Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What's it about?

edited August 2004 in Dark Tower
I took my copy of the DTVII ARC to work with me tonight, and one of my co-workers noticed it. I told him it was the last book of the seven book series. Then he asked me a question that really had me stumped:

The Dark Tower, huh. What's it about?

I didn't have a good answer for him. How do you do a brief summary of the Dark Tower to someone who's never heard of it?

Comments

• I usually start with: It's about a group of people on a quest to find and save the Tower that is at the center of existence.
  • I usually add it's King's version of LOTR....
  • I took my copy of the DTVII ARC to work with me tonight, and one of my co-workers noticed it.

Aargh! I entered the wrong thread. I just can't bear seeing the words DTVII ARC again! :o
  • what's it about?

I've run into this issue a few times. Several people- family and friends- who are not SK fans have asked about my DT devotion. It's a very hard thing to describe, particularly because the first step for anyone who might be interested, is to read The Gunslinger. And we all know that can be a difficult read- even the revision.

I try not to mention the LOTR analogy, but do use the words "Quest for the man in black" and the concept of different worlds.

It's funny, because once, I tried to explain this saga to a friend. And then he came back to me a week later and asked me to describe my infatuation with the tv show "24." NOT an easy task, with all the multiple stories there too....
  • I say sci-fi western. Clint Eastwood meets Sliders. (remember that show? it kicked butt)
  • Oh, and by the way? Anyone who mentions that they have an ARC?

IS OFF THE CHRISTMAS LIST!!!!

Don't care if youve got one, just dont mention it!!! Please
  • Ford_Prefect wrote: I say sci-fi western.  Clint Eastwood meets Sliders. (remember that show? it kicked butt)

Sheepish can attest to my love of Sliders. I thought that the last couple of seasons were pretty worthless. Once they dumped Maggie and brought in Quin's brother the whole show fell apart. At least, in my opinion.
  • Sliders. That the one with Jerry O'Connell?

It will make for a perfect tie-in to SK since Jerry also starred in Stand By Me. Intersting how conversations tend to relate back to SK without us noticing. ;D
  • sunny99 wrote: Sliders. That the one with Jerry O'Connell?

It will make for a perfect tie-in to SK since Jerry also starred in Stand By Me. Intersting how conversations tend to relate back to SK without us noticing.  ;D

Yeah, that was the show. For what it is worth, the character that they introducted in the 3rd (I think, maybe 4th) season as the brother of Jerry O'Connell's character was played by Jerry O'Connell's real life brother. As unlikely as it may seem, Jerry seemed to get all of the acting genes in the family. :(
  • they eeriley looked the same too. I also did not watch the last 2 seasons so I dont even know how it turned out.Did they eventually kill off that race of planet slavedrivers? Did Quinn find his woman? Happily ever after?
  • LOVING the earlier Sliders, I watched it faithfully till it all went weird too. That was a great show! Not only did it have Stand by Me's Jerry O'Connell, but LOTR's Gimly! new, did you ever see "Joe's Apartment" with Jerry? So funny and he's really good on Crossing Jordan also.

Lin
  • Quick recap of the last couple of seasons:

Quin, Maggie Colin (the bro.) and Rembrant were running around looking for the planet with the weapon to defeat the Kro-Mags. At the start of the 5th (last season) there was an 'accident' (later learned to be done by an evil scientist) and Quin was merged with one of his doubles that didn't look anything like him (b/c Jerry O'Connell didn't want to do the show any more) and Colin was lost in the wormhole. So, it was Maggie, Rembrant, the new Quin (who was basically a complete idiot). Then they picked up this woman scientist who had been working for the evil scientist (basic idea with this guy: he had accidently become unstable and was flipping through worlds without control. So, he was trying to collapse all worlds together so that he wouldn't keep flying through worlds). So, the group chases after him to try and seperate the Quins.

At the end, the scientist dies without seperating the Quins. They find a planet that has an antibody that would kill the Kro-Mags and the cordinates for their homeworld. Problem is that the timer broke and they could only send one person through. At the last moment, Rembrant injected himself with the anti-bodies and jumped through the wormhole leaving the other three stuck. That is how it ended. They left the series as a cliffhanger not saying what happened to the rest of the group and if Rembrant was successful or not.

From what I have read, they left it as a cliffhanger in order to try and get the Sci-Fi channel to pick them up for another season. It didn't work.
  • Did you do that all by memory? I'm impressed! Sliders in it's earlier incarnation was so well-cast there was great chemistry and fun, Jonathan Rhys-Davies was such a great casting decision! I love him.

Of course you still didn't answer my question above, so I'll have to bug you (no pun intended) until you do. Or whip you or something if sheepish will let me. :P

Off to do my stuff.. I shall return looking for answers.

Lin ;D
  • All by memory, but it is not really all that impressive, since I just watched the last couple of seasons within the last 3 months or so.

I thought that Jonathan Rhys-Davies was great in his role, and I was sad to see him go (for what it is worth, I have read that he quit because he didn't like the direction of the show and I have read that they fired him so that they could replace him with someone younger and with more sex-appeal).

I have seen Joe's Apartment, but it has been forever, so I don't really remember much of it.
  • You know me, easily impressed! :)  Besides, that was a pretty good overview.

If they let Jonathan go for any reason, their loss.  I was so impressed by him in LOTR as Gimli AND the voice of the lead Ent.

Joe's Apartment actually surprised me, I thought it was really clever and since I'm not a cockroach lover it surprised me even more.  They were really cute! :)

Lin

OMG, the thingy's back! haha, I got busted.
  • haha!

You've been thing-ied :P
  • Dukky, :), I hadn't seen the thingy in so long I thought Bev had removed it from circulation ;) ...

Lin
  • Lin242 wrote: Dukky, :), I hadn't seen the thingy in so long I thought Bev had removed it from circulation ;) ...

Lin

YaBB lets me say things like "NUTS" as in I would kick Apropos in his little nuts.

It's probably just a favouritism kinda thing ;)
  • I love joes apartment and make a point of watching it at least once a year. Its on mtv alot. The songs are so catchy. Crossing jordan iss one of my fav shows and i wish that something would happen between the two of them. I live vicariously through others.

Whats 'thingy'????
  • You haven't run into a "thingy" word yet Ford? ;D

Do an experiment and try and type some so called "bad" words and see what happens.

Just for an example I own two cockatiels. You know grey birds that are bigger than budgies but smaller than cockatoos. :D
  • lmao!! thingyatoos. That was great. !!

Is it automatic? or does someone have the job of reading everything and doing it?
  • Wait, i just caught exactly what was going on. why does it bleep out parts of words that are really words? C-o-c-k-r-o-a-c-h- is a real word is it not?

*sweet! I just found a loophole
  • Ford :) we had a whole thread at one point devoted to how the "word-buster" was going to "replace" things -- it's so funny.

If I'm correct, there is a built-in "censor" which I think Bev can manipulate to some degree. I always thought the "thingy" replacement was the funniest.

I believe the first time I noticed it was when IT(Kay) said a phrase like "it warms the cockles of my heart". It looks so funny the other way. ;D

Lin
  • so, it does it all the time? thats weird. you would think it would know the difference betwween a real word and a partial word. We can put a man on the moon but we cant say cockatoo.

can we say pussycat? ;D
  • girl thingy cat!! Im laughing my thingy off!!!!!!

This is great. That was the best birthday laugh ill have all day i bet. *sigh* wipes a tear