Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

DT revisions

edited August 2004 in Dark Tower
I had a discussion with another SK fan, and we didn't know the answer to this:

After DT7 comes out, will there be other revised versions of the series that will be published? Of course The Gunslinger "revision and expansion" came out, but I thought at the same time there was some word that the other books would be revised as well.

Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks in advance to those who will have the answers.

Comments

• King mentioned once in an interview that eventually he'd like to revise some of the other earlier DT books, but my feeling is that it's unlikely that will happen. I think he'd rather work on new stuff then go back and rehash old works. I could be wrong, but I think I'd classify that one under idle wishes on King's part rather than definite plans.
  • I could be wrong, but I think I'd classify that one under idle wishes on King's part rather than definite plans.

I hope you are wrong Bev, but the problem is you are always right  ;D

That means I have to save up to get the DT 2, 3 and 4 hardcover rerelease. Have been biding me time hoping SK would revise those three too before I splashed my cash on them  ;)
  • Hi Sunny,

You should get the "new" ones anyway, whether in hardcover or not, because it's always interesting to see just how and what King changed between the versions. It's kind of like a look into his creative mind!

John
  • Hi Sunny,

You should get the "new" ones anyway, whether in  hardcover or not, because it's always interesting to see just how and what King changed between the versions.  It's kind of like a look into his creative mind!

I don't think he changed anything for the 'new' ones John, except the revised Gunslinger which is why I got hold of it first. in any case, I think Bev can confirm this one for us  ;D

I read in his interview with Amazon.com that he was going to revised 2,3 and 4 a couple of years after he finished the whole thing so I put off getting them since I already had copies of 2,3 and 4 and I am not that much a completist to splashed out my money just for the sake of new cover arts. ;)
  • The Viking DT 1-4's are a work of art :)

I love my copies :)
  • The Viking DT 1-4's are a work of art :)

The Grant Limited 1st Editions are the true works of art ;D

But of course that's a matter of perspective ;D
  • Hi Sunny,

I read your original post that you did not want to get the revised DT II,III and IV, if and when they are ever done. I misunderstood. I just meant that if the revised versions are ever published, you should want those!

I agree with you about getting the "new" versions of those books that were published by Viking just for the new cover art--I don't think those are worth the price. If, however, you don't have the Grant hardcover copies of them, then that's the perfect solution!

John
  • Hi Sunny,

I read your original post that you did not want to get the revised DT II,III and IV, if and when they are ever done.  I misunderstood.  I just meant that if the revised versions are ever published, you should want those!

It's entirely my fault John. Now that I have reread my own post, it does sound kinda confusing not to mention contradictory  ;D

Actually I was half jokingly trying to point out that if Bev is right about SK not revising the other DTs then I would be out of a good reason to buy them again.  ;D

From a different perspective, it seems that I am the one who misunderstood your post  ;D

Sorry about that matey  ;)
  • I bought the new Viking editions of DT I-IV. DT I beacuse I wanted the revised version of course, and also because I would get the complete art work from that book. DT II and DT III I only bought because of the art work (they weren't revised). I own the Grant edition of DT IV so I just bought the Viking edition to complete the Viking series with the "19" and the re-words page and all of that.

I was very disapointed when I discovered that the new Viking editions does not (!) include the complete art work, but only a selected portion. On the inside of the dust jacket it says that it is the complete art work, but that's not correct. Hmmph, not good at all! >:(

EDIT: Changed some confusing things. Of course only DT I was revised.
  • Am I missing or misunderstanding here. I thought only DT 1 was Revised! 2 - 4 were re-published by Viking, but not with any new wording! ??? ??? ???
  • Bob,

You're right. King once indicated that he may (and I must emphasize the may) revise II, III and IV. That's what we've been talking about.

John
  • I bought my copies of the Viking (DT's) for two reasons:

I didn't have the DT series in hardback and had searched high and low for them (so was really pleased with that) :)

and

I wanted the artwork that each version produced also, so kinda killed two birds with one stone :)

It's always been a dream of mine to have King's entire fictional works in hardback, and am very close now :)

Only lacking The Bachman Books and Thinner.

I haven't seen the Grant Limited Editions except for cover copies available on the internet. But I am very pleased with my Viking books :) + the Hodder & Stoughton copies of Wolves and SoS ;)
  • I think it was only Wizard and Glass that didn't have all the artwork from the Grant edition. The Drawing of the Three is unique, too, in that it has the mostly unseen second edition artwork, previously only available in the DT1-3 boxed set.

The Viking cover art was done by the same person who did The Road to the Dark Tower.
  • Yes, Bev, you are right! I have checked (on thedarktower.net) and it seems that all the paintings in DT 1 - 3 is included. The DT 4 Viking edition is missing a few though (as you said), and still it says that it's the complete art work on the inside sleeve. Oh, well, I own the original Grant edition, so I'm a happy camper anyway! ;D

Still, I'm a bit disapointed because I believe that Phil Hale's original paintings looks better than the 2nd edition.
  • He was very young when he did those first illustrations. I don't recall the exact age at the moment, but I'm pretty sure he was still a teenager.
  • Jojje wrote: Still, I'm a bit disapointed because I believe that Phil Hale's original paintings looks better than the 2nd edition.

I like both sets, but I prefer the first edition ones, too.

I'm not sure why, but I think because a lot of the

illustrations have the sand-and-light blue tones of the

beach and sea. There's something I like about the

fifties-era-commercial quality of them, too.

BTW, you can get the first edition ones in any trade

PB edition of DTII, if you want them, Jojje.

HBJ
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

The Viking cover art was done by the same person who did The Road to the Dark Tower.

You can see the quality in the covers and an excellent cover TRttDT has :)

I think my favourite cover out of the Viking DT books has to be The Drawing of the Three (I love the black doors against the brightly lit sky) :)

and I really like The Wastelands cover with the black train and red eyes :)

Excellent visualist this artist is :)
  • I agree.

I wish the same artist could have done the covers for V, VI and VII.
  • Upcoming DT7 picture of the CK on the thrown of skulls is, in my humble opinion, the best illustration of any DT illustration! :)
  • I agree Bob that is an awesome piece of art!
  • I second that. Reminds me a lot of The Masque of the Red Death by Poe. :)
  • CRinVA wrote: Upcoming DT7 picture of the CK on the thrown of skulls is, in my humble opinion, the best illustration of any DT illustration!  :)

Hasn't seen that pic!!! :o omg, where is that pic? would love to see it :)
  • Dukky,

it's here, linked rather than inlined for the spoiler-averse:

http://www.liljas-library.com/images/dt7_ck.jpg

HBJ,

with thanks, as always, to Lilja's Library.
  • Hunchback Jack wrote: Dukky,

it's here, linked rather than inlined for the spoiler-averse:

http://www.liljas-library.com/images/dt7_ck.jpg

HBJ,

with thanks, as always, to Lilja's Library.

Thanks, HBJ :)

The pic is an awesome one :)
  • Welcome, matey!