Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Cuthbert

edited January 2005 in Dark Tower
Did Cuthbert ever actually become a Gunslinger by passing his test? If so whom did he go up against? Was it Cort? Who?

Comments

• I think Alain and Cuthbert won their guns by dint of their experiences in Mejis.
  • After the events in Mejis, they surely earned the title of Gunslinger.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: I think Alain and Cuthbert won their guns by dint of their experiences in Mejis.

I understand what you are saying but this poses another question for me. After Roland and David beat the living crap out of Cort how would anyone else be able to do the test if Cort was not well enough to do it. I mean were there other teachers such as Cort who taught other kids of the high speech to become Gunslingers or what it just Corts family. I know Corts dad was also a teacher of Gunslingers.

Anyway I thought you actually had to face your teacher in order to be an actual Gunslinger but then again Eddie, Jake and Susanna never fought Roland either so I guess its just up to your imagination.
  • Hi bucky and welcome.

I understand what you are saying but this poses another question for me. After Roland and David beat the living crap out of Cort how would anyone else be able to do the test if Cort was not well enough to do it. I mean were there other teachers such as Cort who taught other kids of the high speech to become Gunslingers or what it just Corts family. I know Corts dad was also a teacher of Gunslingers.

The Wastelands indicates that Cort remained in a coma for two weeks but I don't know that it is necessarily indicated that he was unable to ever teach again. Certainly Roland and David bested him when he wasn't expecting it. :) Of course the end of Gilead would not have supported training further Gunslingers, hence Roland ended up being the last original Gunslinger if I interpret that correctly from their history.

Anyway I thought you actually had to face your teacher in order to be an actual Gunslinger but then again Eddie, Jake and Susanna never fought Roland either so I guess its just up to your imagination.

Again by my own humble interpretation, they didn't have to literally fight Roland, each in their own way passed the tests he either presented to them or they were faced with for their survival and perpetuation of the "quest". In that sense, they did "stand". One could argue that they were honourary gunslingers, but to me they were fully gunslingers by my interpretation of the term. Even Oy. :)

• As I recall the nurses were brought to Cort after Roland bested him. I am sure he recovered! But then remember, by the time Roland drew his Ka-Tet the world had moved on and what once was is no longer, what should have been might never be. If a Gunslinger had to be bested by another to become a Gunslinger, then there could only ever be one Gunslinger and my interpretation is that Eddie, Suzannah and Jake were all Gunslingers, though none as cold and calculating as Roland!
  • buckythekangaroo wrote:

In the absence of war, the only way to become a gunslinger was "in the classroom" so to speak, by besting your teacher.

I think that Cuthbert and Alain received "field promotions" having proven themselves in live battle. The same would be true of Eddie, Susannah and Jake. And Oy, had he but a gun or a hand with which to sling it.
  • Ok I know that Cuthbert never fully forgave Roland for leaving Susan to die the way she did. And I think that Susan had once thought that he(Bert) was also handsome,well maybe if she met him first?     So besides his mentions in the series,I was wondering if  there are any other stories that include my ka-mai? I would really like to know more about him. After he saved Sheemie he won my heart. :-* That and he can make you laugh. ;D     Thanks   -crimson queen
  • Agrees that Oy was a gunslinger also :)
  • crimson_queen wrote:   So besides his mentions in the series,I was wondering if  there are any other stories that include my ka-mai?

No, Cuthbert isn't mentioned anywhere outside the series.
  • :(      Does King have any plans for him? Or any other DT related work?  I know its a longshot. What about you, did you cover anything like that in RTTDT?  Thanks Bev :)       -cq
  • King said recently that he's done writing about Roland's world "for now." I had nothing to report about Cuthbert beyond what's in the Dark Tower books.
  • How come Jamie De Curry was not in any of the stories?