Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Book reviews

edited February 2005 in Book Reviews
The Conroe Courier has started including my reviews in their online presence again. Today's review is of Philip Roth's The Plot Against America.

Comments

• Definitely worth reading.

I found his writing style cumbersome and the endless litany of meetings and names stalled the narrative on several occasions. The book is at its best when it dealt with the family.

Let us know when you do future reviews Bev, always enjoy reading your thoughts.
  • Good review, Bev - I may well buy this book as it sounds interesting and is of an alternate history nature.

It reminds me of Harry Turtledove's "In the Presence of Mine Enemies", about a Jewish family hiding their identity and having to wear the mask of the "Nazi" to escape murder and persecution in the centre of the Greater German Reich after Germany won WWII - that is also a good read.
  • My review of Brian Keene's Terminal is in the July issue of Insidious Reflections, which is a free PDF download.
  • New issue of Accent Literary Review

I have an interview with Owen King and reviews of:
    • Saturday, by Ian McEwan
    • Captain Alatriste, by Arturo Perez-Reverte
    • We're All In This Together, by Owen King
  • Excellent reviews - and I mean all of them.
  • Three new reviews up at Accent:

• My review of Kamikaze by Michael Slade is now up at Hellnotes
  • Hard to tell from that review how much you enjoyed the book.
  • My reviews tend to be like that. I don't think anyone is interested in my likes and dislikes. As a reader of reviews, I'm not influenced by whether the reviewer liked the work. I just want to get information about the book or movie or whatever.
  • Interesting. Reading your other reviews I could tell whether or not you thought the book was good and if you enjoyed it. With this one I was not sure. If I had to guess, you found the book good but not great.

I like the Ebert approach. Over time I can tell pretty much by his comments how I will respond to the movie.
  • My review of Mr. Mercedes appears in Cemetery Dance #71, which ships later this month.

• My review of The Shining: Studies in the Horror Film, edited by Danel Olson, is now up at Cemetery Dance online.
  • It's on my TBB (To Be Bought) Pile. I really enjoyed their Salem's Lot one.