Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

non Stephen King books in DT

edited January 2005 in Dark Tower
I just finished reading Ring Around the Sun by Clifford D. Simak, which Ted Brautigan discussed with Bobby and is where SK drew inspiration for multiple universes.

Written in 1950 about 1977, I really enjoyed it. I agree with Ted, the story is great, but I think the writing is good when compared to most of the SciFi written in 1950. Could really see its influence on The Talisman and DT series.

I'm trying to remember other books mention in DT that should be read.

thanks

Comments

• I didn't buy or read it, but I have seen a book titled "Shardik". I believe it was about a bear.

Jake
  • Thanks,

I had forgotten all about that 1974 Richard Adams SF novel. I've never read it either, but just requested it from the local library.
  • Thomas Wolfe's books (not Tom Wolfe!)
  • I think I recognized a reference - remember in the Dixie Pig when the scrimshaw turtle scuttles under the table?  King says it "passes forever out of the story like a paper boat in a certain tale you may remember" (paraphrased).  

Anyone else think he's talking about Hans Christian Anderson's The Tin Soldier?  Remember when the paper boat sinks?  It's fairly fresh in my mind because it's a favorite story of both of my kids (as well as a childhood favorite of mine).

MK :D

MK
  • No -- he's talking about the paper boat at the beginning of IT.

Here's the funny part -- that aside wasn't in the original draft of the book, but the wording reminded me of the description from IT, so I noted that in The Road to the Dark Tower. After I sent the manuscript of my book to King, that little aside showed up in the next version of his book!