Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

An advanced order besteller

Author: Bev Vincent

From Shocklines.com for last week:

Advance Order Books:

#1) Ray Garton's Bloodshot Eyeball Movie Reviews (with cover art by Caniglia)

#2) Species by Michael McBride

#3) The Road to the Dark Tower by Bev Vincent

Not bad since the book was only announced on Thursday!

Author: Blaine

Congratulations Bev! ;)

Author: DTUK

Well done :)

Bev doesn't need statistics though to know his work will be a winner :)

I bet it reaches number one ;)

Author: Lin242

I actually love being a part of your history Bev even in a tiny little way. :)

Someone asked me if I had ever written a letter to Stephen King considering all the years I've been loving his work. Let's see, I read Carrie in 1977, so ~0 many years ago :). I said no, I never had, probably never will. It's just not my thing. Now I can do it vicariously through these websites. So Bev, you'll probably never get a fan letter from me by snail mail, but I think you know by now I hold you in very high esteem. :)

Lin

Author: Rache4173

Ditto on almost every point, Lin... except the part about never writing to SK. I did write him when I was 10 or 11. I'd been reading him since I was 9 (1982), and was thoroughly hooked by that time - so my dad and I wrote him a letter. Nope, didn't receive a reply - but that's okay. I met him eventually and that replaced it. :D

I wrote a letter to King once, a long time ago...1989 to be exact.

I was about 16 and I sent him a story too. I recieved a card with a Constant Reader reply on it, and some cool photocopied stuff. I still have that reply to this day :) That letter helped me gain confidence to write to other writers and I got autographs, photo's and the like.

I have a big Dean Koontz photo he kindly sent me, saying: Wayne, see you on the next full moon...we'll have a bite together! Dean Koontz 3/20/94

I also got alot of cool writing stuff off him too and some personal answers to questions I asked him :)

I have several letters from James Herbert too :)

Peter James (this one was after I reviewed one of his books)

A signed photo of Stephen Coonts

and one of my absolute favourites...Clive Barker took some time out of his busy schedule and wrote me a reply to a letter I sent him back in 1994

I also have a letter from Larry Bond; and A. C. Crispin (she penned the “V” mini-series tie-in book.)

I reviewed a book for Peter Tremayne once and wrote him a letter and he not only wrote back but also included a paperback copy of a murder mystery series he was writing and autographed it too :)

Unfortunately, I have tried placing pics and the like on here using snapfish and not having much success, but if I could email them to someone here and they placed them on the board for all to see I would be happy to do so :)

And where does Bev fit in to all this...

Well, Bev alot of people I have contacted over the years, writers mostly, and you are the first one that I and am sure everyone else here has been able to speak directly too and get not just a reply but a well thought out one too ;) This place is really special and everyone I have met here is very friendly and we have alot of the same interests, but most of all Bev this thanks is to you for taking the time out of your busy life not just to talk to us all here, but also to show us the big world of publishing (from your perspective) and we can all watch on a day to day basis a dream of yours grow and develop till it's a book that will be a bestseller I am very sure, and you are letting us all share in this...so thanks :)

Comments

• Author: Bev Vincent

I'm glad y'all are enjoying our interaction here. I am as well. First and foremost, I'm a fan just like everyone else.

I wrote to King back in 1982, just before Different Seasons came out and I actually got a personal response back from him on a postcard that addressed my letter. That was terribly cool. I wrote again in 1984 to find out how to get this DARK TOWER book I found listed at the front of Pet Sematary. That time I got a form letter response, but signed by King and the letterhead was really cool, with a row of Victorian house facades across the top. You'll see a reproduction of that letter in The Road to the Dark Tower.

More and more, writers are finding the Internet a good way to commune with readers.

What awesome stories! :) I'm not sure why I never wrote a letter to all of the authors I have loved before (there's a song in there somewhere!), King, Koontz, Clark (Mary Higgins to be exact)... I have loved them all so much and they have brought so much to my life.

I find it kind of surreal to be not only speaking with so many King fans (and meeting them through our SKBB meetings), but the fact Bev that you are writing a book about my favourite books is over the top. Could I BE any more effusive in my praise??? :D

Who knows, maybe one day I'll write to Stephen and just say “hey thanks man, for everything.” :)

Lin :)

Author: Ratty

I spoke to a prince once, but never a King (@) :(

What was the conversation about, Ratty?

I saw Tony Blair once just after he became prime minister with my ex-gf in Durham Cathedral, she nearly got us both shot by his bodyguards...lol

I shook hands and chatted with Princess Diana -- she was so pretty, even moreso in person than in pictures or on TV.

If I could meet anyone now other than SK, one definite would have to be the Dalai Lama and just look into his eyes. That would be so special.

I always loved what Princess Diana did for people within her role as a member of the Royal Family.

Crack...

He thought it was illegal. Crack (craic in irish slang) means fun, or having a laugh. We were talking to him about the Duke of Edinburgh's award gold expedition and we told him it was good craic. He look really shocked and was about to tell us off when we reminded him what we were going on about.

Met John Major too... also confused him. :D He was visiting our workplace as we were the first in Northern Ireland to have a 'new' gas instalation and was viewing the factory. He got talking to a few of us and asked about certains machines, we told him the complete details of what the certain machine had and its purpose. He looked at us as if he was expecting more, then said, “That’s good. That’s really interesting.” Completing his sentence as he turn and walked away from us as fast as possible.

I know i have met a few more famous people, but no one really as important as Mr. King

I'm amazed at the number of people I've spoken to who have met Stephen King -- I don't think he's ever come close to Ottawa (that I know of). :) Maybe one day -- I keep thinking I should nominate him for an honourary degree here at my University. Then just maybe, I'd get to meet him. :)

Bev, you met Princess Diana -- where were you living then? I admired her so very much, I remember getting up early early at the cottage to watch her marry Prince Charles and she looked so young. Her sons and mine were the same age and I thought more than anything else her destiny was just to be an amazing mother to her sons. I can't believe it has been almost 7 years since she died. :(

Lin
  • Author: Bev Vincent

I was living in northern New Brunswick, where I grew up. They came to Dalhousie for a visit. I was working for the town newspaper at the time, but I didn't get a press pass. Those who did, didn't get very close to the royal couple. I was among the regular crowd and she came right up to us and I shook hands and said a couple of words and took a picture from about 10” from her! My mother also got to shake hands with Charles.

Lovely. The closest I ever got to the Royal Family (although they have visited Ottawa a number of times with our Parliament being situated here), was when I was 5, I lined up on the street and got a sucker for my efforts thrown from one of their calvalcade and again when I was about 20, they drove right by the building I was working in, so I got a very good look at the Queen and Prince Philip as they drove by, very slowly. :)

Lin

Ugly old buggers, aint they!

Author: Drumbo

#3) The Road to the Dark Tower by Bev Vincent

Oh communal one :D ... I seem to have lost my instructions on how to advance order my copy of The Road to the Dark Tower by Bev Vincent and bump you to #1! Could you be so gracious as to provide a lazy lurker like me with a convenient link that I can share with my friends and family? :?

Thank you!

J

Author: AuntyNay

Bev, I can't wait for your book.

Interesting stories everyone.

I always liked Princess Diana. Still hard to believe she is gone.

Drumbo: If you go to my Road web page you'll find links to the pages for Amazon (trade) and Cemetery Dance (limited). You can also go to www.shocklines.com and order it there.

Author: Drumbo

Exsellent! A resounding thank you! ;)

“... Now look at them yo-yo's, that's the way you do it:

You play the guitar on that MTV.

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it,

Money for nothin' and your chicks for free ...”
    :D

Author: Rache4173

Bev, I just went to CD's page and ordered the limited. That means that since it's only 4/27 ... I still get a trade copy too, right? :D

Yes, according to their web page that offer is good until this Friday, the 30th of April.
  • I've never written to a favorite author via snail mail, but my favorite writer, Michael Moorc0ck, actually has a Q+A section on his website where he chats with his readers much the way Bev does here.  And the man will answer almost anything.  I wish King had something like that, but the billions of hits would guarantee the website would be crashed within a couple of hours.   Moorcock isn't exactly a small-time author, in fact he's sold millions of books worldwide, has fan clubs and has won a number of awards, but he doesn't have the same massive fanbase here in the States that king does, so it is feasible for him to maintain a Q+A.
  • Moorthingy!

I e-mailed him several years ago to discuss multiverses when Crichton's Timelines came out and he responded promptly. Seemed like a congenial fellow.
  • He is an amazing person. I'm supposed to be working on the multiverse concordance at his site, kind of a DT concordance type of thing, but with a 4 month old, I haven't had much time. I really should get at that, maybe it could lead to my own book!!!
  • Congrats, man! You ARE the best! :)

rose