Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bev - Flagg Question

DemDem
edited October 2004 in Dark Tower
Bev - do you have any insight(s) as to how does Flagg know that Roland is resuming his quest in The Gunslinger?

If he has this type of knowledge why does he not manipulate other events to his advantage? The best example would be that of avoiding a face to face meeting with Mordred.

Comments

• Bev is Flagg!!!

:o

;D
  • Shhh...now I'm going to have to do something nasty to you, Dem....

I don't think I have an easy answer to your question, Lou. In some ways Flagg operates outside of time, but in others he's time-bound. The Crimson King tells him things, but perhaps only as much as he needs to know. Since Flagg's ultimate demise comes at the hands of the CK's son, perhaps CK conveniently neglects to tell Flagg that little detail.

In my books, Flagg is a major screw-up. Just about everything he attempted to do, he failed at. He wrought a lot of havoc along the way, but he never quite got the brass ring. He's another tool of the CK who serves a purpose but destined to be consumed in the process.

I like Dem's notion that Flagg knows because he read DT1-4.
  • In my books, Flagg is a major screw-up. Just about everything he attempted to do, he failed at. He wrought a lot of havoc along the way, but he never quite got the brass ring.
    :D

In retrospect that statement really rings true. His reputation exceeds his accomplishments. That's maybe why his quick demise in DT7 angered/disappointed fans.

He is like King's version of Boba Fett - ends up being someone else's meal.
  • There's another theory I've heard that I like that goes like this:

Roland was fated to face and defeat the Ageless Stranger, which seemed to imply that he was going to go head-to-head with Flagg/Walter. Since this didn't happen, I speculated in my book that this was another indicator that Roland didn't have it quite right on this iteration. However, someone said that Mordred abosorbed all of Flagg's essence and experience, so in battling and defeating Mordred he actually does face the Ageless Stranger.
  • I feel he more likely just gains all Flagg's memories but not all his abilities.
  • I like the "Mordred is the Ageless Stranger because he ate the Ageless Stranger" theory, and I also like to think that maybe it was Dandelo whom Roland was actually warned of. Perhaps Dandelo is yet another facet of the demon called "Legion".
  • Yeah good ole Legion got lost in the shuffle . :-/

What was the final verdict on who or what they was ?

• Legion is a group of demons. Flagg, Munshun, Linoge, etc. It is a name for one of many.
  • I would like to know why sometimes we are told Flagg is Farson (Marten, known in some quarters as the Good man) and sometimes that Flagg worked for Farson (Flagg's own thoughts "The Shining Wire").

One of the CK's men alluded to Roland's mother having an affair with Farson, another clear allusion to Marten = Farson = Flagg.

So how is it that he is both Farson and not Farson?

???
  • I think that sometimes Flagg takes control of some people that it's almost impossible to tell when it's really him and when it's just someone he's manipulating totally.
  • I have a theory regarding The Ageless Stranger that Roland was supposed to slay as foretold by Walter in his tarot card but I need to be sure of certain facts involving the thirteen Wizard's Glass. I don't have the previous books at hand right now (especially Book 4) so anyone with the books, can you help me out here?

I need to ascertain whether these thirteen glass balls including Black Thirteen has anything to do with Maerlyn because I kind of recall, if memory serves, that they were also called Maerlyn's Rainbow and that Maerlyn imbued some essence of himself into the glass balls. Anyone? And please, only sure facts read from the books. Thanks :)
  • Anybody? ???
  • Without a re-read, I wouldn't know where to begin looking - sorry, matey.
  • I thought Mordered was way too easy to beat and the same with the Crimson King. I mean Blane was harder to beat than him and he was neither human or magic.

I dont know I just expected more of a fight than what Mordered put out. All that build up of him following and eating for one shot one kill.
  • I have an essay coming out in Lighthouse 4 where I talk about Roland's enemies and why they were so easy to defeat. My opinion is that none of these were Roland's primary adversary. Mordred was Roland-to-the-extreme, single-minded of purpose and unwavering. If he'd been able to give up his goal, he might have survived and defeated Roland, but he couldn't so he failed. An object lesson for Roland.
  • Bev -

How can we get hold of this issue when it comes out?

Blu
  • Blu,

I went Here and ordered this issue! :)
  • I love the Boba Fett reference. Critical character to the story then taken out by one shot.

Also nice concept of legion being many demons at once is intriguing- maybe only the Flagg part of Legion was destroyed and the Linoge, Marten, Farson, walking dude, munshun, etc., is still living in the many worlds spinning about the axis of the tower. Sure does bring in the twinner - territory thing into a more important light.
  • You know, I like it when a villain gets taken down relatively easily. I hate stories where the villain takes hit after hit after hit and keeps on going. The Jason syndrome. He must be dead by now--oh, no, he's back, and barely limping. Villains are human, fallible, vulnerable. They make mistakes and suffer ill consequences from their mistakes--sometimes fatal consequences.
  • I like that perspective if Flagg's downfall. It reminded me how much I hated in movies when the hero of the sotry was supposed to be this super hero guy and he spends most of the time getting beated up except for the last second of the movie (for references see any John Claude VanDam movie).

That does make it sit a little easier on how Flagg died.
  • My 2 cents!... Boba Fett didn't really die in that pit... He eventually blasted himself out... NARRRRR!!!!

:D