Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

tRTTDT Question: Insomnia

Bev.

In DT7, the Tet Corp says that the DT tie-ins in Insomnia is SK's way of flushing out the important DT infos in his subconscious and little things like making Ed Deepneau a villain are meant to catch hold of Roland's attention to the importance of the book.  

Since it is established that Insomnia is a work of fiction even in Keystone Earth, I am curious as to why you include events from the book (i.e. Ralph Roberts meets the Crimson King, saves Patrick Danville's life) in the fictional timeline as if it really happened in Keystone Earth?  

Comments

• The timeline for Keystone Earth includes many events that didn't take place in Keystone Earth, including everything that happened to Odetta, Eddie, Jake, etc, since none of them came from the prime reality.
  • So everything that the fictional SK has written (Insomnia in this case) might have happen in some other earth or reality?
  • That's completely up to you to decide. I choose to believe so.
  • I like the idea that all the books written by SK are real events happening in other multiverse.

But with Insomnia not  taking place on Keystone Earth, wouldn't this render all that Ralph Roberts has done in vain since his success or failure in defeating the Crimson King and saving Patrick Danville is made redundant by the fact that time runs one way only on Keystone Earth?

Or can it be that being fiction within a fiction, Insomnia does indeed takes place on Keystone Earth albeit in a different reality (a fictional reality)?  :o
  • The assumption that time moves in only one direction in Keystone Earth is an unproven theory.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: The assumption that time moves in only one direction in Keystone Earth is an unproven theory.

Based on the fact that they managed to save King despite the news report that he died in SoS right?

But I think time does indeed move in only one direction in Keystone Earth in the context of ka. In this sense, ka can only open the portal to Keystone Earth for Roland and his ka-tet on certain timeline they needed to go only once whereas to other worlds the doorway can be open on certain timeline again and again which is how Flagg moves through all these worlds and sometimes be in all of it at the same time I guess.

On the other hand, Jake and Eddie has to be from Keystone Earth because Jake comes from the New York where Calvin Tower and the rose resides and he encounters a young Eddie and his brother in The Waste Lands on his way to the house that will take him back to Mid World. That makes only Susannah and yet Moses Carver from the Tet Corp is her Godfather so she must have been from Keystone Earth too.

Which is all making my head spinning right now ;D
  • sunny99 wrote:

On the other hand, Jake and Eddie has to be from Keystone Earth because Jake comes from the New York where Calvin Tower and the rose resides and he encounters a young Eddie and his brother in The Waste Lands on his way to the house that will take him back to Mid World. That makes only Susannah and yet Moses Carver from the Tet Corp is her Godfather so she must have been from Keystone Earth too.

Eddie is definitely NOT from Keystone Earth because of where his Co-Op City home is located. Jake probably wasn't, either, because he went to Eddie's Co-Op City. The Tower may be represented by a rose in more than one version of Earth. Eddie and Jake may also exist in more than one version of Earth.
  • Which is exactly why I'm getting confused at every turn  ;D

In WotC, when they opened the Unfound Door in the cave (or is it when they went todash, either or I guess) they see Jake going into the Manhattan Restaurant of the Mind to purchase the two books as depicted in The Waste Lands. But if there are numerous parallel worlds where the individuals have been doing the same thing at the same time it makes sense why Roland is going around his quest in a spiral loop  :)

• Another explanation may be that Keystone Earth represents the Earth that is the closest to reality in the DT stories by which it is the Earth not written or spawned from the mind of Stephen King while the other parallel worlds are alternate versions of Earths written, unwritten or yet to be written by King.

I apologize for thinking too much but the DT series is one of my favorite fantasy series and I want to placate myself with every explanations that can hold all the threads together even if some of them don't because of the way King writes without plotting.

And I thank you Bev for willing to go through this crazy discussion with me.
  • Another hole in the fabric of reality.

How could Jake and Susannah not be from the same Earth when Jack Mort was responsible for both their earlier plights?

And yet Jake meets up with young Eddie in the Co-Op City that is in Brooklyn instead of the Bronx.

Or maybe by preventing Jack Mort from killing that version of Jake in Keystone Earth, Roland has created a temporal paradox through all the realities that has the same Jake in it. Either that or Jake somehow stepped through a thinny and into Eddie's Earth when he went to Brooklyn that day, but this is highly unlikely since death for those from Keystone Earth is said to be final and Jake who dies in the end comes back as Jake Toren.

Also, Enrico Balazar is involved in the whole mix of events in Keystone Earth that linked back to Eddie and suggests he too is from Keystone Earth.

The only solution is perhaps Jake and Eddie like Susannah is also from Keystone Earth but their characters are more fictional creations and less closer to reality in the context of the DT stories while Susannah's character can be called one of the true Keystone characters of Keystone Earth (like her godfather Moses Carver, John Cullum and Deepneau etc). That would explained how Eddie is living in Keystone Earth and yet he grows up in Co-Op City, Brooklyn instead of Co-Op City, The Bronx and why he is the one that becomes the guide for Jake's rebirth into MidWorld.

Shrug. I must be going crazy myself.
  • Sunny you may be insane or crazy - who knows - I do know you're pushing me that way. You're putting way more thought into all this than I ever would dream of doing! ;D
  • Hi Bob.

I think this is the beginning of an affliction called obssession. ;D

But still...I got to figure out something to hold it together or else the Tower will fall all around me and I don't want that for something I like. I try to make sense of it. Sorry :)
  • No problemo Sunny - I guess I should have included teh SKEMERs sarcasm hammer!
  • CRinVA wrote: No problemo Sunny - I guess I should have included teh SKEMERs sarcasm hammer!

Not exactly a hammer but... ;D
  • Here's another (this may be the umpteenth time) thought as to why Roland's journey keeps going around in circles. This after reading Chapter 12 of Bev's book which has something to do with metafiction,

so don't blame me  ;D

Roland's personal quest to find out what is at the top of the Tower will entailed him to understand the nature of his existence and thus attained perfection, in this case to transcend the line between fiction and reality. In short, getting to the top of the Tower for Roland will be akin to Pinocchio becoming a real boy at the end of that story. But Pinocchio is a fairy tale that necessitates a happy ever after ending whilst The Dark Tower is a cautionary epic about art and the act of creation among other things. So, as we know, Roland as a fictional character is doomed to wonder the pages of his story because that's just what he is created from the pen and imagination of King to do. It is simply impossible for him to jump out from the page and into real life. As King mentioned before in the book of the same name, the greatest fictional creation is still nothing more than a Bag of Bones (paraphrasing Thomas Hardy in the process).

Getting to meet the fictional Stephen King in Keystone Earth is the closest Roland is going to get to realizing his personal objective. Remember, Keystone Earth is not reality itself but is the version of Earth in the Dark Tower stories that is closest to reality and the fictional Stephen King is still after all fictional, which is why he keeps on insisting he is not God or Gan but just a facilitator of the latter.

Having said all that I still haven't come to a satisfactory conclusion to my original question regarding Insomnia. Maybe it is hubris as well to think too much of all these questions I have, but like Roland, you can't so easily stop even if you wanted to  :)