Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Lighthouse 4

I've been invited to submit an essay to the Stephen King issue of Lighthouse magazine, so I've decided to write up my recent thoughts about the controversial demises of the three putative villains of the Dark Tower series, and my thoughts on who Roland's real nemesis is. I think the issue is due out some time in early 2005. My deadline is in a little over a month.

Comments

• Sounds interesting.

I am not familiar with Lighthouse magazine. Should I be?
  • Another must-have purchase. ;D That sounds like an excellent essay in mind, Bev. I look forward to reading your thoughts on that!! :)
  • They published my story Diver Down a while back. Here's their web site.
  • I've talked to the editor about doing an article on the current state of Stephen King collectibles and forged signatures. He seemed pretty excited about it so I hope to be in the table of contents along side you, Bev!
  • I read Diver Down on-line Bev, but I wasn't familiar with the magazine per se. This sounds really great!

Congrats!

Jonathan, good luck to you also. You just got your name in the Promotions thread. :)

Lin
  • My friend Jim Cole (director of Last Rung on the Ladder) tells me that the editor expects to receive copies of Lighthouse four in two weeks (~ May 19) and will be shipping it out soon thereafter.
  • From the Lighthouse gang:

Lighthouse IV – Stephen King Special Edition I

The paperbacks have arrived and look great. We start shipping next week. Please be patient as there is a lot of work to be done with regards to labelling, packing, and posting. You will receive your orders as soon as possible.

Note: There are only 10 paperbacks, and 10 hardbacks left. Be sure to place your order if you are wanting a copy as these are not going to last long.

Lighthouse V – Stephen King Special Edition II

Lighthouse V goes to press in July/August 2005.

Pre-orders can be placed in our store. If you’ve ordered Lighthouse IV, we will match the numbers.

Best Regards

PCW & the LMO Team

www.lighthousemediaone.co.uk
  • Received my copy yesterday! Looks very good.
  • Hey, all!

I'm new! First post!

I'm also featured in Lighthouse 4. I wrote Stephen King: Chronicling The Boomer Generation. Tell me how you like it. I don't even have my copy yet, so I don't know how it looks. I finally broke down and emailed Paul at Lighthouse and asked him when it was coming, but I never got a reply. :-/ But it seems like it's due any day now if people are getting theirs.

I can't wait to read your article, Bev. And I can't wait to get Road To The Dark Tower from CD. I was hoping to get it by Christmas last year. ;D I really hope Rocky's book comes out soon after. I look forward to reading both your works.

• Hey, Gary -- I don't have my copy yet, either. I got an e-mail from Paul in late May asking for my address. I hear that he's away, perhaps on vacation, for most of June. Looking forward to reading your essay, too.

I don't know the schedule for Road from CD or Rocky's book, but I'm hoping that by the end of the summer we'll see one or t'other.
  • Thanks, Bev!

I have a question. Is your Lighthouse essay similar to the exclusive CD chapbook about DT baddies? I really wanted it, but after getting your book and Rocky's, I just don't have the cash to buy something else just for the chapbook.
  • Gary:

No, they're completely different. The CD chapbook contains some character overviews that I edited out of The Road to the Dark Tower before I submitted it because that chapter was getting out of hand. There are a few good characters (e.g. Irene Tassenbaum), bad (Enrico Balazer) and old double ugly (Jack Andolini), hence it's title.

The essay in L4 is a direct response to the discussions I saw after DT7 came out, wherein people bemoaned the fates of the three big adversaries in the series: Flagg, Mordred and CK.
  • Ah, I see. Now I really can't wait to read Lighthouse 4.

The only beef I have with DT 7 is the tremendous buildup SK does with his villains in Insomnia (impersonal, godlike forces behind the scenes, plus the Crimson King doesn't seem so crazy) Black House (it really reads like Munson takes the kids to Hell itself, and he's a great villain anyway, better than the foes/hitmen in DT 7) and with Mordred in the beginning of DT 7. And Flagg really seems almost like the main adversary instead of the Crimson King, throughout all the years of SK's writing... and then he's eaten in all of two pages or so. Mind you, it was a wonderful death scene... But I expected him to be wilier than that.

It really seems to me like all the villains pooped out in the end. But that's my only criticism. I assume this is what you're going to address?
  • That's exactly right, plus I also offer my opinion as to who Roland's real enemy is.
  • I just heard that my parents in Ohio got their copy. Only problem is, my copy shipped with theirs.  :'( And even if they send it tomorrow I won't get it until after the 4th.

They said it looks nice, though. And they said I'm on page 8! I don't know if they're getting the lesser articles out of the way or what, but it's nice to be upfront. ;D
  • Still haven't gotten mine, but a friend of mine brought a copy for me to peruse briefly at Dark Delicacies last weekend.
  • I got it. They overnighted it to me. Wow! I'm the first article!

I shall curl up in bed with your article tonight. It's kind of hard looking at that photo of Road to the Dark Tower since I'm still waiting for mine. ;D
  • I still haven't gotten mine yet. ???
  • I read your article, Bev. It was very good. It puts things into perspective. I'd be interested in knowing if you had thought you would need to write this article when you were actually studying the DT manuscripts before publication. What did you think of the fates of Walter, Mordred and CK immediately after reading them? Were you satisfied, or did you have to reason it out to your satisfaction? If you know what I mean.
  • At the time I read the DT books, I was perfectly content with the fates of RF, Mordred and CK. I didn't anticpate that other readers wouldn't be as well. After reading a great many posts bemoaning the fates of these characters, I decided to crystallize my thoughts about them and out of that sprang this essay.