Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Susannah Question - spoiler

edited August 2005 in Dark Tower
Contains DT7 Spoiler

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why Susannah felt compelled to ditch Roland's gun when entering the Toren brothers' world?

I tried to the search the forum to see if anyone had commented on this before. I'm not very bb-savy so please direct me to the appropriate link if it's already been discussed. There's probably an obvious answer to this, but it has me stumped.

This scene was shocking to me considering how the gun had saved her and Eddie on many occassions. It was also her Roland's whom I believed she really cared for and respected. Then she just dumped it in a trashcan. Was this part of the "glammer" that was starting to erase her memory of the quest?

This is my first post although I've been lurking for awhile. I really like the positive community here!

Comments

• Susannah had to choose between being a gunslinger or not being a gunslinger. A gunslinger would have stayed with Roland. She opted for a life with Jake and Eddie. There was no room for a revolver in that world.

Welcome to my little forum, by the way, and I hope you'll stick around and post more often!
  • Welcome, Bama :)
  • Bama wrote: Contains DT7 Spoiler

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why Susannah felt compelled to ditch Roland's gun when entering the Toren brothers' world?

I tried to the search the forum to see if anyone had commented on this before. I'm not very bb-savy so please direct me to the appropriate link if it's already been discussed.  There's probably an obvious answer to this, but it has me stumped.

This scene was shocking to me considering how the gun had saved her and Eddie on many occassions. It was also her Roland's whom I believed she really cared for and respected.  Then she just dumped it in a trashcan. Was this part of the "glammer" that was starting to erase her memory of the quest?

This is my first post although I've been lurking for awhile. I really like the positive community here!

Hey Bama and welcome, stop lurking, come on out! :) OMG, that part in DTVII made me cry as much as other events, it seemed so ... UGH...FINAL... I was P*I*S*S*E*D at Susannah... anyways, I could understand from one point of view that the revolver didn't have a place in her new life.. but still. UGH I say.

Anyways, nice to meet you.

Lin :)
  • funny this discussion comes up taday! I just listened to this part on my commute in this morning! It's a small world - even if there are "other worlds than this!"
  • Thanks for the welcome and the clarification!

I really liked the female characters in DT, especially Susannah, and I guess I'd hoped for something more for her departure from the series. A more heartfelt thanks to Roland or a surrendering of the gun, instead of her hiding behind Detta. She'd been through so much, surely she could have handled a proper good-bye without being forced into it?

It seems in a lot of fantasy and sci-fi the female characters are so flat. They're either the damsels in distress, objects of lust, or brutish warriors. Susannah and those great ladies of Oriza (I loved them!) were brave and smart but also feminine.

All in all, I'm glad she is reunited with Eddie. But it's not the true Eddie, right?
  • Bama wrote: Thanks for the welcome and the clarification!

I really liked the female characters in DT, especially Susannah, and I guess I'd hoped for something more for her departure from the series. A more heartfelt thanks to Roland or a surrendering of the gun, instead of her hiding behind Detta. She'd been through so much, surely she could have handled a proper good-bye without being forced into it?

It seems in a lot of fantasy and sci-fi the female characters are so flat. They're either the damsels in distress, objects of lust, or brutish warriors. Susannah and those great ladies of  Oriza (I loved them!) were brave and smart but also feminine.

All in all, I'm glad she is reunited with Eddie. But it's not the true Eddie, right?

Hi again, I see you came out of lurkdom, that's nice! :) I think Stephen King has rare gift of writing female characters in most of his books who are not only believeable but that you can feel empathy for quite easily, provided you don't hate them with a passion like a Rhea of the Coos for example, but even she had her merits as a well-written character! I did not like W&G, so Susan Delgado sort of fell a bit flat for me, but that's a very rare occurence.

I agree, that in the final wrap-ups there were a few instances where departure could have been more "grand", certainly Susannah's is one of those, as is Walter's. But... can't have everything I guess.

No that's not the Eddie that Susannah originally knew and loved, but he is Eddie of THAT world. I'm not sure that I liked how that played out entirely, but I was so sad about Eddie to begin with I was just grateful that he could carry on somewhere, somehow!

Lin