Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

This Sums Up DT7 For Me

edited October 2004 in Dark Tower
All these interesting discussions and different reactions be it positive or negative regarding DT7 and the DT series as a whole reminded me of a paragraph or two from the Introduction to the Reissue Edition of Orson Scott Card's Science Fiction Classic 'Ender's Game'. The introduction is by the author himself and the following deals with the subject of how 'Ender's Game' have been perceived and read differently by different readers with different backgrounds and characteristics.

From the Introduction of 'Ender's Game' :

"All these (different) uses are valid; all these (different) readings of the book are "correct." For all these readers have placed themselves inside this story, not as spectators, but as participants, and so have looked at the world (of the story) not with my eyes only, but also with their own.

This is the essence of the transaction between storyteller and audience. The "true" story is not the one that exists in my mind; it is certainly not the written words on the bound paper that you hold in your hands. The story in my mind is nothing more but a hope; the text of the story is the tool I created in order to try to make that hope a reality. The story itself, the true story, is the one that the audience members create in their minds, guided and shaped by my text, but then transformed, elucidated, expanded, edited and clarified by their own experience, their own desires, their own hopes and fears."

This I think also sums up what we are doing here discussing DT7 and to a certain extent, the DT series. It makes me so happy, that no matter what, SK has succeeded in setting out to do what most writers/storytellers always aim for when they sit down to write a story. It is the tale after all, not he who tells it. :-)

Comments

• I couldn't agree more with everything you have just said, sunny :)