Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Cover art

Author: Bev Vincent

Sorry to tease you -- not yet! I could post the preliminary version but I prefer to wait for the finalized version, which should be ready next week. Patience -- I'll reward you with a bit of entertainment when it comes out...

Author: DTUK

Is the cover looking how you would like it to be, Bev? Where you asked for any input?

Author: CRinVA

You're not “really” sorry! ~0 Now are you!

You like to string us along! It gives you great pleasure - right! :D

It's knowing a secret - and knowing that you're gonna tell - but also knowing that you can pick the time and place to tell! It's like having your hand on the trap door lever and watching someone walk across the trap door and deciding whether or not to pull the lever! It's your cynical side - it comes out on the message board once every few weeks!

Not that I mind :D It also builds suspense!

Doesn't think he's sorry either :D

He's like a fisherman dangling the bait before the poor little fishies...(see Finding Nemo for intelligent fishies... :)

Then their little tummies get all hungry and everything and they swam very fast towards the bait then it pops out of the water and when they look up they see Bev grinning down at them like so ------> :D

And they go !@#$ (and if we can be fish - I want to be Dory the forgetful fishy: )

Well this year I am the “epitome” of waiting for stuff :~ (not voluntarily I assure you but there you go) waiting for items to be published and released on Amazon, and so can wait for the cover art too to be released.

I can talk the talk...but has a limp when it comes to walking the walk... lol

Author: newinside

I think that if I was in Bev's position I would have as much fun with it as possible. I don't blame him a bit.

Of course, I would still just like to be able to see the cover art now.

[enter Pee Wee Herman mode]

I'm sorry. No, I'm not sorry!

[exit Pee Wee Herman mode]

Okay, so I like teasing a little. ;)

The cover is wonderful. It is stylistic and elegant and artful and it has my name on it!

I sent my editor a vision of the cover I had one night and was later glad that wasn't the direction they chose to go.

I was asked for my feedback on this artwork in the draft stage and I had nothing but praise for it. A cover I'm proud to have associated with my work. My agent told me it's one of the best covers he's seen in a long time.

There...is that enough of a tease?! You think this is a tease...wait until you see how I'm going to launch the cover art here next week! (And, no, it's not going to be like the tiny 3x3 version of my author photo!)

Now I finally get it - Bev is really a ”hype machine”

Build us up :D - let us down !@#$

Build us up more :D - let us back down !@#$

Eventually we get the finale - like in the summer fireworks display

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lol a hype machine...

CRinVA: it could well be the class of publishing people he connects with on a regular basis giving him some tricks of the trade ;)

Heck it worked often enough with King when a new book was being released...

Bev, might even have a publishing assistant that is just there to show him how to play us like a well-oiled instrument ~0

Heck! I sense a conspiracy therorists conspiracy occurring here...oh my lord! ~0

They tell beginning writers that finishing the book is only half the job. Selling it, stirring up interest, getting word of mouth, promoting the heck out of it -- that's the other half.

Originally posted by DTUK

Bev, might even have a publishing assistant that is just there to show him how to play us like a well oiled instrument ~0

I don't have a publicist yet, but I will be assigned one from within the publisher at some point in the near future. I have no idea what their publicity plans for the book are, though.

Comments

• Author: Bev Vincent

Okay, folks, I have the final cover, and it's here for your viewing enjoyment.

However -- there's a little catch. Shortly after they sent me the cover, I accidentally dropped it on the floor and broke it.

Your mission -- should you choose to accept it -- is to put it back together again!

Once you've done so, you'll be rewarded with an automatic hop to a clearer picture of the cover, which you can supersize if you'd like, although supersizing seems to be in disfavor these days.

This requires Flash, alas. If you don't have Flash and don't want it, have no fear, I'll post the real cover without the skill testing application some time next week.

So, without further ado -- reassemble my cover!

Oh, yeah -- once you're done fawning over it, come back here and let me know what you think of it!

VERY VERY Cool - especially the King Blurb on the cover!

And a very cool way of presenting it!

Bravo :D

Author: Lilja

The cover looks really great. You can't whish for better recommendations then the ones from King on the cover!

You guys are fast -- maybe I should have used the 64 x 64 piece option!

Normally, I have left work and on an hour and a half commute, but things got hectic here and thus I am still here - just decided to take a peek on the board and voila - I am the first to see the cover - at least the first from TRTTDT! :D

I can't wait to get this book in my hands cause it will mean that I've seen the ending! and am ready to re-explore the entire series with an exert! Been trucking along on this voyage since I saw The Gunslinger mentioned as “also written by Stephen King” in the front of Pet Semetery! Just wish I had been smart enough back then to track down a second edition. I have a third and the revised, but am always on the lookout for a real bargain on a first or second!

Author: Darth Pookie

I like it. Personally, I was thinking, that's just the way I've always felt the Tower should look--like a cathedral. It kind of adds a necessary surreality to it. It reminds me of the way the Tower was drawn in The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass. That one was one of my favorite pictures in that book. Another one being the one where the ka-tet are standing there, and Eddie's holding Suze in his arms and you can read the newspaper headlines (so far as I know, that one's only available in the Grant edition of the book).

Author: Original Torch

Breathtaking cover. Beautiful tower, though not how I pictured it. I thought there would be less rooms/windows, more like a prison cell in an old castle up by the spire or turret or whatever.

I like the keyhole/door face plate look too.. basically everything about it is real real nice, and I even kinda got chills looking at your name there Bev.

Congratulations, it's really going to be a book!

Torch.

Author: durdy

I like it Bev and what a recommendation .

Even King admits you know more than him about his work .

Can't wait ,

db

Author: eta6

That is a fine fine looking book cover. The tower is absolutely amazing looking, and its really cool how you can see the top room. Very cool, Bev!

Author: Rackat

I really like the cover BEV. I am even moreso looking forward to having the cover, and the book it holds, in my hands. Congratulations on this endeavor. :)

Rackat

An excellent cover Bev, and I love the Tower too.

The puzzle idea worked great. It was really good seeing the pieces coming together, and normally I am very stern when it comes to book covers, but I believe the publisher's have done a fantastic job here and made a good book even better :)

Can't wait to get a copy :)

Author: Blaine

Wonderful job Bev,

I hope the italian cover will be the same.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I'm glad the puzzle idea worked out. I normally just see people posting it and saying -- here's the cover of my new book, so I thought I'd try something different.

My agent told me that it was one of the best covers he's seen in quite a while.

As far as the Italian cover goes -- that will be up to S&K. The cover is proprietary to NAL and since it was us who sold the rights to S&K and not NAL I doubt there's any chance of “sharing” it.

Bob: Your user account got trashed yesterday, but I restored it this morning. Must be all the activity on the board!

I agree with pretty much all of the other comments.

It looks like a great cover. I am very impressed.

Author: Rache4173

I tried posting my raves and congrats last night, but my computer didn't cooperate. So, add me to the list Bev! I loved it. And I thought the puzzle was a great idea. Makes people use at least a little of their brains. :p
  • Author: Bev Vincent

That plaque in the upper right just looks so darned elegant and distinguished! The background color is attractive and subtly foreboding. The Tower is nice and gothic; it reminds me of a photograph poster I have hanging on my office wall -- the duomo (cathedral) in Milan, Italy, which is full of spires and statuary. I couldn't be happier about it.

“That is the Duomo seen from the Belvedere... Do you know Florence?”

--Hannibal Lecter.

lol.

This is the duomo in Milano:

That is beautiful. ~0

Author: Lin242

#) Put the cover together again (I did it last night from SKBB) and it's even better than I remembered :). I love the art of the tower, it's very mystical and architecturally beautiful. I can dig that cathedral in Milan, how beautiful is that.

I'm fairly sure as we've read along, each of us has had a concept of how the Tower itself would look. I've always pictured turrets, spires, smoke... and one level that is perfectly beautiful and serene, the top level. So I like this conception of the Tower.

Bev, did you have any say in the final product?

Lin :)

I supplied a concept, which they ultimately didn't use.

I didn't see the cover until it was essentially complete. The version I saw a while back was what you see now, without the blurb. I loved it, so all was good. If I hadn't liked it, well, that would have complicated matters. I didn't have contractual approval over the content, but if my feelings had been strong and strongly expressed then it might have made a difference.

Fortunately it wasn't an issue at all.

Bev,

Do you mind letting us know what concept you had suggested that they didn't go with, or would you like to just forget about it and focus on the great cover you ended up with?

Ask me again in six months, because a couple of months after I suggested it, I realized that it might be construed as a spoiler for the series!

Author: Fulsome Prism

That is a very handsome cover, Sai Vincent. You should be proud!

I look forward to reading what lies beyond it . . .

Author: Ratty

sweeet cover.

me likey alot :)

I would like to show to the members a photo of the monument that probably is the closest thing to the Dark Tower: The Leaning Tower of Pisa. But can someone explain me how to attach the photo? :p

Thank you

Blain;

Just add this to your post - an image address surrounded by img and /img (in brackets like these [])

such as

(img)http://sitename/image.jpg(/img) <------- replace ('s & )'s with [ and ], respectively!

:)

Author: Blaine 62.110.255.153

enjoy it!

Thank you very much CRinVA,

very kind! ;)

Blaine, what a beautiful picture! :) Is that a comet up in the right-hand corner??

A friend of mine is a big photography lover and she took some of the most beautiful pictures in Venice last year. One of them won her an award. She also brought me back the sweetest blown glass flowers in a vase.

The thing that surprised me the most about the Leaning Tower of Pisa (recall the name of the restaurant from Drawing of the Three?) was that it is adjacent to a wonderful cathedral -- it's actually the bell tower for the church, but in most pictures the church is excised.

When I was there many years ago you could still climb to the top of the Tower but they stopped allowing that not long after while they worked on keeping it from being the Lying Down Tower of Pisa.

• Author: Blaine

You're right Lin242,

that's a comet. Venice is a wonderful city, it's called “city of lovers.” It's worth the name.

Of course I remember the connection between The Leaning Tower of Pisa with DT2...that's one of my favourite SK books. I had the chance in 1990 to reach the top of the tower (of Pisa naturally). Yes, Bev, there has been a real hard work on the leaning tower in the last 10 years and now is possible climbing to the top again. I know the cathedral you are referring to...here you go Bev...

If you stand at the bottom of Pisa Tower it seems that is falling down on you...it's scaring just like the falling of The Dark Tower ~0

Do you guys think that SK took the idea from ths?

There were two towers in The Lord of the Rings, and we all know there was a heavy influence on King from that tale. That is my opinion as to where the Dark Tower came from - the Tower of Mordor!

Author: eta6

The Tower of Mordor, Barad-Dur, is referred to in the books as the Dark Tower.

Author: Karitas

Isn’t the most direct influence for the DT series The poem “Childe Roland to the dark tower came” by Robert Browning?

i seem to remember that being in the forward by king to my original un revised (is that even a word) version of the Gunslinger.

by extension of that it comes from Shakespeare By way of Eliot (well book three anyways) :)

in fact i think there’s a good few hints in Browning's work and in the poem's origins to what might be to come but thats another topic :)

PS, its a Darn good Cover Bev - ties in quite nicely to both my original UK livery paperback AND the new Hardcover uk livery too :D

Author: keeproductions

I have two forums that I frequent for my hobbies: This one for Stephen King-related items and The Criterion Collection Forum for my obsession with foreign films. So for the last few days I've been spending a lot of time over there and when I come back here I find that I missed the momentous “cover-reveal” for almost a week! That'll teach me.

Anyway- Bev, I think the cover is incredible, the blurb is stupendous, my excitement for you is palpable, and the time until I can get this book in my hands unbearable!

I'm serious about that. I'm student of sorts regarding pop culture. I love reading reference materials about movies, music, books, etc. and sometimes find it more fascinating than the subjects themselves. As much as I can't wait to reach the end of the DT saga, I am equally excited to read your take on the entire story.

Keith

Keith, I agree with you -- I love knowing details about those references also. You should have seen my face when I finally read The Lord of the Rings trilogy and figured out what the darkest depths of Mordor finally meant. That was only 4 years ago! :) But more importantly that I could finally see many of the influences of this tale on the DT series which I had started reading when The Gunslinger upon it's release. Not stolen in any way, but faithfully recognized.

The cover design is by Ray Lundgren and cover art is by Steve Stone, who also did the covers for the recent Viking Dark Tower reissues.