Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Be a character in CELL

edited August 2005 in General news
Brian Freeman reports:

Eric Gazin, President of Auction Cause (http://www.auctioncause.com) writes:

"Here is some big news for you - Stephen King is participating in a major charity auction in which he is auctioning off the name and description of a character in a future book."

What Stephen King is offering:

"One (and only one) character name in a novel called CELL, which is now in work and which will appear in either 2006 or 2007. Buyer should be aware that CELL is a violent piece of work, which comes complete with zombies set in motion by bad cell phone signals that destroy the human brain. Like cheap whiskey, it's very nasty and extremely satisfying. Character can be male or female, but a buyer who wants to die must in this case be female. In any case, I'll require physical description of auction winner, including any nickname (can be made up, I don't give a rip)."

When you can bid:

September 8-18

For more information: http://www.ebay.com/fap

Comments

• That is such a cool, idea! :D

Wants to know if the cell-phone-brain-destroying zombies, become flesh-eating monsters...!

Yewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :o

"A new book arriving in a year near you!"

That's my catchphrase people...and I want royalties if anyone else chooses to use it! :P

• As I posted elsewhere, the idea of cell phones creating zombies doesn't come as a surprise. I drove behind a couple of such people today..
  • Bev,

I have driven by, behind, around, next, past several cell chatting zombies myself - even in the rinky dink town of Hudson Falls, New York - just this past weekend.

Why is this amazing. Well for two reasons - one, its illegal in NY State to talk on the cell phone while driving, unless an ear piece or speaker phone is in use, and two, cuz this IS a rinky dink town. I am pretty sure you can almost pass throught he entire town while holding your breath. It's quite small to say the least and most of the old local yokels still think cell phones are a luxury for the rich and famous!

Dam, I grew up there and now the old farts think I am rich and famous! Wish I were - well at least the rich part! ;D
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: As I posted elsewhere, the idea of cell phones creating zombies doesn't come as a surprise. I drove behind a couple of such people today..

The ones I really dislike are the people with those ear-pieces that walk right past you and then say something, and you think they are talking to you, until you see them with the ear-piece.

• DTUK wrote:

The ones I really dislike are the people with those ear-pieces that walk right past you and then say something, and you think they are talking to you, until you see them with the ear-piece.

I've been bit by that bug too Dukky! It's pretty widespread here in the Washington DC area! Of course many are "special" agents protecting the prez! ;D
  • CRinVA wrote:

I've been bit by that bug too Dukky!  It's pretty widespread here in the Washington DC area!  Of course many are "special" agents protecting the prez!  ;D

lol, Bob! ;D
  • Been awhile since I posted anything. Still stop in to read and keep up with the news when I can. Anyway, I had to tell my cell phone zombie story.

My older brother passed away several years ago and my Mom and I flew in to Buena Park, CA for the funeral. We rented a car, and since we would be leaving at an early hour and my Mom doesn't get around so well anymore, I took out the insurance the car rental place offered because I wouldn't have time to get checked in for our flight and deal with the car too. This way I could just drop the car off and not have to have it inspected.

The day of the funeral, I was driving to a flower shop in Buena Park. I was coming up to any intersection and a guy coming from my right ran the red light and turned left right in front of me. I hit him in the side near the rear and he pulled to the curb and got out to check. I also got out and was looking at the rental car, and the fender was pushed into the tire and the front bumper was just hanging there. It wasn't hard enough for the air bags to deploy, but the car wasn't driveable in that condition. When I looked up, the guy who had run the red light was gone! Surprise, surprise! I stood there for a few minutes waiting for the cops to show up, but none did (never around when you need them, right?) so I walked to a business on the corner and called them myself. I got back to the corner where the car was and was waiting for the light to change so I could go back to it. I looked up and here comes this Volvo and I could see the guy talking on his cell phone. He was looking out the side window and just yakking away. The only problem is, he's in the same lane as the disabled rental car! I had the four-ways flashing and everything! I tried to catch his attention but couldn't. Next thing you know, BANG!!! he hit the rental car in the rear so hard that his front bumper went underneath the back end of my rental car! I just stood on the corner, shaking my head. It was like something out of the Keystone Cops. When the cops got there, he said he was talking to a guy in the building across the street who was giving him directions to that building. I was so happy I had taken out the insurance. My credit card includes coverage on rental cars, but you have to pay the car rental place first and then you deal with your credit card company to get the money back. All I had to do was call the rental company and tell them where their car was towed to and then sign a paper the next day at the airport.
  • Good to see you weren't hurt, Jolycu! That sounds nasty.
  • I was going to make a token bid in this auction, just to say that I'd participated, but by the time I checked it this morning, the bid was over $12,000!
  • A SKEMER friend of mine made an $8,000+ bid just to say she bid and then did a print screen of the thing that said she had the highest bid! Then she hoped like hell it would go up! It did in no time. Gee this auction is less than 1 day old and already over $12K! Yikes!
  • Any bets on how high this thing will go?

I'm saying it will be over $20,000!

John
  • That sounds about right to me. $25,000.
  • I hadn't stopped to consider that the winning bids in this charity auction are tax deductable "to the fullest extent allowed by the law," according to the FAP FAQ. I'm still not upping the $12,500 current bid, though!
  • This bidding is really getting serious!!

I'll say it will reach around $30-40,000 mark, with a mid-way probability of $35,000.

There, all the bases between $30-40,000 are covered :)
  • It's now up to US $15,901.99 and that is after 2 days (8 to go). I am blown away...to say the least. :o

Lilja
  • $17,800 and still counting!

I think my $20,000 top was too low!

John
  • $18,300 - 69 bids

That's a lotta beans man! :o
  • No matter the told figure raised for the person's name to be in a book, we are talking about being immortalised in a King book - priceless!
  • Yeah, if you have an od name that is. If you have one that every 3rd person have it's not so fun and unice...

Lilja
  • Another bunch o'bids and it's now at $19,290.19
  • My prediction: $29,750 ;) I knew this would go high, but this is unbelieveable! :o Wonder if they'll post the winner's name after the end of the auction?
  • I think it should stop where it is -- starts with 19 and ends with 19!
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: I think it should stop where it is -- starts with 19 and ends with 19!

That would add symmetry to the occassion :)
  • currently $19,999

that is a good stopping place as well!
  • Final bid was $25,100. Not as much as I actually thought it would be, but more than I initially thought.

My wife told me to bid $30,000. I asked her if she were serious, and she said if I did, she'd pay it with my life insurance--because she'd kill me! I didn't bid! ;D

John