Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

HUGE SPOILER about ending

edited September 2004 in Dark Tower
*********don't read unless you have read it********

Ok I'm a person who likes to open presents early.

I read the ending before I read the entire book.

I will read it though.

Anyways, the ending reminds me a little of the ending of the Matrix with the loop theory. Much more awsome of course though.

So....our beloved characters aren't nessesarily gone then....it leaves the series open for much more, of course I doubt King would go there, but maybe. He is surprising sometimes.

**************END SPOILERS*********

Comments

• What do you mean he's surprising sometimes!?!

He seldom does what you expect--he does what he wants!

John
  • that is so true that he does what a wants. In some books I can kind of tell where he is going.

It is true that he stays true to himself rather than trying to please everyone (course thats impossible!)
  • I was tempted, oh so tempted to read the ending, but I stuck through it and read it from start to finish. ;D
  • I never even thought about skipping ahead. I can't remember the last time I've done that.
  • My private version of hell would be being pre-destined to ALWAYS read the ending first, over and over. :) Never once have I done it.

I can't wait to hear what you think about the rest. ;)

Lin
  • I just wonder why Sk gave away the ending in the Revised Gunslinger. Was he setting us up for the possiblity of the loop early so we would take it better at the end, or did he not realize that he telegraphed it? There were like 1999 loop theories on the tdt.net within days of the revised edition appearing.

I read on Stephen R Donaldson's website that he always thinks that he is telegraphing the ending of his "Man who..." novels, but isn't ever sure which clues readers will pick up on, so he just tries to be true to the story. Maybe SK did the same thing.
  • Maybe SK did the same thing.

I agree.

The only thing he could have done differently is to have released the revised Gunslinger after The Dark Tower 7 came out.
  • Iv only read the revised edition of the gunslinger. What is the difference between the revised and original book that gives away the ending? Looking back on the gunslinger, i still dont see how the loop ending was telegraphed? Maybe i just get to caught up in the story to see it.

thanks if u can explain it too me
  • In the revised Gunslinger SK added a scene or two where Roland feels Deja Vu, and the ending with Walter is changed, including where he tells Roland something to the effect that Roland has never understood before, etc.

I can see how those things might not stand out to someone who hadn't read the original, but they certainly did jump out as changes (at least to me).

Oh, also the subtitle "Resumption" was a pretty strong clue, as well.

(and, in the Concordinance (sp?), RF basically goes out of her way to mention the loop theory).
  • If you want to see all of the changes, check out

http://www.thedarktower.net/gunslinger/index.php
  • I have never even though about reading the end of a book before the beginning.