Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Does Roland live on discworld?

edited October 2004 in Dark Tower
I've been trying to wrap my brain around the geography of Roland's world lately. I don't mean the "north is sometimes south" stuff, but the actual physical layout of All-world. First of all, the place is huge and seems to go on just about forever. I can say for sure it is not a ringworld or a dyson sphere. A discworld is the only thing that makes sense, and there is very little evidence for that:

In book 1, Roland asks Kennerly what is beyond the ocean and Kennerly answers: " That there ain’t nothing but lights that’ll drive a man blind and the face of God with his mouth open to eat them up."

Book 5 hints at the discworld again- the Callas stretch in an arc thousands of miles long. Mayhap the Callas form a ring around End-world?

SK writes in the Coda to book 6 that he imagines a world that sits on the back of a turtle, with beams holding it in place. He also adds the bit about the woman who tells the scientists that the earth sits on the a turtle and that it is "turtles all the way down".

The alternative to this hypothesis, one I actually like better, is that Roland's world doesn't really have a "shape" like our world. It is a heap of broken images from SK's mind. Certainly, Eddie remarks that being in Roland's world feels "thin", and there is a dreamlike quality to their travels- direction is in constant flux and things just keep appearing (like the green fields of mid-world, which appear after Roland has been wandering in the wastelands for ages, and the storybook Callas, after the ka-tet has been wandering empty fields). The best example of this is End-world though- there are streets lifted right out of small town USA, broken down storybook castles, and Lovecraftian beasties.

So what do you guys think:

Discworld

or

Dreamworld

Comments

• I just took Roland's world(s) to be one of shifting realities due to such things as thinnys. The size issue seems to be related to drifting from one world to the next.

I never got the sense of scale needed for a Dyson's Sphere or Niven's Ringworld.
  • I had thought of it as a discworld for a long time, but the dreamworld idea is nice.

I like it.
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: I just took Roland's world(s) to be one of shifting realities due to such things as thinnys.  The size issue seems to be related to drifting from one world to the next.

I never got the sense of scale needed for a Dyson's Sphere or Niven's Ringworld.

I like your theory too, and it is one that I've considered- Roland's journey encompasses worlds. And that is true of course. We know he travels between his world and the various versions of ours.

But as far as All-world (in-world, out-world, mid-world, end-world, and maybe something called "on-world") goes, I get the idea that this is all one world. Various names, phrases and customs are known from Out-world to End-world. The phases of the moon have the same names. The 12 mono lines that run through All-world terminate in the Thunderclap. The guardians of the beam appear as totems in Calla Bryn Sturges, Lud and Hambry. Remnants of Positronics junk litter the landscape from one end to the other. Characters from Hambry show up in Tull.

The beam breaking down could cause it to grow and stretch and of course create slippage between All-world and other worlds, but even in a state where the beams are restored, I have a hard time picturing All-world as a globe, like our Earth. The only thing that makes sense to me is a discworld.

or alternatively, a world without any structure at all- just a jumble of images strewn about in the vast wastelands of Roland's mind.
  • Likes the Dreamworld idea :)
  • This thread has been dead for a week, but I just finished the book last night and am now trying to make it through all of the threads.

That said, would someone mind explaining to me what a discworld is? (Or a "ringworld or a dyson sphere," for that matter.)
  • I can answer the discworld to you as my friend reads the books - they are about a discworld that lives on top of a turtle that floats through space I think, and they are written by a man named Terry Pratchett.

Very funny books, apparantly.

• From the DT.net messageboard...
  • DTUK wrote: I can answer the discworld to you as my friend reads the books - they are about a discworld that lives on top of a turtle that floats through space I think, and they are written by a man named Terry Pratchett.
    I guess my question was more along the lines of "how would you explain a discworld," or the other two things. Like, what are the properties/elements of it? What makes one of them be the specific type of world that it is, and/or what is it about them that makes you guys think Roland could be living on one particular type, but not the others.

These are genuine questions of mine—I'm not just trying to make people justify their thoughts for the fun of it. I don't read a lot of science fiction/fantasy, and these aren't terms I've encountered before.
  • A flat, round world is what a disc world would be. SK mentioned in the coda to DT6 that he pictured a world on the back of a turtle (with beam generators on its shell), hence the disc world map I just posted.
  • Here you go sheepish!

Dyson's Sphere A ball around a sun.

Ringworld A ring around a sun.

Both would be artificial constructs and have much more surface area than a traditional or natural planet like earth.

...from an old SF junkie

BTW Ringworld is an excellent book - in a series of books.
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: Here you go sheepish!

Dyson's Sphere  A ball around a sun.

Ringworld A ring around a sun.

Both would be artificial constructs and have much more surface area than a traditional or natural planet like earth.

Thanks, Lou. I think I'm starting to get a grasp on all of it :)

Another question: If Roland's world is a discworld, how does that affect other worlds at other parts/levels of the tower, like those that Susannah, Jake, and Eddie come from? Since they're all from what are essentially versions of Earth, I'd assume that they at least *think* they come from a spherical planet.