Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Your Shoes

edited April 2005 in Short Stories
I wrote a new flash fiction story (750 words) for the Flash Fiction contest at World Horror this year. For the first time in three or four entries, I placed! Tied for second place. Twilight Tales sponsored the event this year and the top three stores will be published on their web page shortly.

The criteria for the stories were that you had to be able to read it in five minutes or less and it had to be a complete story with a beginning, middle and an end. It's a fun event, one of the ones I look forward to most at WHC. Judges this year were F. Paul Wilson, Ellen Datlow and Michael Slade (Jay and Rebecca Clarke).

Comments

• Hey that is awesome and the judges are heavy duty.

Congrats!
  • Brilliant achievement, Bev!

Well done!! :)
  • I should really check higher up on this board FIRST. :D Congrats Bev, that's great news!

Lin
  • I'm really pleased with the response to this story and look forward to when it appears online. It seemed to strike a particular note with the women in the audience.
  • Your Shoes is now up at Twilight Tales. Take a gander--and then read the other stories that were in the contest. I guarantee you that the winner will have you laughing, though it's not for anyone easily offended.
  • So thiws is flash fictionl. That winning story was very strange, of course your 3rd place winner was strange as well. A good quci read! Congrats on placing!

• Stories like that always leave me sort of mystified... like... what would happen next?! Tellmetellmetellme! LOL

Great work Bev. Loved reading something like that from you. :)
  • Sometimes I like to know what happens next, and sometimes I like it when the writer leaves me in the driver's seat to decide what happens next.

I haven't reread the winning story, so perhaps part of it was the dramatic presentation--hearing it read out loud. It had us in stitches.
  • The winning story was amusing :D

The sheep one did nothing for me until the last sentence which was a good image to finish with.

The last one was abit odd too, but I like your's: the one where the minds switched place in the bodies was really good - I am glad we didn't get to see what happened when the woman awoke in the man's body.

I think your's should have won, personally, but second place is a good compromise :)
  • The WHC 2005 Flash Fiction contest winners and judges

Left to right front row: Christopher M. Cevasco (2nd place), Martin Mundt (1st place), Bev Vincent (also 2nd place).

Back row, judges for the competition: F. Paul Wilson; the father-daughter writing team of Michael Slade, Rebecca & Jay Clarke; and Ellen Datlow.
  • Got word this morning that Your Shoes will be released on audio by the folks at Escape Pod in a few (perhaps several) months. I'll let you know more as I learn about it. This will be my first audio release, which is appropriate since the story was first presented to the world when I read it at the flash fiction contest at the World Horror Conference last year.
  • Your Shoes is now up up on Psuedopod in audio. If you have five minutes, check it out. Read by Ben Phillips, the Pseudopod editor.