Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

March '05

My editor from NAL, Rose Hilliard, was in town over the weekend as a speaker and editor at the local writers guild conference, so I got to meet her for the first time, which was great. Finally putting a face to a name.

One thing we talked about was sales figures for Road, which I had no idea about. When she got back to the office today, she sent me the current state of affairs:

To date, over 30,000 copies have been sold, at a sell-through rate of 88% (12% of the books sent to stores were returned to the publisher). She said the average sell-through for a trade paperback is 65%.

She also thinks the book should backlist well, so the numbers should increase in the future.

Comments

• 8) Congratulations Bev, that is really impressive, don't you think?

I'm so happy for you!

Lin :)
  • Sounds impressive Bev - way to go! :)
  • I'm very pleased. I'd heard a number around 10,000 copies a while back, which was okay, but this is much better!
  • Very impressive, Bev! :)

"Oh, the size of this head and them doors...!" ;D

hehe :P
  • Bev,

Do you know when the Limited Edition of RTTDT is supposed to ship? I emailed CD a while back and hadn't heard anything from him, and cannot find the thread here that talked about it.
  • 8)Excellent! Any word on your proposal for another nonfiction book?
  • dyetye wrote: Bev,

Do you know when the Limited Edition of RTTDT is supposed to ship?  I emailed CD a while back and hadn't heard anything from him, and cannot find the thread here that talked about it.

I don't know what the status is. I've signed the sheets and proofed the pages, so it's completely in CD's hands now.
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: 8)Excellent!  Any word on your proposal for another nonfiction book?

We have one in with an editor awaiting response from the publisher. I'm learning that my experience with ROAD was atypical in that it was such a hot project that things happened a lot faster than is the norm!
  • Ah I see - well as usual - good luck!
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

I don't know what the status is. I've signed the sheets and proofed the pages, so it's completely in CD's hands now.

*Sigh*.......I know this will be worth the wait, but honestly, I could have bought a copy at Books-A-Milliion and driven to Bev's house to get it signed by now... ;)

Blu
  • I could have bought a copy at Books-A-Milliion and driven to Bev's house to get it signed by now...

Ah, yes, but would you be alive to tell the tale? :o
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

Ah, yes, but would you be alive to tell the tale?  :o

Hmmm....maybe I should just mail the book to Bev for a signature... :D

Blu
  • Indeed! Which is why we have this.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Indeed! Which is why we have this.

Bev.

Does the signed TRTTDT bookplate offer also extend to those living outside the U.S. ?
  • The signed bookplate offer was designed for people living outside the US, where the cost of shipping the book back and forth gets expensive very fast. I did a batch of 75-100 for the Dutch SK group that is launching the Dutch version of Road next month.
  • I got a stack of bookmarks from CD last night, the ones that Glenn Chadbourne designed for The Road to the Dark Tower. They are sooooo cool. Seven different designs, each inspired by a different Dark Tower book. They're big, black and gorgeous. You'll never lose your place with one of these.
  • I'm looking forward to these as well as your book - been waiting on pins and needles.

In fact, I checked your book out of the library yesterday so I could start reading - I guess I just can't wait anymore.
  • The bookmarks sound great, Bev!

Bob: I am sorely tempted to order TRTTDT from Amazon, but the only thing stopping me is that right now I am pushed for reading time. Though I had an enjoyable read today, since I was sick of playing console games...lol
  • Here's a much-reduced version of one of the bookmarks.

• Wow, Bev! the detail is a work of art.

• I want my books! This isn't helping. :-/ :D
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: I got a stack of bookmarks from CD last night, the ones that Glenn Chadbourne designed for The Road to the Dark Tower. They are sooooo cool. Seven different designs, each inspired by a different Dark Tower book. They're big, black and gorgeous. You'll never lose your place with one of these.

Well, I'll take that as a sign that there is - at last - movement on the CD/TRTTDT front. Hopefully we'll all be getting our books (and bookmarks - that looks great) SOON.

Impatiently yours,

Blu
  • Got the signed bookplate today Bev.

Thank you very much :)
  • While I was away last week, I finally received the second installment of my advance from the Italian publisher. It took a lot of paperwork back and forth, involving the IRS, to make this happen. I'm not sure when that edition will be published, but the Dutch launch date is a little over two weeks away.