Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Transgressions

edited February 2005 in General news
Hi

King's office told me the despite what the publisher says it's not 100% certain that King will sign the limited ed of Transgressions. Bellow can read what the moderator of King's official message board answered to a question about it on my site:

"When I asked Stephen he didn’t recall having agreed to sign any and hasn’t received any tip sheets but we would have to double-check the contract to be 100% sure. We want to have his agent also check with the publisher to make sure there isn’t a misunderstanding about this. Typically, though, with a May publication date coming right up, tip sheets would have been signed by now so they could be sent to the bindery."

Lilja

--

http://www.Liljas-Library.com

Comments

• I just finished reading King's story in the collection, which is a creepy little 9/11 inspired story about survivor guilt...and more. Surprisingly, King's story is probably the shortest one in the collection--when's the last time THAT happened? ;D

"Walking Around Money" by Donald E. Westlake; "Hostages" by Anne Perry; "The Corn Maiden" by Joyce Carol Oates; "Archibald Lawless, Anarchist at Large: Walking the Line" by Walter Mosley; "The Resurrection Man" by Sharyn McCrumb"; "Merely Hate" by Ed McBain; "The Things They Left Behind" by Stephen King; "The Ransome Women" by John Farris; "Forever" by Jeffery Deaver; and "Keller's Adjustment" by Lawrence Block.
  • Q: Hello, I have heard that Mr. King will be signing the limited edition of Transgressions. Can you Please tell me if this is true?

Response from Moderator: Because it is a small run (only 200 copies for distribution to the public), he has recently agreed to do so.

• Quote:Q: Hello, I have heard that Mr. King will be signing the limited edition of Transgressions. Can you Please tell me if this is true?

Response from Moderator: Because it is a small run (only 200 copies for distribution to the public), he has recently agreed to do so.

Guess I should have ordered one when I had the chance!
  • Bev, do you know how the limited edition will be sold? I contacted Camelot Books to see if they would be getting copies, and they said it was going to be by lottery. If this is so, who do I need to contact to stand a chance of winning?

Thanks, Jason
  • I don't know...sorry. I wasn't interested in buying one, so I haven't been paying attention. I'd recommend getting in touch with someone at Tor/Forge, the publisher.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: I just finished reading King's story in the collection, which is a creepy little 9/11 inspired story about survivor guilt...and more. Surprisingly, King's story is probably the shortest one in the collection--when's the last time THAT happened?  ;D

"Walking Around Money" by Donald E. Westlake; "Hostages" by Anne Perry; "The Corn Maiden" by Joyce Carol Oates; "Archibald Lawless, Anarchist at Large: Walking the Line" by Walter Mosley; "The Resurrection Man" by Sharyn McCrumb"; "Merely Hate" by Ed McBain; "The Things They Left Behind" by Stephen King; "The Ransome Women" by John Farris;  "Forever" by Jeffery Deaver; and "Keller's Adjustment" by Lawrence Block.

Bev, have you read Deaver's story in it? If so, was it any good?

Blu
  • I haven't read any of the other tales yet. They're all at least 75 pages long, so I didn't want to interrupt my current reading for them. King's story I could read in an hour.
  • There's a seller on eBay, stvnking, that has sold FIVE of the signed limited editions of this book.  That's out of a total of 200 copies being printed.  He also has a sixth copy up for auction right now.  He says that these are preorders and that he has a guaranteed order from the publisher for these books.

I just checked again and he has still another up for bid!

It looks as if I misread his latest auction--he says he has 22 copies for sale!!

THIS HAS GOT TO BE A COMPLETE RIP-OFF!!!!!

I find it VERY hard to believe that he is getting this many of the copies.

I would say beware of this seller.  By the time the book is published (May), he very possibly could disappear with your money and even if you've paid via Paypal or credit card, you will have a lot of difficulty getting it back!

John
  • I picked up a copy of "Transgressions" in my local Books-A-Million today - second time in a row I've been able to pick up a King book early (the first was the paperback edition of "Song of Susannah"). Can't wait to dig into this - King's story first, then Jeffery Deaver's (people, if you aren't reading everything this guy writes, you should be), then I'll move through the rest.

Blu
  • hey john/ everyone...

terry here... aka sir boomme from the kings closet webgroup.

has anyone heard anything on the delivery of limited copies of transgressions?

i ordered 5 copies via amazon (hope i get at least one) the amazon site said that they should be delivery date estimate was may 2nd and may 3rd

but apparently according to the amazon order status report....none have been shipped yet ( i ordered each separately with separate shipping...hoping to increase the chance of me receiving at least one copy)

-terry
  • There's a very active thread about this on www.thedarktower.net message board.

My prediction: Amazon won't be able to deliver any copies.

With Legends, Tor took individual orders, then canceled them all and allowed bookstores to enter a lottery for a chance to get one copy, which they could then resell. Bookstores often held their own lotteries or sold on a first-come/first-serve basis. With only 200 available, I don't expect there will be any available to the discounters. Amazon "sells" anything with an ISBN, but they can't guarantee they can get copies.
  • I got my email from Amazon today cancelling my order (placed 1/18/05) for the limited Transgressions.  No real surprise!

John
  • yeah.... me to.... i got the amazon cancelation of 3 of my 5 orders and i suspect the other 2 will be canceled by tomorrow.

so.... is tor and simon and schuster run by the same people? they both have the same FUBAR way of taking orders and screwing people it sounds (i'll never be buying that TGWLTG limited...on the second hand market or elsewhere... in fact...may not ever buy a simon and schuster item again....screw em.

guess we'll see how tor goes about "fairly " distributing these limiteds... i know i ordered my copies from amazon minutes after they were posted for sale, and that didn't work for me. waaaaah!

so...we'll just have to watch who ends up with these. bet it's NOT the joker preauctioning them on ebay. like you john... i'm pretty sure that's a scam.

if anyone on the board ends up with a copy... i'd love to hear the story how you came about it.

g-nite,

terry
  • Tor is a separate publisher from S&S/Scribner. Forge is one of Tor's imprints.

You shouldn't blame Tor or S&S for what Amazon chose to do, which is list books they don't have any idea whether or not they can provide. Amazon sniffs out an ISBN and lists it, hoping that they'll be able to fill orders later. Tor probably had no idea that people were ordering through Amazon.
  • ah... but i do blame S&S for posting the price of 500.00 on their own website... then raising the price to 750.00 and then to 1000.00....after orders had been placed. just a BAD way to do business IMO.

well see what happens on the transgressions books before i boycott them. it's not that i didn't get the limited tom gordon book... or that i couldn't afford it.... i could have done both (i've paid a lot! more than 1000.00 for a book before... and i actually had the option to purchase the book for 1000.00- i canceled my order)

it's how S&S handled the entire affair. left a really bad taste in my mouth.

-t

• Bev, Do you know of an ongoing discussion of The Things They Left Behind? I recieved it along with The Road to the Dark Tower Monday, and I read your book first ;). I just read King's story today and am overwhelmed with flashbacks to when I studied "The Things They Carried" in college. I would love to join a discussion of this story if you know of one. Thanks!
  • Me before King? I'm honored!

I haven't seen any substantial discussions of the new story yet, but you might try www.thedarktower.net or SKEMERs, where you might get one started.
  • Yes, you were first. And RTTDT was excellent. I was aware of Browning's poem, but I did not know that Roland has appeared so often throughout history. This supports King's version of Rolands cyclical existance.

I suppose that since this is a Transgressions thread, I could start the discussion here ;D. I usually just lurk.

Has anyone else read both "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien and King's "The Things They Left Behind"? I am going to reread "The Things They Carried" today to see what similarities I missed since I haven't read it in a while.

I'll start with the most obvious, weight. If you have not read "The Things They Carried," King's reference to the weight of the items may seem a little out of place, like it was thrown in there for no reason. However, the weight of the items was of paramount importance in "The Things They Carried."
  • I haven't read "The Things They Carried," nor was I aware of its influence on King's story. I'll have to look it up. Thanks!
  • I look forward to discussing the similarities and differences in the two stories. I hope other people will join. I am so stoked that I don't have Bev's patience, I'm afraid. I started with a minor detail, and waited a whole 24 hours before I could not wait any longer to jump in with my interpretation.

Both stories equate our existence with our possessions. King brings home this idea by having Scott Scaley haunted by the possessions of his coworkers rather than by their ghosts. Have we become more defined by our things than by our souls?
  • The Things They Left Behind is a Bram Stoker Award nominee! Here's the category:

LONG FICTION

BEST NEW HORROR by Joe Hill (Postscripts #3)

IN THE MIDNIGHT MUSEUM by Gary Braunbeck (Necessary Evil Press)

SOME ZOMBIE CONTINGENCY PLANS by Kelly Link (Magic for Beginners)

THE THINGS THEY LEFT BEHIND by Stephen King (Transgressions)