Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Old Gotham cafe news

Author: Bev Vincent

I can now add another title to my list of literary accomplishments: screenwriter.

I am the co-writer of the script for an upcoming dollar baby based on Lunch at the Gotham Cafe. We're calling it just Gotham Cafe to make it a little flashier. We got verbal confirmation of permission to adapt today and hope to have the contract in the next week or so.

At present, the cast is:

Steve: Ingo Rademacher

Diane: Julie Sands

Guy: Cullen Douglas

Humboldt: cast but not yet confirmed, so I'll leave this for now

Director: Peter Schink

Script: Bev Vincent, Julie Sands and Peter Schink

Jeff Okun (from The Last Samurai) is committed to helping with visual effects. Filming is scheduled for July 27-August 1st. I'll post some pictures later on.

This is a Turtle Bay production.

See the thread under Stephen King news for photos.

Author: CRinVA

very cool indeed - I just listened to this tale on audio a few days ago! EEEEEEEEEEEEE

The guy who is playing Guy looks very scarey in his audition photo. Very much how I picture Guy, which is a bit like Manuel in Fawlty Towers AFTER he's finally had enough of Cleese.

Author: Old Darth

Congrats Bev!

Author: Bill Gauthier

Congrats, Bev. I look forward to it.

Bill

Author: Ms. Lori

Oh, Bev, that's FANTASTIC! This is definitely your year, baby. More great things to come, I'm sure. Congratulations!

Comments

• Author: Jreitan47

Bev, this is going to rock, Congrats! So now you have one more reason to come to the SKEMERs con next year!

Author: Lin242

THAT is so cool Bev! :) Congrats.... Julie Sands is gorgeous!! I've seen Ingo before, wasn't he on a soap, or Baywatch or something??? Not that I'm admitting ever watching Baywatch, I didn't, but the name is familiar. :)

Lin

Ingo plays Jax on General Hospital. Julie had a part in K-PAX. Cullen was in Big Trouble, the movie based on Dave Barry's novel.

Ingo was recently voted best actor in Soap Opera Digest seven weeks in a row and will be on the Daytime Emmys.

Thanks, Bev -- isn't that strange, I saw K-PAX, and I don't remember her, but perhaps I'd recognize her right away. She's quite striking.

I'm afraid I've never read Dave Barry -- he is in RBR is that right? Would you recommend him?

Lin

Author: Old Darth

Looks like a great cast! Good luck to all involved.

Originally posted by Lin242

Thanks, Bev -- isn't that strange, I saw K-PAX, and I don't remember her, but perhaps I'd recognize her right away. She's quite striking.

I'm afraid I've never read Dave Barry -- he is in RBR is that right? Would you recommend him?

She was a ward patient. I think she also did an episode of Arli$$ a while back.

Dave Barry is an RBR and a weekly columnist with the Miami Herald. His two novels are wacky crime books, like Carl Hiassen only less serious. They're fun, but they rely on you appreciating Barry's sense of humor.

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

Dave Barry is an RBR and a weekly columnist with the Miami Herald. His two novels are wacky crime books, like Carl Hiassen only less serious. They're fun, but they rely on you appreciating Barry's sense of humor.

Now about this Carl Hiassen... :)... I'm sorry, I don't know who that is. Crime story novelists for me tend to be Ed McBain, Tami Hoag, Patricia Cornwell... that type of style... :)

Gee I feel so ignorant all of a sudden.

Lin :)

Hiassen is a Florida crime writer who has a funny sense of humor about his books but that's not their primary intent, whereas Barry is out for laughs and the mystery is just his way of delivering.

About my screenplay:

I was very conservative in my early drafts because we knew this was going to be low budget. I simplified a lot of things and condensed others to avoid the needs for sets for very brief scenes. However, once I turned it in finally, Julie and Peter ran with it and really beefed it up. They knew where they were going to be able to shoot and what they could get away with without breaking the bank. Peter also added some interesting flashback snippets that add a depth of characterization in a surreal “21 Grams” kind of way. I'm really looking forward to seeing this after visualizing it for so long. It's going to be cool.

And what do we know about Ed McBain :? He will be publishing an anthology that will include a new King story, just do not know when. I emailed McBain and he verified this and said to just watch his web page for further details.

Trivia Time: Linny, what is McBain's real name? No fair answering Bev - I am sure you know the answer, herr Triviameister extraordinairre!
  • Author: Lin242

Bev, that sounds very interesting. :) We just got Everything's Eventual back from a friend, so I guess I'll be reading at least one of those stories again. ;)

How long do you think it will be before you won't have time for your faithful travellers on the Road to the Dark Tower? ~_~

Bob, if you can give me tonight, I'll check. ;) I really don't know. I know that one of the books I got just last year had part of the book done by Ed McBain and the second part by his real name, I think... dammit....

Lin

Heh -- things have gotten very busy, but so far no threat of crowding the enjoyable parts out of my life!

McBain's alter ego wrote Blackboard Jungle. Candyland was the book he co-authored with himself, wasn't it? He reserves one name for genre work and the other for more literary endeavours.

:) It's nice to know that you think we are enjoyable. Ditto big-big.

Candyland sure sounds familiar Bev, I'll have to check tonight, or it will bug me. :) It was a good book.

Lin

Okay, so running out of the house this morning, I found my book -- it is Candyland, and the alter is Evan Hunter. I must read that again, it was good! BUT, I was in a hurry, is that HIS real name then???

Lin

Yep -- that's his real name.

Author: SKSM

another one... great... :)

Author: Lin's Steve

Great casting! Mr. “eeeeeeee” looks exactly like I pictured him. :)

This is all very exciting! :D

It is indeed, and there's more stuff going on behind the scenes that I can't talk about, including the possibility of some cool cameo performances. Not from people you might expect, though, so no guesses!

These little hints no longer surprise me Bev. I've come to expect them! :)

Bev, you'll have to once again forgive my ignorance, but how does one actually see these films?

Lin

They are only available at film festivals, unfortunately. They aren't intended for public distribution.

~_~ Our loss then.

Thanks, though.

Lin

Here's an interview with our director, Peter Schink.

Author: DTUK

Hmmm, missed this one to chat about too...wonder where I am at when these interesting topics appear, especially with Bev having a very active role in this production. I bet you are very excited, Bev :) Excellent news :)

From what I remember of the story, all characters seem very well chosen, and I agree with Lin, that it's a shame these won't be released on a general distibution.

I've put together a Gotham Cafe' web page

Author: SKSM

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

I've put together a Gotham Cafe' web page

great, just what i need... now only the movie and i'm a happy man :D

I've been reading Fangoria for two decades, at least. And now: there I am! And a mention tRttDT, to boot.

Author: Rache4173

WOOHOO! Go Bev! :D

Dennis Calero, professional illustrator for the likes of Marvel, DC, Sony and Simon and Schuster has joined the Turtle Bay team and will be wielding his pen to storyboard Gotham Cafe.