Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What I'm working on

edited August 2004 in Short Stories
I write pretty much every day, some days more than others. Often I'm doing several things at once. Here's what I'm working on right now:

1) Gearing up to do revisions on Missing Persons. I haven't actually started yet.

2) I finally finished a short story called "The Deer of St. Bart's." This is a strange one in that I've known the story for a long time--it's based on an anecdote told to me when I spent the summer at Oxford University in 1984. I've always known how it would come out, but I left it half-finished for a long, long time.

I found the most recent printout this weekend, along with some research pages for background material, so I decided to give it another go, and I finally got to the end. It's a fairly brief story, barely over 2000 words, but it took me a long time to get there.

Then, this morning in the shower, I came up with another paragraph that I need to add that casts more light on the protagonist. I think I'll send this one to Borderlands 6, though it's not really as edgy as most of their tales. We'll see.

3) An essay for a Modern Horror series. I started this on Sunday and wrote another 1000 words this morning. I'm almost done with it and hope to get it off by the end of the coming weekend.

4) I've got three chapters done on a new novel. When I was rereading and revising them this weekend, I realized that chapters 1, 2, 3 worked far better as chapters 3, 2, 1 and that parts of the old chapter 1 needed to be broken out and redistributed among the old chapters 2 and 3. So I've done that and I think I've got a good foundation for the book, establishing the three primary points of view.

5) I turned in seven book reviews a few days ago, which should hold me on reviews until sometime in November!

Comments

• Wow - you keep up a consistent amount of writing each day! You don't realize how inspirational these posts are!

Thanks.
  • I also just agreed to write a ~1000 word essay or the CD Weekly newsletter.
  • I wrote and delivered the essay yesterday. It was one of those things that I just wanted to get off my desk quickly. I'll let you know when it shows up in the CD newsletter.

I've been going great guns on my new ghost story novel. I want to get it to the point where I can write the synopsis and proposal and get it off to the publisher by the middle of next week. My wife and I are going on vacation next Thursday and I'd like to have it off my desk by then.
  • My wife and I are going on vacation next Thursday and I'd like to have it off my desk by then.

I need a vacation after reading everything you're working on! :) I hope you're doing something special. Love that you have the new date of release under your avatar. 8)

Lin
  • We're going on a 4-day cruise down to Cozumel, hope to get in a dive during our day in port, but otherwise just pamper ourselves aboard the ship.

Needless to say, I won't be around here at all over the Labor Day weekend!
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: We're going on a 4-day cruise down to Cozumel, hope to get in a dive during our day in port, but otherwise just pamper ourselves aboard the ship.

Needless to say, I won't be around here at all over the Labor Day weekend!

That sounds awesome, my son really enjoyed his Caribbean cruise last winter, in fact his day in Cozumel was the most memorable he said. :) Dive, eh? Gee Bev, after Diver Down, I don't know... ;)

Don't worry about a thing, we'll keep an eye on the place for you. Oh, and don't you mean "Labour Day"? 8)
  • I still say zed for the last letter of the alphabet, but I long ago gave up the u-battle since Word complains every time I spell things right. ;D

We've been to Cozumel before, so mostly we're looking forward to the dive and maybe a little time on shore. We remember what the city was like when a cruise ship docked! Inundated with tourists crowding the shops.
  • Oh, alright... considering you're providing us with much-anticipated reading material, I will let "Labor Day" go. :)

Brandon said the same about Cozumel, but he said the taxi ride in Belize he would rather just forget all together (remember Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone?)... ;)

Lin
  • We're going on a 4-day cruise down to Cozumel, hope to get in a dive during our day in port, but otherwise just pamper ourselves aboard the ship.
    ((pouts)) I wanna go. :'(
  • me too - me too!

but then Bev might think we're stalking him! what with himbecoming famous in the publishing community! ;D
  • Lin242 wrote:

Brandon said the same about Cozumel, but he said the taxi ride in Belize he would rather just forget all together (remember Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone?)... ;)

Lin

Heh -- my favorite part about Belize was landing on Ambergris Caye and only half the runway is paved. You taxi on gravel the rest of the way.
  • :) I've heard that runway story from friends of mine who have relocated to Belize. Fortunately Brandon went in on a smaller boat from the ship, only to be terrorized in a taxi. ;D The pictures were phenomenal though, the colours in the village areas made for some gorgeous photos.

Lin
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: I still say zed for the last letter of the alphabet, but I long ago gave up the u-battle since Word complains every time I spell things right.  ;D

Tell me about it, Bev!  ;)

I'm slowly dropping u's, replacing s's with z's, and started saying "zee" instead of "zed". I've been known to use both spellings of a word in the same mail message. In short, I annoy everyone.

Can't wait to hear more about the new novel as it progresses, Bev.

HBJ,

still cheering for Australia in the Olympics, tho.

Edit: corrected YABBC tags.
  • About a year after I moved to the U.S. I went on a business trip to McGill where the customer was someone I knew from my years at Dal. The first time I said "zee" he looked at me like I had turned traitor, so I've stuck to my guns on that one and proudly say zed.

s's and z's just confuse the hell out of me. I use whichever one the word processor likes best.

I'm cheering for the Iraqi soccer team, that's about all!
  • Sounds like a great line-up, Bev. Any thought of doing a thread on the new novel, the way you did on what I assume is now known as "Missing Persons"?

Blu
  • Perhaps later. This one is going to be a little different as I plan to work on it for a little while longer and then submit it as a proposal. I figure I'll have to wait a long time to hear back on that one, so it will go on the back burner while I get back to revising Missing Persons.