Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Metafiction

I greatly enjoyed The Road to the Dark Tower - it certainly expanded my appreciation of the series.

In the chapter "Art and the Act of Creation", Bev refers to "metafiction", that fiction which is self-referential, and in which the fictional characters are aware of their fictional condition. Toward the end of his career, beginning with The Number of the Beast, Robert A. Heinlein introduced this concept to his own work as a means of tying together his oeuvre. He introduced an idea he called "Eschatological Pantheistic Multiple-Ego Solipsism" - anything imagined by a fabulist exists somewhere in the Multiverse. Of course, the name itself is nearly meaningless (eschatology is the branch of theology dealing with the end of the world; pantheism is the principle that any and all forms of worship are directed to the same universal entity under different names; solipsism is the philosophy that the only reality is the one directly experienced and anything outside the self is illusory), but the concept remains.

Comments

• I'm glad you enjoyed Road, Dr. G.

Eschatological Pantheistic Multiple-Ego Solipsism. Boy, that's a mouthful, without even the benefit of having a nice, pronounceable acronym!
  • Heck, that threw me for a curve also...lol

No cool acronym either...
  • In The Number of the Beast, Heinlein describes a meeting of the First Centennial Convention of the Interuniversal Society for Eschatological Pantheistic Multiple-Ego Solipsism. The attendees include real people, people from all Heinlein's works, and people from OTHER authors' fiction. A list can be found at http://www.heinleinsociety.org/concordance/I_HC.htm, under the entry for the "Interuniversal Society".