Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The 2nd Annual Dollar Baby Film Festival

edited July 2005 in General news
The 2nd Annual Dollar Baby Film Fest will happen Oct. 1st this year at the University of Maine, Orono

Who is going to this and which Dollar Baby's do you want to see there?

Comments

• SKSM wrote: The 2nd Annual Dollar Baby Film Fest will happen Oct. 1st this year at the University of Maine, Orono

Correction:

The 2nd Annual Dollar Baby Film Festival takes place 9/30/2005-10/1/2005. On Friday September 30th Stephen King's GOTHAM CAFÉ opens the Festival at it's official Premiere held at Hoyt's Cinema in Bangor. Julie Sands, Steve Wozniak and others will be in attendance. A Q&A follows and then a classic King feature will be screened.

The remaining screenings and panels will be held at The University of Maine, Orono on Saturday 10/1.

It should be a great weekend!
  • Turndown turns into acceptance

Area-made short to be shown at Montreal fest; plus other movie notes

By George M. Thomas

Beacon Journal movie critic

The disappointment that came with exclusion from last winter's Sundance Film Festival in Utah gave way to a flurry of exhilaration this week for local filmmaker James Renner as he learned that a short he made in the Akron-Kent area had been accepted for exhibition at the Montreal's World Film Festival.

At first he didn't believe it when receiving the news two weeks ago, Renner said during a phone conversation.

``I thought we might hear from them and they'd say, `Look, there was some sort of mistake,' '' he said with a laugh.

The short, All That You Love Will Be Carried Away, was an adaptation of a Stephen King short story, one of his Dollar Babies, stories that he sells to aspiring filmmakers for a buck. The World Film Festival runs Aug. 26 to Sept. 5, and Renner will definitely be in attendance that first weekend.

``The good thing about the Montreal Film Festival is that there's a film market that runs about the same time, so there's just a lot of networking -- a lot of people to meet out there,'' he said. ``I get to show those scripts I've been working on and, hopefully, I'll make a connection to help me make a feature-length movie.''

He's fairly pragmatic about the entire situation, however.

``We could go up there and the whole thing could be in French. I speak pretty good German, but that might be the wrong language to know up there,'' he said.

Renner submitted Carried Away to 10 of the most prestigious festivals on the planet, including Sundance and Cannes, a move some might view as arrogant.

``It's crazy that we would try to do that, but we didn't want to submit it to some place that wouldn't be great for us.''

Since filming the short, he's toiled away as a reporter for a weekly alternative newspaper in Cleveland, but he's also fixed his gaze on organizing the second Dollar Baby Film Festival in Bangor, Maine, a two-day event Sept. 30 to Oct. 1 that features all of the films based on King's stories.
  • I'm going. Course it helps that I live in the area!

SKSM wrote: The 2nd Annual Dollar Baby Film Fest will happen Oct. 1st this year at the University of Maine, Orono

Who is going to this and which Dollar Baby's do you want to see there?

• Here's a review of Scott Albanese's Dollar Baby, "All That You Love."
  • Report on the festival

I was intrigued to learn about "dollar baby" films a couple of years ago on Joe Bob Briggs' site. Now I've learned that an entire film festival is devoted to dollar babies. A dollar baby is a movie adapted from a Stephen King short story, for which he sold the film rights to independent filmmakers for a dollar. I had no idea there were so many dollar babies in the world: many are short films, but a few are solid low-budget features.

The Dollar Baby Film Festival kicked off on Friday with a gala premiere in Bangor of two of the higher-budget films, relatively speaking. Gotham Cafe is a short film produced by Steve Wozniak, who has a cameo. King himself has a role in the short. Riding the Bullet is a feature with a cast you might actually have heard of before, including David Arquette, Cliff Robertson, and Barbara Hershey. On Saturday, the festival moves to nearby Orono for a full day of dollar-baby films and related panels. If you're in Maine, you can't beat the price: $8 for the premiere and $5 for all-day Saturday. (On the other hand, you could probably make a dollar baby for that kind of money.) If you're not in Maine, you can view some dollar-baby films here. Will King himself be around? Probably only in spirit or onscreen.