Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

November '04

I just had my first contact with Luitingh ~ Sijthoff, the publisher of the Dutch edition of ROAD. An editorial assistant asked for an author photo for the publicity catalogs. I'm not sure of their publication date yet, but at least things are moving along in that direction.

Comments

• The book will be published in Holland in April 2005. I expect to see their cover fairly soon. How exciting!
  • How many countries have shown an interest in RttDT, Bev?
  • I'm not sure yet. Two have purchased the rights. Others are more conservative and wait to see how a book sells in America before deciding whether to acquire it or not. My foreign rights agent is still working on it.
  • Well, with lots of feedback coming in from America and Canada about your book, Bev, one can expect sales to dramatically rise when the "conservative's" take the money out of their pocket's and place a substantial amount in your's :)
  • Another foreign publisher made an offer to translate ROAD today. I won't say anything more about who or where it is until I sign the contract, but that makes three languages!
  • Congrats! You should get up to at least 19...
  • The Japanese company that owns the company I work for is featuring me in their December newsletter. The editor asked me to write up something, which he is translating into Japanese. Along the way, we've come across some idioms that I had to explain so he could come up with something similar. One that I found interesting -- he told me that a person who has two occupations like I do is said in Japanese "To put on two pair of straw sandals at the same time ."

Nisoku no waraji o haku.
  • :) You're a regular UN rep these days Bev. You should be okay because I haven't heard anything about straw breaking sandals. ;)

Lin :)
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: The Japanese company that owns the company I work for is featuring me in their December newsletter. The editor asked me to write up something, which he is translating into Japanese. Along the way, we've come across some idioms that I had to explain so he could come up with something similar. One that I found interesting -- he told me that a person who has two occupations like I do is said in Japanese "To put on two pair of straw sandals at the same time ."

Nisoku no waraji o haku.

An interesting proverb.
  • Hey Bev,

Have you received the books from CD that you are personalizing? I am anxiously awaiting my copy - that and the S/L of course! ;D
  • Not yet. I'm planning to fly up to the CD offices once the pages and remaining trade paperbacks are ready and do them all in one fell swoop, along with the trivia books. Be on the lookout for the cool cover art of the trivia book to be released in the next day or two.
  • OK thanks!
  • This is gonna be so exciting :)
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Not yet. I'm planning to fly up to the CD offices once the pages and remaining trade paperbacks are ready and do them all in one fell swoop, along with the trivia books. Be on the lookout for the cool cover art of the trivia book to be released in the next day or two.

Bev: just received the CD newsletter, and the covers are fantastic!! A magnificent accomplishment! :) Thanks to all concerned in the making of this trivia book :)
  • I got this from my publicist. I'm still catching up from a week away from the web, so I haven't dug up anything more about this yet, but here ya go:

I wanted you to know that Oregon Public Broadcasting's "Golden Hours" has received a copy of "The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus" by Bev Vincent.

We plan to include this title on an upcoming Literature & Entertainment preview show during December 2004/January 2005. Our volunteer will read 5 -- 10 minutes from the book itself, as well as the promotional material you were kind enough to send. The author's participation is not required in this format.

Regrettably, OPB's "Golden Hours" cannot provide you with exact dates and times of these Internet broadcasts which can air multiple times during various dayparts. We also do cover-to-cover readings of many books received here; other volunteers handle this function. All books you send are fully considered by myself and other volunteers.

For your information, "Golden Hours" is a 24/7 English-language audio broadcasting service. It is heard locally in Oregon and southern Washington through the auspices of KOPB-TV (Channel 10) as an SAP (Secondary Audio Programming) feature by way of the listener's TV set.

"Golden Hours" is also streamed on the Internet. To hear sample programming on the Internet, go to http://www.opb.org/streaming . In the BOTTOM BOX, choose one of the two media players. Either one should connect you to the Internet feed of "Golden Hours." Our primary available audience is estimated at 80,000 to 100,000 persons in both Oregon and southern Washington.

In peace,

Ellen

--

Ellen Kimball Pollens

Host/Producer

"Golden Hours"

Oregon Public Broadcasting

• Bev,

Do you get any kind of feedback on how well tRttDT is selling so far?

Bob
  • Not yet. Probably sometime early next year. I don't really know how that information comes out yet.
  • Bev, congratulations on the "Golden Hours" - that sounds really good publicity :)