Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Stephen King raps for the Red Sox

edited June 2005 in General news
Damon hits right note having Arroyo Punk'd

By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - Updated: 03:15 AM EST

Red Sox pitchman Bronson Arroyo got Punk'd by the Cleveland Indians at Fenway the other night and again by his Idiot-ic bud, Johnny Damon, at Bronson's CD pre-release media op yesterday.

``Oh, they got me good,'' the mound man told the Track after an acoustic performance at Game On! where he debuted ``Covering the Bases.''

The guitarist ``hired'' to help Bronson warm up for yesterday's performance couldn't ``get the songs down,'' which got the hirsute hurler hot under the collar. Of course, the guitarist was just pretending to be a musical Idiot to do just that!

``He was flip-floppin' and out of tune,'' said the rocket-armed rocker. ``But I knew when I saw the cameras from Spike TV, and he said, `Let's just do a Bob Dylan song' - which is too outlaw and no way in the world I would do it - they got me.''

The faux guitarist's musical payback, which came courtesy of Damon, was retaliation for the practical joke Arroyo played on No. 18 nearly two weeks ago. That was when Bronson called Johnny into an office at Fenway to talk to a ``Warner Music record exec'' on speakerphone.

``The guy was telling Johnny how much they loved his voice and wanted him to do lead vocals on `Idiot Nation,' '' Bronson blathered. ``It was so outlandish because Johnny has no musical talent whatsoever. (Damon) kept mouthing the words to us, `We're on Punk'd.' ''

Well, almost!

But talent be damned, Damon provides vocals on Arroyo's final track, ``Dirty Water,'' the homage to the hometown. Johnny, Kevin Youkilis and farm teamer Lenny DiNardo don't sing, they just rap about all their favorite Boston things including: Daisy Buchanan's, female fans who pull up their shirts for home runs, The Rack, Whiskey Park, Kingfish Hall, Avalon, Big Papi, Damon's naked pullups, Curt Schilling being a ``warrior'' and Pedro's midget, Nelson de la Rosa.

``Covering All Bases'' - which also includes an original rap by Sox superfan Stephen King on the cover of the Foo Fighters' ``Everlong'' - will be released July 12.

>>> Source

Comments

• Red Sox pitcher Bronson Arroyo is not part of tonight's All-Star Game, but he assembled another kind of all-star team for a surprisingly solid debut CD, ''Covering the Bases," released today.

Alerts Arroyo is pictured at Fenway Park on the front of the album, but he recorded it mainly in Los Angeles with a powerhouse studio band including electric guitarist Michael Landau (Warren Zevon, James Taylor), acoustic guitarist Tim Pierce (Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen), bassist Leland Sklar (Taylor, Nils Lofgren), bassist Mike Inez (Alice in Chains), and drummer Kenny Aronoff (John Mellencamp, Smashing Pumpkins).

Together, they could probably make many of us sound decent, but Arroyo keeps up with them with impressive baritone vocals. He's no lightweight. What could've been just a vanity project ends up being a rewarding listening experience because of the overall chemistry. And many of the guest artists, including Inez, Aronoff, and Amy Keys (Tears for Fears) will back him tomorrow at a CD release party at Avalon. Novelist Stephen King, who has a spoken-word cameo on Arroyo's album, was also invited to perform.

>>> Complete article
  • Although a rabid Red Sox fan, King had initially been reluctant to contribute. "He said, 'I'm not putting anything down if it's crap,'" Arroyo says. "He was actually really shy. He said, 'I don't like talking to athletes too much.'"