Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

General thoughts, q's, comments...

edited October 2004 in Dark Tower
I really liked the novel, ending included. I just have a few things to say like everyone else.

1.Would the tower be the same for everyone that entered it? It seemed pretty tailor made for Roland. In that case, the tower is for Roland and Roland only. What would even happen if some one else managed to open the door at the top of the tower?

2. A note on a future territories novel: I thought I read somewhere that there is going to be a third book, that Stephen and Peter had the basc idea, and that it was just a matter of writing it now. Is this true?

3.I found the showdown with Ck to be anti-climatic. I didn't like the idea of Ck being an actual physical being. I always pictured Ck to be this intangible, etheral being. I pictured he and Roland duking it out in some mental battle of wills.

I have to say that this is the best message board that I have ever tried. No pointless arguments, everyone respects eachothers thoughts, lot's of good insight.

Comments

• I have to say that this is the best message board that I have ever tried. No pointless arguments, everyone respects eachothers thoughts, lot's of good insight.

Glad to see you here...like your handle, too. We're a nice, cozy little family with nary a sqaubble.

I think the Tower has two simultaneous representations -- it is both symbolic of all existence and of existence for the individual. Global and personal. The books imply that only Roland or someone of the line of Eld could enter the Tower, so it may be that no one else could get in. However, I have a feeling that there's a Tower for everyone and that only they could access their own.

Peter and Steve have a vague intent to write a third Territories novel, but if or when that happens is up to the fates. It took them 15 years to get around to doing the first follow up.
  • SK mentioned in an old interview that I read somewhere that everyone had a tower, and he had figured out what Roland's was.  Turns out, Roland's Tower was just that, a big Tower.  He has no imagination.

• skttrbrain wrote: I really liked the novel, ending included. I just have a few things to say like everyone else.

1.Would the tower be the same for everyone that entered it? It seemed pretty tailor made for Roland. In that case, the tower is for Roland and Roland only. What would even happen if some one else managed to open the door at the top of the tower?

2. A note on a future territories novel: I thought I read somewhere that there is going to be a third book, that Stephen and Peter had the basc idea, and that it was just a matter of writing it now. Is this true?

3.I found the showdown with Ck to be anti-climatic. I didn't like the idea of Ck being an actual physical being. I always pictured Ck to be this intangible, etheral being. I pictured he and Roland duking it out in some mental battle of wills.

I have to say that this is the best message board that I have ever tried. No pointless arguments, everyone respects eachothers thoughts, lot's of good insight.

Hey sktrrbrain and welcome! I was very intrigued to read your thoughts, because I interpret some similar thoughts in my review, specifically the following:

So.... at the end of this journey, for me anyways, the Dark Tower is not a tangible structure, but simply Roland's "Judgement Day" where he is told whether he has fulfilled his destiny (or Ka). If he has not, he is doomed to repeat it as was somewhat foretold by Vannay. (Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905 US (Spanish-born) philosopher (1863 - 1952)) To me, the Crimson King is Roland's alter-ego of sorts, ever watchful of his path, hoping he will f***-up along the way, eyes ever-watchful.

I was happy to see I wasn't the only one that didn't interpret the CK (necessarily) as a physical presence. :)

Oh, and this is a great place - Bev is the ultimate host and harbinger of fair play, not to mention he is always so generous with his time and knowledge. We love him.

Lin
  • Dem wrote: SK mentioned in an old interview that I read somewhere that everyone had a tower, and he had figured out what Roland's was.  Turns out, Roland's Tower was just that, a big Tower.  He has no imagination.

Just a quick thought here regarding this: but perhaps that is Roland's problem - that of having no imagination, and it may be that is why his quest began and the "drawing's", specifically events to help him grow spiritually and ascend to the next level of ka, because he is a creation of the prim and maybe he needs a helping hand in the people he meets and the decisions he makes to help himself open up his mind to the wonders of an imagination.

Dem...and Sktrrbrain, you guys bring up alot of interesting things to think about :)

One could then go on to say that maybe nothing was ever under threat inside Roland's world, but Roland himself, and the Tower was a metaphor for an important part of Roland that has gone on neglected for a very long time.

As mentioned before, if the Dark Tower is different for everyone, then so is the cause and effect and the journey...kinda like a dreamworld really.

A surreal one ;)
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

Glad to see you here...like your handle, too. We're a nice, cozy little family with nary a sqaubble.

I think the Tower has two simultaneous representations -- it is both symbolic of all existence and of existence for the individual. Global and personal. The books imply that only Roland or someone of the line of Eld could enter the Tower, so it may be that no one else could get in. However, I have a feeling that there's a Tower for everyone and that only they could access their own.

Peter and Steve have a vague intent to write a third Territories novel, but if or when that happens is up to the fates. It took them 15 years to get around to doing the first follow up.

Which would make this karmic spiral of a quest Roland's own. The global representation of the Tower is the one that he arrived at the very first quest (which would possibly be across countless others before SK's chronicle of his journey in this one) and once he entered and climbed to the top all subsequent loops (or spirals) are his personal struggle to be at peace with his own karma.

Could this be possible??
  • Very, probable, yes sunny.
  • Anyone else wondering about the 'thirty years worth of work' that the Tet Corporation still had left to go?

After that statement, the topic was dropped and Roland went back to Fedic.

As I was reading it, I thought it was regarding the ultimate take over of Positronics. However, if that was the Keystone world, perhaps the Tet Corporation is waiting for Roland to return through his (possibly) final cycle?
  • Zoltan - a good thought there.

It makes me wonder if somehow the Tet Corporation is connected with Roland's ascension to whatever level of the Tower he needs to achieve next.