Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Tom Gordon on Tom Gordon

edited April 2005 in General news
Gordon delights in talking about his title role in the 1999 Stephen King novel, "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon," a story in which he is a pillar of confidence to a 9-year-old girl lost in the woods of Maine.

Written when Gordon was a closer for the Red Sox, it was released as a pop-up children's book last year.

"It was up to her to close, to seal the deal," King wrote, describing the girl's encounter with a bear. "You had to be still inside in save situations, had to pull your cap down low like Tom Gordon, had to look the opposition in the eye and show you were better."

When King was on a book tour a few years ago, he called Gordon and invited him to lunch. Gordon said that he admired King, but that King had not quite captured his character.

Calm on the inside?

Gordon strives to be, but it is not his nature. Gordon has lasted this long on nervous energy, and it will probably always be his fuel.

"I wouldn't change a thing," he said. "To be aggressive and to be excited, that's a wonderful thing in this game.

"When you're scared, that's something different. But to be excited and aggressive, that's a wonderful thing."

Comments

• Boston City Hall film honcho Patte Papa is reading the script for the big-screen version of King's ``The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon'' which is expected to film in Boston for a few days this summer.

"They want me to think about locations,'' she said. "I'm thinking Fenway Park.''

And why not? It's proven to be Hollywood friendly!

The horror flick about a little girl who gets lost in the woods and whiles away the hours listening to Red Sox games on her Walkman will be directed by the equally creepy George Romero of ``Night of the Living Dead'' fame. After Boston, the crew will head for Maine.

>>> source
  • With Land marching into theaters, Romero now plans to reunite with Stephen King (who wrote the screenplay for Creepshow, Romero's most successful film to date) for an adaptation of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

''But you never know what's going to happen next,'' Romero warns. ``If Land of the Dead scores and the studio wants a sequel, that will probably trump everything else.''

• * Mark my words, Yankees relief pitcher Tom Gordon will be in a Boston Red Sox uniform next season.

Now, I can't say for sure that Gordon, who does become a free agent after this season, will sign on with the Sox this offseason. But he has already agreed to don his former team's garb for at least one day for the sake of cinematic glory.

Gordon has told producers of the impending film, and Stephen King novel, “The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon” that he would make himself available to come to Fenway Park and wear the Red Sox uniform at least one more time.

Originally, Gordon was going to switch sides and put on the Sox gear when the Yankees come to town in late September. But because the movie's pre-production was thrown for a loop (young actress Dakota Fanning recently backed out of portraying the lead role), Gordon, who played with the Sox from 1996-99, will have to wait for his blast from the past.

>>> Source
  • No word on Fanning's replacement yet?
  • Nothing that I've heard.
  • Romero told Dark Horizons this:

Romero: Steve and I go way back and he's a great guy and I wanted to do "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon", which is a wonderful story. I've actually already written the adaptation and wanted Dakota Fanning for the lead role. But Hollywood thought the story was "too soft", especially with my name attached to it so it's on hold for now. But we came VERY close to doing it! Perhaps one day soon.
  • Well Dakota Fanning would be good for that role but maybe she is a little young?

First post Hello everyone!
  • She was already offered the part and turned it down after seriously considering it. Welcome to the board, Cordelia!