Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Quill Awards; voting begins August 15th

edited August 2005 in General news
{The Dark Tower and Faithful were nominated}

The Quill Awards are a consumer-driven celebration of the written word created to inspire reading while promoting literacy. The goals of The Quills are to:

* Celebrate Excellence in Writing and Publishing

* Recognize and praise the creators of important books and great literature

* Interest more consumers in acquiring books and reading

* Act as a bellwether for literacy initiatives

The Quills Nominating Board, comprised of approximately 6,000 invited booksellers and librarians, established the consumer short list from those English language books published in North America and marketed to the United States between August 1, 2004 through July 31, 2005 that meet one of the following criteria:

* Starred reviews in Publishers Weekly  

* Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers Program

* BookSense Picks

* Borders© Original Voices

* Bestseller lists from Publishers Weekly, Book Sense, Barnes & Noble, and Borders

See the nominees here

Comments

• Quite a few good nominations there...I know who I'd like to win :)
  • King and Stewart O'Nan won in the sports category for "Faithful," their chronicle of the Boston Red Sox's 2004 season, when the baseball team broke a decades-long jinx and won the World Series.
  • Stephen King, Doris Kearns Goodwin and former Vice President Al Gore were among the nominees announced Tuesday for the second annual Quills Awards — people's choice prizes trying to catch on with the public.

The awards will be handed out at an Oct. 10 ceremony, hosted by NBC anchor Lester Holt, at the American Museum of Natural History. Admission will range from $1,000 for a single ticket to $75,000 for a "Platinum Sponsorship."

Starting Tuesday and through Sept. 30, voters can make their picks online at http://www.quillsvote.com and at http://www.quills.msnbc.com.

King was nominated in the science fiction/fantasy/horror category for his novel, "The Cell."