actually, it isn't so far off from the DT series.

There were a few references to the Abballah.

Part of what intrigued me so much about the Plant was how King was going to link it into the DT, because it seemed to me that it was starting to lean in that direction.
  • Yes, Carlos Detweiller certainly had the possibility to become something like the old guy from Black House, the serial killer. He was the Crimson King's kinda guy.
  • Is there any reference to where the word abbalah originated from? Or is it just something King and Straub made up?

In Black House, the CK was referred to as Ram Abbalah on more than one occasion. Ram means goat and is the symbol most closely associated with satan or satanism. Just curious if abbalah means anything?

Also, perhaps SK stopped on The Plant this time round because it was moving too close to becoming a DT-related tale?? ;D
  • Also, perhaps SK stopped on The Plant this time round because it was moving too close to becoming a DT-related tale??

I doubt that would have stopped him. Motivated him to continue, more like!

I have quite a bit about Ram Aballah in tRttDT.
  • Another reason to get the book ;D

This must be the most comprehensive "Dark Tower Encyclopaedia" this side of the beam ;D

Can't wait for it and DT7.
  • Sept 21st and Oct 5th won't come soon enough
  • Oh it will come eventually provided somebody do not f&*ked up and accidently release some souped up version of the flu virus to the world at large. ;D
  • The video production company of Spanish broadcaster and sports rights broker Mediapro has announced a strategic alliance with Wild Sheep Content, the production company founded by former Netflix executive Erik Barmack. Under the terms of the deal, The Mediapro Studio will partner with Wild Sheep in developing and distributing new shows and films globally.

They include projects currently being developed by Wild Sheep, including a French language version of the Stephen King novel “The Plant” created by horror director Alexandre Aja

>>> Source

• They include projects currently being developed by Wild Sheep, including a French language version of the Stephen King novel “The Plant” created by horror director Alexandre Aja

....Great!....a snotty translation about a snotty plant......:D 
  • I really liked The Plant.  I will never say never that he'll finish it, because who knows what might kick-start his creativity with the tale?
  • ....it's the one "fragment" I really wish he'd revisit and see if there's any way to do a little creative CPR on it.....