Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Garden of Earthly Delights (Damned Nation)

edited April 2005 in Short Stories
...will appear in Damned Nation from Hellbound Books.

The complete lineup hasn't been set yet, but other contributors are Poppy Z. Brite, John A. Burks, Jr., William F. Nolan, Randy Chandler, Dan Foley, Eric Grizzle, Gerard Houarner, Weston Ochse, Trever Palmer and Tom Piccirilli.

Target publication date is January '06.

Comments

• Congrats, Bev!

This is a great story, friends. It ALMOST made it into CORPSE BLOSSOMS, but was nudged out by THE SMELL OF FEAR...

• Thanks, Ronnie. It almost made it into John Pelan's Dark Arts right after I wrote it, too. When I got short-listed for that anthology, that was the first hint I had that maybe I could write stories that were halfway decent.

So far 2005 is shaping up to be a banner year for acceptance letters!

• I just realized that the board censor changed the name of the anthology! D*A*MNED NATION!
  • Heh. It changed the name in the link, too. :D

The Board Censor strikes again!
  • That's a riot. The link is:

http://www.hellboundbooks.com/d-a-m-nednation.html

You'll have to copy and paste it into your browser and remove the dashes.
  • The board censor attacks banners now - lmao! ;D
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

I just realized that the board censor changed the name of the anthology! D*A*MNED NATION!

Too funny!! :D Cause really, if it was Darned Nation, it should have read "Heck" is coming. ;)

The censors here have always entertained.

Lin :)
  • Shocklines is now taking preorders for the D*amned Nation anthology. "It's going to be a big bargain at $9.99 and you can put in your preorders now. You won't be charged until the book comes out but you'll get a copy hot off the press as soon as it's published. "
  • Here's the lineup for the anthology. I'm holding my Borderlands position -- second from the end!

"This is Mars" A.H. Jennings

"Das Höllenfeuer" Mark Justice

"The Punishment" Jenny Orosel

"H.E. Double Hockey Stick" Geoffrey Girard

"The Hobo Intervention of Bubby Milkey" Weston Ochse

"Cul-de-sac" William D. Carl

"Tortures of that Inward" Tom Piccirilli

"Wound Man and Horned Melon Go To Hell" Poppy Z. Brite

"Kheller's Treats" Eric S. Grizzle

"Dark Return" William F. Nolan

"Terra Incognita" Randy Chandler

"The Alchemy From the Towers of Silence" Gerard Houarner

"Hell and Half of Georgia" R.W. Day

"in Heat" Trever Palmer

"Killing Puffball" Paul McMahon

"Simon's War" Dan Foley

"Even Hell Breeds Martyrs" Matthew Fryer

"'CRAP!' Said the King" James S. Dorr

"The Everywhere Man" Norman Prentiss

"Funny" Michael Nethercott

"The Garden of Earthly Delights" Bev Vincent

"Message Board" John A. Burks
  • I just reviewed the galley proofs of my story for this anthology. The first time I've read this story in months. Of course, I saw a few little things I probably would have worded differently now, but I'm pretty happy with the way Garden holds up, and am looking forward to seeing the rest of this anthology.
  • The editors received word on preorders for Dam*ned Nation, and the Shocklines preorders, alone, are triple what's normal for Hellbound releases.
  • There's a PODcast interview with the editors of Dam*ned Nation, here
  • I got my contributor copy last night. A great looking anthology and a relative rarity these days -- a paperback original featuring nearly two dozen original stories that costs less than $10. Check it out! William F. Nolan. Poppy Z. Brite. Tom Piccirilli. And others!

http://www.hellboundbooks.com/
  • From an interview with Ellen Datlow:

SW: Continuing on the subject of weird, you and I are both appreciators of Bosch. What is your favorite Bosch painting? What other artists do you like?

ED: The Garden of Earthly Delights.

Maybe she'll read my story of the same name!
  • Horror World review:

Hands down this is a damned good anthology (no pun intended). I honestly liked nearly every story (the one exception I could have probably done without was the shit story, but even then it was kinda funny). If I had to pick a few standout stories, they would be: "Das Hollenfeurer" by Mark Justice, "Cul-de-sac" by William D. Carl, "Tortures of That Inward" by Tom Piccirilli, "Kheller's Treats" by Eric S. Grizzle, "In Heat" by Trever Palmer and "The Garden Of Earthly Delights" by Bev Vincent.
  • Another review

Among the best are the stories by Tom Piccarilli, William D. Carl and R.W. Day. Other stories that stand out include those by Bev Vincent and Eric. S. Grizzle.
  • Hellbound Books, the publisher of Damned Nation, announced that they are closing for business. It's a shame to see a small and energetic publisher like them go away. My experience dealing with them for this anthology was terrific.