Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Motel Hell

edited March 2005 in Short Stories
I just sold a story to the debut issue of Red Scream magazine, a new pro market debuting this spring.

Writers David R. Williams and Richard Moore have joined forces as co-publishers and co-editors of Red Scream magazine. Red Scream's premiere issue is set for a mid-April release with short fiction by Tom Piccirilli, John Everson and Wrath James White.

"The focus of Red Scream is horror in culture and entertainment," said Williams, author of the cult novels Killer Asylum and Twilight in the Spaces Between. "The magazine will feature horror fiction by the newest voices, in-depth film analysis more akin to Bright Lights or Sight and Sound than say, Fangoria, and will look into the darkest corners of the internet."

Red Scream will be published five times a year. Each issue is 64 pages, with a full color cover and black and white interior.

Here's a reported table of contents:

John Everson - Grandma Wanda's Belly Jelly

Wrath James White - Feeding Time

Irreconcilable Differences - J.R. Cain

Motel Hell - Bev Vincent

Apple of My Eye - Amy Grech

Fall of Meltharon - David L. Tamarin

Voyeur's Reward - Darren Franz

Avoid Abduction/Learn Nitjitsu - Tom Piccirilli

Asha - Monica J. O'Rourke

When Pilgrims Clash - Rickey Windell George

Comments

• What is "Motel Hell" about, Bev?
  • It's about a guy whose car breaks down between Point A and Point B and he ends up staying in a little hotel with a dark past and an even darker present.
  • Interesting.

What was the inspiration for the story?
  • I don't recall. I wrote it back in 2002 for another anthology, but it was rejected. The irony is: the anthology was never published and its editor has a story in the same issue of Red Scream.

If it had been published back in 2002, it probably would have made no money at all (small press, royalty only antho) whereas I got pro rates for it now!

Some of the details of the side-of-the-highway town came from a road trip I made with a friend of mine to haul a vanload of equipment to a conference in New Mexico, but that's the only real-world inspiration I can think of.
  • Sometimes that's all the inspiration we need.