Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Asylum

edited February 2005 in General news
King wrote an early draft of this move, based on the Patrick McGrath novel, but, as this article discusses, there were more changes involved than finding a new script before it was finally adapted.

King sent me a copy of his script for my assessment after a CD column in which I quoted a reviewer who called it "boring." It disagreed with the reviewer, but I wasn't fond of the story. It was depressing as hell.

Comments

• No less than Stephen King wrote an unfilmed version of the screenplay, the only unoriginal adaptation he’s ever done. Has McGrath met the maestro?

“I haven’t. I called him on the phone. He did me a great favour once when I was trying to get a Green Card and I was having a bit of difficulty because I was busted for grass years ago in Canada. I had this immigration lawyer and she said, ‘Do you know anyone famous in the literary world?’ And I said, ‘I’ve heard that Stephen King likes my stuff.’ So she said, ‘Write to him.’ So I wrote a letter to Stephen King explaining my dilemma, and back came the most wonderful glowing letter recommending that the immigration service welcome me into America because I’d be an asset, it was the most generous thing.

“So my lawyer was presenting this folder of references and transcripts and god knows what, and she put this right up at the front, before you even opened the flap inside the file, there was the letter. And she said, ‘They won’t know anyone else, but they’ll all know who Stephen King is. That’ll get you a Green Card.’ And I believe that’s what did. It says a lot about America and about Stephen King.”

>> Source