Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Gunslinger question

edited October 2004 in Dark Tower
Please don't throw your books at me in case I should know, but how can I tell which version I have?

Comments

• If it has an introduction and a foreward, it's the new one. If it has an author's note at the end, it's the original.

The copyright page should also tell you. The cover will say Revised and Expanded, too, for the 2003 version.
  • Thanks, I'll have to dig it out and look. If I do have the original, should I get the revised as well?
  • I think the new introduction is worth the price alone. Some things are clarified, and the continuity of the last three books is based on his changes to book one.
  • Having read both versions of The Gunslinger - my favourite is the revised edition (2003).

The original always seemed empty to me with pieces missing (especially tied in with the other books) - so I prefer the revised version for it's more complete nature.

But giving credit where it was due...if I hadn't have read the original Gunslinger and enjoyed it, I never would have read the other's and missed out on a great adventure.

So credit for that :)
  • Bev,

A question.

If you have to pick... let me rephrase that; you must pick between the Original Gunslinger or the Revised Gunslinger, which would you prefer??
  • So the revised ed. came out in 2003? Well that answers my question then, my copy is from '88.

Time to buy another book.
  • I've read the original version so many times that it will probably always be what comes to mind for me when I think of that book. I don't consider the changes to the revised version to be very substantial, even though they are throughout.
  • Considering the current price of the original, I'll keep my first edition.