Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

movie/series

edited January 2005 in Dark Tower
I am sure this has been covered a thousand times on here but what do you think the chances of someone making a movie or series out of The Dark Tower?

I am not talking about right now but sort of like they did to the Lord Of The Rings many years from now after King is passed away and The Dark Tower becomes a classic work I think its a possiblity.

I have always thought that doing it in anamation would be the best way to do it but that is just me.

Comments

• If it was done as an animation - I have no problem with "Pixar" doing it.
  • I could die an old and happy man without there ever being a film adaptation of this series of any ilk. 8)
  • Given that success stories like the LOTR films do not frequently happen I would love to see a film version done. Animation - either CGI or the style used in Kill Bill 1 - seems to be the only solution.

I do not see how you could handle Jake's character agewise - unless it was done in one long shoot and even then the actor playing him would probably being filming for 3 or 4 years!
  • I think we'd probably hate any kind of adaptation done to the DT series in movie/animation form; I guess that's why I am pretty much 50/50 on the whole movie project.

I can take it or leave it.
  • I'm 50/50 on the subject. Yes seeing The Dark Tower play out on something other than my mind's eye would be cool, but quite frankly it would have to be up to par. And I'm not talking OK, it had better be GREAT! I hate when they make movies out of books and the're HORRIBLE! Its such a let down for everyone, the true fans are outraged than they massacred such a great book, and the movie goers think 'this sucks so the book is probably worse'. Never giving them the drive to pick up a book and experience these stories in a different way. There is always the huge chance for a great disappointment I guess is what I'm saying. But if it did look GREAT (all capitals), I would check it out! :) -CQ
  • I think it would be a great idea (not mad on the cartoon/ CG idea though).

I think it would be more suited to being a televised series with a season for each book say than a few feature length movies.

King could produce/direct like he did with Kingdom Hospital and if you could get someone like HBO and ABC jumping on board Im sure it could be pulled off successfully (I haven't got a clue of what actors to used!)

With a massive fan base over a few generations accross the world if anything a tv series would get more people reading the DT books and entering the world of Roland and co.

I agree in the past movie adaptations of certain books has not be up to scratch, but with a season based series there wont be an issue of not having the time/durtation to tell the tale as it should be told.

All you have to do is look at the success of todays TV series such as Lost, Prison Break ..etc. and you know it would be a winner and the DT has the advantage of already have many millions of fans!

I know is only a dream, but the DT will be televised if Ka wills it!

Anyway thats just my own view, but anything DT related that gets created in the future will be very interesting to see!

By the way, Hi everyone.

• One of the risks with a season-based series is that it could get cancelled at any time if the ratings aren't stellar. That would be worse than no adatpation at all, in my opinion.

Welcome to my board, Matt!
  • Interesting views, Matt - welcome :)
  • At times while reading the series, I would think to myself, "This would make the most amazing series of movies.." And at other times I would be reading and I'd hit a part dealing with one of the many complex mental situations (Mia inside Susanna, next to Detta, with a mental Dogan, and inter-ka-tet telepathy and all that) and think, "this would be completely un-filmable." But that's what J.R.R. Tolkien said about Lord o' the Rings. Maybe a mini-series sort of project would work, if it was done right. Like Band of Brothers quality.. and do 15 - 20 or so 1 hour episodes.
  • I've been reading the dark tower books for over 5 years now. I could read the first 4 after each other and had to wait for the last 3 to be released. In my opinion it's the best story that I have read. I have to agree with some of you out here, i'm 50/50 about it. If there's gonna be a movie than i hope they make 1 that is worthy for this awesome adventure.

atleast marvel is working on a comic about the dark tower in coop with stephen king. I'm really looking forward to it. and maybe it could possible be a sort of story board for a movie

we'll see what ka will bring

long days and pleasant nights...
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: One of the risks with a season-based series is that it could get cancelled at any time if the ratings aren't stellar. That would be worse than no adatpation at all, in my opinion.
    I think that Matt is on the right track. A season-long series on HBO (NOT network... censors= >:() would give enough time to adapt the full scope of the books. The series "24" proved that people can (and will) stick with a strict timeline-based series. The quality will have to be there for sure, though. With fans as rabid as the DT series has aquired, I would hope that SK realizes and treats it as the masterpiece that it truly is.

The movie idea doesn't seem feasible because not only are you constrained by time, but how would you break up the movies? The flow and breaks in the books don't match up evenly at all. Also human nature being what it is, if people weren't that impressed with the first movies, they will be disinclined to shell out the cash to see the subsequent movies. If people already are paying for the cable and can stay in their houses, they will more likely stick with the series, thus keeping the ratings up. SK could also stipulate in the contract that the series will be completely filmed no matter what. Besides, I see them releasing it out on video after it has run its course on TV, so all people would get to watch it eventually. :)
  • During his Voice of America interview last week, King said that he thought there was a chance there'd be a movie version if the books' popularity survived. Such an adaptation might not happen in his lifetime, though. He reminded listeners that it took over 50 years after the publication of Lord of the Rings for them to adapt that series.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: During his Voice of America interview last week, King said that he thought there was a chance there'd be a movie version if the books' popularity survived. Such an adaptation might not happen in his lifetime, though. He reminded listeners that it took over 50 years after the publication of Lord of the Rings for them to adapt that series.

The popularity will survive because the DT series touches people's souls, because we all have the Dark Tower within us, where a person always quests to understand themselves and be better than they already are...when they are already perfection incarnate.

We are who we are for a reason...do we need to search out that truth...or just accept who we are.
  • Hey all new to site but DT fan for quite some time now just on who the makers should possibly be i think squaresoft (makers of popular game final fantasy and movie of the same) may be able to pull off a cgi movie really well
  • Welcome, Huskie. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the cgi'd films that have come out recently. There's no real reason in my mind not to use real actors. The vast majority of the series involves ordinary people doing more-or-less filmable things. Sure, there will have to be some effects, but for the most part, real actors can carry the film.
  • For those of you wondering about a possible Dark Tower Movie/Series, check out this article. Exciting!!!!!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/764/764210p1.html

http://movies.about.com/od/moviesinproduction/a/darktower021407.htm

Woo-Hoo!
  • Welcome to my board, cmarie. I'm not quite up to getting excited yet--I'd be surprised if there were any forward action on a movie this decade, given the scope of the project and how long it typically takes to put film deals together, along with the fact that the creative team will be heavily involved with LOST until 2010.

Nonetheless, I will be interested to hear about and see what they come up with.
  • I am totally and 100% for a film, CGI, or mini-series. I know sometimes a film doesnt do a book justice but just like anything else if you dont like it you dont have to see it. If you do see it and you dont like it then just forget about it. I picked up my first copy of The Gunslinger in 1986 and have been reading them and re-reading them ever since. I cant sleep at night unless I have the audio CD's playing in my cd player right next to my bed and I have been doing this since 1986 as well when I was listening to the books on cassette. I cant tell you how many cassettes I went through until I they came out on CD.

Bottom line is not a day goes by and I literally mean not a day goes by where I dont take myself into Mid-World on the quest for the Tower. I recently deployed to Iraq and I took my entire Tower CD collection with me and listend to it every night.

I am very excited about a movie and I dont care if I have to wait 20 years just as long as it happens before I die. I am only 34 so there is a pretty good chance of that happening.

I was a huge Tommyknockers and IT fan but neither movie in my opinion was any good. So I just never watched it again and remembered only the books. Its that simple. Nothing will change even if they make a crappy movie about the Tower we will just move on and remeber the book series.

I see nothing wrong with a film whatsoever.
  • Being a longtime fan of the Dragonlance series, I was pretty darn giddy when an animated film adaption was in process for the first book, Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Heck, one of the main character's (Raistlin) voice actor was going to be Keifer Sutherland!!! Wahoo!!!

Alas, I found the movie at the local McDonald's Red Box and rented it (Can't beat a rental for $1.06!!!), took it home and watched it...

By the end, I was almost sick to my stomach with anger... The animation was terrible, the voice acting was terrible, it was rushed, and major story elements were completely left out... I was crushed. And so were many of my friends who saw that piece of trash. I wanted my $1.06 back!!! Fans had been waiting for this to be done for over 20 years...

Yeah, I've been hearing of an animated DT film... If they do what they did to my precious Dragonlance series... Well... I think Stephen should drive a white van through the production company's office building... >:(