Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Week 3

Author: Bev Vincent

As Roland Deschain would say, I'm reaching the beginning of the end...or is it the end of the beginning?

I spent the entire weekend with the word processor closed down, devoting myself to the printed pages themselves. I've got a tablet of paper beside me where I've amassed a random collection of notes pertaining to things I want to make sure are covered in the book and as I read, edit and modify, I find appropriate places to inject the commentary and cross it from the list. I made very good progress over the weekend, getting through four chapters covering the first four DT books.

I've also almost decided to change the order of the chapters and push the seven chapters about the individual books up front further and the character study and two other “critical” chapters to the back. It seems to make more sense to me that way and I like the way chapter 12 would end if I do that. Of course, my editor may have other ideas. We'll see!

I thought I would end up changing a lot on my reread when in fact I find that I'm adding “illumination” but not changing so much. Moving some paragraphs around, or the order of sentences within paragraphs, catching typos and deleting some commentary that is either duplicated or now seems unnecessary. If you looked at the manuscript, you'd probably think I changed a LOT, and maybe I have, but not as much as I anticipated before I started out on this massive editing session. My hope is to be done marking up the remaining four chapters by the end of the week and spend the upcoming long weekend in an intensive data entry session implementing my changes into the document. Print it out again, write the final chapter, let it sit for a week or so, run through it one more time and...submit! Like the button down here...

Author: DTUK

Sounds like everything is going swimmingly, Bev :)

An idea ;) - instead of publisher's humming and ahhing over things as they do and then saying nope, nope and a definete nope on that one, matey! Why don't we just get rid of them all and then you write your book without any limitations whatsoever exactly as you would want it to be then it ends up on our shelves and everyone is happy :)

I'd be fascinated to learn how a publisher's mind works...am serious here, because you have a publisher that "advises" you on how to do things to make your book marketable. But who is the market for?...DT fans old and new at the end of the day and we don't care how long it is :D

I think your publisher should have a Q & A section with the DT fans, and then he/she keeps their job depending if we think they are giving you a fair break :)

How's that sound? ;)

lol

Heh -- I'll run that one past them to see what they think about it.

I've got no complaints at all about my publisher -- they're the ones who know the business. None of us wants to see this book hit the shelves...and stay there...and stay there...and stay there... ~z~

Comments

• Author: kinbote

I'm new here, and I don't want to step on toes in my first post, but I thought I would butt in. This is in response to DTUK wondering about the mind of a publisher. I am a production editor for a small press. My job is to take an author's book, read through it looking for typos, grammar problems, and inconsistencies. I also read for content, in order to try to minimize the possibility that the author contradicts himself or herself at some point over facts/storyline/etc. I don't try to alter the author's voice, because who wants to read a cookie-cutter narrative? An editor is someone who tries to take an author's hard work and make it *better* -- not because the author can't do it on his or her own, but because the author of a book can never be as objective as someone who is reading it for the first time, noticing a bit of a problem here or a section that could use a little fleshing out there. Editors want the books to be the best they can be, so they will sell a million copies! Publishers, on the other hand, usually are the folks at the top of the food chain in a publishing company who don't even read the final product. They usually review proposals and give the thumbs up or thumbs down. Then they wait for the rest of the production areas to do the work!!! Alas, I can't speak for all publishing companies, but I know we do not cut large sections of a book out unless it is pure drivel or doesn't make any sense or repeats ideas exactly from other places in the book. Likewise, regarding who a book is marketed toward, if we know a book is for a certain audience, we send it to the editor with the most experience in that area. If there is no one with a lot of experience, we learn it as we go, doing research, trying to become as informed as possible in the process. It sounds as if Mr. Vincent has a good publisher who respects his opinions, especially if he expresses them strongly enough (which is often the key to keeping something in a book--being persistent and convincing that you indeed know what you are doing). Mr. Vincent, I am delighted to be able to post to you online--I've been waiting with the rest of the DT fans for these new books. I am terribly jealous that you've already gotten to read them!!! ;) And I don't believe your books will gather dust on the shelves -- our company would poop the bed if we had as great an idea as yours cross our desks! I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading more of your blog. :)

Hi Kinbote :)

Ty for explaining what an editor, does. I have more insight now and you have been very helpful, ty :)

The only reason I brought the editing thing up was because of King's release of the Stand which was shortened dramatically because they couldn't market the book in it's full length because the price would have broke the bank to release it at; Which was a great shame because it took until 1990 for the prominence of King and perhaps the markets too to be able to issue a novel of such length.

Saying that the editor of King's Green Mile serial production should be congratulated for taking a risk and the risk worked phenomenally and now we have a great serialisation, a great one piece book and a superb movie.

Kinbote: thanks for your informative post. Especially in these difficult fiscal times, publishers aren't willing to take huge risks. King is a guaranteed seller, no matter what he publishes. Books about King or his work, on the other hand, appeal to a much smaller fraction of the book-buying audience, so my editor doesn't want the book to look too daunting on the shelf. Many Dark Tower fans will buy it, but they want to encourage at least some more casual readers to pick it up, too. If it looks dense and academic then that's less likely. I want to cram as much as possible into it, but I want it to be fun reading, too.

I can be really productive when I set my mind to it! I got through the Wolves of the Calla chapter last night and the Song of Susannah chapter this morning. Well, almost. I think I still have five pages of the Susannah chapter to go over, but I'm really close. Tonight I tackle The Dark Tower chapter, which I hope to have finished by the end of tomorrow. That leaves only the Related Works chapter and then the conclusion chapter to write.

I'm really on track here. I'll read over the ARC of Wolves of the Calla for any changes and to check my quotes for accuracy, then let the MS vegetate for a long weekend while I go to NECON in mid-July, read the whole blasted thing over one more time and then get it in the mail by month's end.

Then the fun begins, the part I have no experience with, which I'm sure I'll write about in excruciating detail -- the process. Working with the editor and, ultimately the publicity and marketing groups. Fun, fun, fun!
  • Author: Nytrydr

Best of luck once you've handed over your baby, Bev! I can't imagine submitting all that work to the yea or nay of another person, one who possibly has no clue on the subject matter. Or do they?

At any rate, I know I'll buy it!

Is buying it too - so that's two guaranteed sales :)

And good luck with publisher's :)

My editor has worked with the first four Dark Tower books, so he's not clueless on the matter. He hasn't read the final books, though. I'm trying to get him a review copy of DT5 so at least he'll be that far along by the time he reads my book.

Part of the writing biz is admitting that you can get too close to your work and someone else has a more objective view. You have to swallow your pride and listen to their opinions -- and be prepared to fight for something you truly believe in.

Two sales! Bestseller list here I come! Make sure you two both buy it on the same day so they'll register on my Amazon sales rating! ;)

Last night was a lot more productive than I expected. I was buffeted by euphoria over the Borderlands 5 sale, but I finally got down to work about 7 p.m. and got 2/3 of the way through the The Dark Tower chapter and I finished revising it this morning and got about 1/6 of the way into the Other Works chapter. If all goes well, I might finish that one tonight, which leaves just the Appendices to go over and then I'm ready to go back to the keyboard and implement all these changes.

Just let us know the release date or pre-order date for Amazon orders, and I bet the fans will do the rest ;)

Release date for now is November 1, 2004, but that's subject to change. Preorders are still a way off, maybe this time next year, or a little after.

Author: AuntyNay

Bev, You know I like hearing all about your writing process. You know I will buy your book when it comes out. How could I pass up a book about the Tower. And by someone I met on the Mile.

Good luck to you and I hope everything goes as planned.

Nay

Thanks, 'Nay.

I got through to the end of my manuscript last night, so I took this morning off. Well, there's another reason for that. My daughter was going away for the weekend with some friends and they left at 4 a.m. which means I had to get up at 3:40 a.m. until after they picked her up at 4:15. That helped me decide to take the morning off! I'm looking forward to an intensive three-day session this coming weekend to whip this puppy into shape.

I was interviewed for the local newspaper and it just ran today. No on-line link to it, not yet at least, but I was pretty pleased with the way it came out. Good practice for the future. I see now that there's a chance that absolutely anything you say might end up in print!

Author: Jreitan47

I'm looking forward to reading your interview, Bev! Although I hate interviewing people, I wish I could interview you for the paper I work for. Just not sure that a Texas author and expert on King and the Dark Tower are item's of great interest to the citizens of Woodburn, Oregon.

I hope you are all enjoying this nice weekend, a long weekend here in the US of A. My wife and I camped in yesterday and did a lot of work. I entered changes on the first half of the book, more than I expected to get done. I'm hoping I'll finish today, but if not, I'll have the changes all in by tomorrow at the latest. Then it's time to tackle the conclusion section and then I'll put it aside for a week or so and take one last pass through it before sending it out.

Author: Starr_R

Make sure you two both buy it on the same day so they'll register on my Amazon sales rating!

Hear that, guys? We all have to get together and decide which day to buy Bev's book, all on the same day! Nothing like having friends, eh?

Welcome, kinbote, and thanks for the interesting info!
  • Author: kinbote

I'll preorder my copy on Amazon with the rest of you -- let me know the date and we'll get that baby up on the top of the list. I have four or five friends interested in it too -- I think Bev will be surprised (in a good way!) with his sales on this book. I just have this feeling (@) that it's going to do very well! I have been looking for a book of this kind for a long time--I just know (with these boards as proof) that I'm not the only Dark Tower geek willing to fork over hard cash for a good book about King's magnum opus.

Bev, may I send my copy (eventually) to you to be signed? I have one other author-signed work, but it's by T.C. Boyle, and he stinks, so that doesn't really count. ;)

Kin: When my book comes out, I'll set up a P.O. Box for people to send me copies to be signed.

I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised!

Author: Brautigan

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

Kin: When my book comes out, I'll set up a P.O. Box for people to send me copies to be signed.

I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised!

Cool, I'll definitely pre-order as soon as it's available and would love for you to sign it. Thanks for offering!!

#)

Author: Opie-Mon

I'll second that, it'll be way cool (sorry Steve) to have a book signed by you. :)

Mon

Author: Drumbo

A signed First Edition of Bev Vincent's first Bestseller? Yep, that's a KEEPER! ;)