Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Deer of St. Bart's

edited August 2005 in Short Stories
Had another short story accepted today, but I can't say where for the time being until the official announcement. Stay tuned to this space for more details as they become available!

Comments

• At last, I can announce that this story is in SHIVERS IV from Cemetery Dance

Here's the full table of contents:

"Prohibited" by Kealan Patrick Burke

"Last Exit For The Lost" by Tim Lebbon

"The Screamers at the Window" by T.M. Wright

"The Man in the Palace Theater" by Ray Garton

"Pumpkin-Witch" by Tim Curran

"LZ-116: Das Fliegenschloss" by Stephen Mark Rainey

"Something to Be Said For the Waiting" by Brian Freeman

"Jack-Knife" by Gemma Files

"The Spook" by Randy Chandler

"Ever After" by John R. Little

"The Bittersweet Deafening Sound of Nothing at All" by Robert Morrish

"Up in the Boneyard" by Keith Minnion

"Mom and Dad At Home" by Ed Gorman

"Should Old Acquaintance Be Forgot" by Bill Walker

"In the Best Stories" by Norman Prentiss

"Poetic Justice" by William F. Nolan

"Dust" by Brian Keene

"The Deer of St. Bart's" by Bev Vincent

"The Man in the Other Car" by Al Sarrantonio

"Liturgical Music For Nihilists" a novella by Brian Hodge

• Well done, Bev!! :)
  • Congrats Bev dahling! :) I sense another meet in Toronto soon before you become too famous! :D

Lin
  • A read this one in Shivers IV today.

Wow.  You academics are thugs.  Note to self:  Never join any group that has a secret playbook.  These f'ers are hardcore.

I do want to know though:

"Why --  in some traditions -- Artemis decided not to sacrifice Iphigenia, but later killed Orion for what might be deemed a lesser offense."

Or, direct me to place where I can read why.  Unless of course this is all your fiction ponderings.

Honestly, I learn so much from people's works.  I enjoy the story first and foremost, but I also do research on things that they put in their stories that might be worth learning about.
  • There are many versions of the Greek myth. Here's one and here's another.

This story was inspired by a brief encounter I had while on a Sunday walk through the gardens of Magdalen College in the summer of 1984. I met up with a guy I knew from the lab who told me of the tradition of the deer, with the funny punch line that plays out in this story.

This story was inspired by a brief encounter I had while on a Sunday walk through the gardens of Magdalen College in the summer of 1984. I met up with a guy I knew from the lab who told me of the tradition of the deer, with the funny punch line that plays out in this story.
    Interesting reading.  Thank you.  

I have people who say, why do you do this?  Just read the damn story.  Which I do. But when an author throws something into his story that intrigues me, I look it up to see, is this just something fictional made up? Or is this a truth, or based on a fact?  Max Brooks's survival Zombie novels, I looked stuff up.  Survival tips.  Thomas F. Monteleone's book SUBMERGED, I looked stuff up.  These are two that immediately jump in my head.  But I do it often.

And I do it not to be obnoxious, like I'm going to catch someone in a lie or inaccuracy. I honestly want to learn about the stuff mentioned in the stories.  It just gives another layer to the story for me.

And wait.  This is actually something they did at the college?  Tradition implies, yes.  Yes it was.

These secret societies and their secret handshakes...and killing.   :D
  • The guy I met told me that the number of deer in the park matched the number of "fellows" of the college. Whenever a fellow dies, they dispatch a deer. Unfortunately, he told  me with a straight face, the other day a deer died...
  • The guy I met told me that the number of deer in the park matched the number of "fellows" of the college. Whenever a fellow dies, they dispatch a deer. Unfortunately, he told  me with a straight face, the other day a deer died...
    yikes.